Page 1 of 1

Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:01 am
by Hotwire
Hi all,

I am wanting to get coilovers for my Liberty to give it the stance I want, but have a question for those with kids:

Who has young children (under 2yo) and lowered suspension of any kind?
How do you find the ride difference, i.e. does it cause them to wake if asleep?

On stock struts and 225/40/18 tyres I can keep my son asleep in the car, but worry if the extra firmness may cause him to wake on longer drives etc

So I would love to hear some first hand experiences with different setups - i.e. whether you have bilstein + springs, KYB + springs, coilovers etc. If you can tell me your spring rates, and how your kids go would be great!

Thanks,
Lee

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 am
by nytrojen
tell me your spring rates, and how your kids go would be great!


Pedo alert!

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:40 am
by Hotwire
nytrojen wrote:
tell me your spring rates, and how your kids go would be great!


Pedo alert!


What the f**k :?:

I have a 2yo son who i'm worried will get woken by bumps/undulations with firm suspension, so I asked an honest question of how others kids go with sleep/discomfort in the car with lowered suspension

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 am
by nytrojen
Chillax bud. I know what you meant, just had a bit of a chuckle when I read that bit :P

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:32 pm
by Kevlar GT
My boy is a bit older than yours but I've always had cars with lower/firmer suspension in them, back to when he was first in his childs seat. I think unless you hit a MASSIVE bump in the road then kids being kids will just sleep through. My lad is 7 now and he still manages to stay asleep when we drive. I've got tiens on my car but I couldn't tell you the spring rate. Not that solid that the wife complains so about perfect.

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:37 pm
by garbo41610
from my experience, coilovers can be quite progressive depending on the setting... i.e. 1 being the softest and 20 being the hardest. the softer settings can be pretty comparable to standard spring/damper rates IMO.

however, I will say that I don't have kids but I do have chronic back problems (4 L5/S1 operations in 10 months including a fusion) so I think i can provide some input on comfort etc.

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 pm
by Hotwire
Kevlar GT wrote:My boy is a bit older than yours but I've always had cars with lower/firmer suspension in them, back to when he was first in his childs seat. I think unless you hit a MASSIVE bump in the road then kids being kids will just sleep through. My lad is 7 now and he still manages to stay asleep when we drive. I've got tiens on my car but I couldn't tell you the spring rate. Not that solid that the wife complains so about perfect.


Kev can you tell me the model of your Teins - then I can find out what rates, e.g.
Super Wagon are 5kg/6kg F/R
Super Flex Wagon are 6kg/6kg F/R

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:55 pm
by Kevlar GT
garbo41610 wrote:however, I will say that I don't have kids but I do have chronic back problems (4 L5/S1 operations in 10 months including a fusion) so I think i can provide some input on comfort etc.

I had my back sliced open and the same area hacked to pieces by a butcher disguised as a medical professional 16 years ago now and my current set up has caused me the least grief in the time since then.

Hotwire wrote:Kev can you tell me the model of your Teins - then I can find out what rates, e.g.
Super Wagon are 5kg/6kg F/R
Super Flex Wagon are 6kg/6kg F/R


Here you go mate, tracked this onfo down for you.
Reference: Tein Premium Spec Cruising Master Comfort Sport Coilover Damper Kit, Tein Type CS Coilover Damper Kit, Tein Premium Spec Comfort Sport Coilover Damper Kit

Front Rear
Spring Rate (kgf-mm/lbs-in) Front: 5/280 Rear: 6/336
Ride Height Drop (in.) -0.9 -0.6
Min Ride Height Adjustment Range (in.) -1.6 -1.6
Max Ride Height Adjustment Range (in.) -0.6 1.2
Upper Mount Type Rubber

The longest trip I have made with these coilovers and my son in the car was from Canberra to Brisbane (and return). On the return leg he slept for about 9 of the 14 hours we were on the road.

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:36 pm
by LGT-05T
hey mate,
my daughter is now about a year and a half and i have had the car lower since she was 6 months old. standard suspension, just compressed springs, alot stiffer than standard and i have never had a problem with her waking up or anything like that... so i guess if you go coilovers you will have a much better ride then me. car is lowered 2 1/4 at rear and 1 3/4 at the front

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:59 pm
by Spec B Wgn
i know where your coming from mate..

we have a 2 yr old and when i put 19"s on the wgn and went to a 35 profile you feel every bump and it makes a difference if
you have a sensitive child..

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:18 pm
by SiLeNcA
Ive got BC Coilovers in my car and from first hand experience and my opinion is the ride is alot more rough! with coilovers you can feel absolutely everything!.....a little less if you have your dampeners to extremely soft but compared to the stock suspension you will definately feel the difference especailly on our crap house australian roads!
It coulds also depend on your tyres, when i swaped my tyres to lower profile it also made a difference with ride comfort. All depends in my opinion but the more you do the more you'll notice it =)

Re: Lowering + Young Children = ???

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:59 am
by Arith
The Tein Type Flex coilovers have a springs rate of 6 for the front and 6 for the rear, a very good compromise between performance and comfort. As Phat has told me, if you leave it on the lowest/softest setting, it's equivalent if not softer than stock. A really comfortable, if not wavey, ride. I have mine set to the middle, which a touch firmer than the Tein S.Tech/Bilstein setup, but still very comfortable, especially with x2 kids in the backseat.

And yes, what tire type and brand will make a difference as well. Some tires have great grip but you'll feel every single bump and pebble on the road. Others will be more comfortable, quiet, and smooth. I'm running the Marangoni's at the moment. Nice, quiet, and comfortable tire. All in all the kids don't seem too fazed with the setup. If they are sleepy they'll sleep and the ride won't be jittery to the point of waking them up unless you're on some really crappy roads.