Page 1 of 1
Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:19 pm
by sublime
Hey guys,
I've recently purchased a set of rims and am now in the market for new tyres. I've decided on the pattern 225/40/18 but am really racking my brain on what tyre to purchase.
The car is mainly used for daily driving and the odd spirited drive; it won't be taken on the track.
I've read through a number of threads on what tyres others are using and what they have recommended and have compiled a list from what you have previously suggested (see below). My budget is about $250 per corner.
Your opinion is much appreciated.
Bridgestone
RE050A
RE001
Falken
RT615
Hankook
V12 K110
Federal
SS - 595
Kumho
Ku31
Ku36
Re: Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 pm
by senator
Currently got ku 36's fitted, my oem 050a lasted about 40k, but had very little grip towards the end, good tyre but replacement were around the $450 each mark for the size your after, my ku 36's were around $800 ish for a set.
The ku 36's a nice and soft with firm side walls, even at 43 psi they soak up the cats eyes well, I have pushed them in the wet a few times and was impressed with them…… some other members say they are a little skittish in the wet…. I must have not been pushing hard enough
The advantages with ku 36's is the inside thread is deeper so running more negative camber up front doesn't wear out the tyres as quick.
Btw the rt 615…… aren't they a semi slick r spec tyre???? Or do I have them confused with something else. I did run these on my previous car for the track, they had a great hard compound, awesome in the dry…. Shocking in the wet
Hope that helps
Re: Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:02 pm
by Hobber
I haven't tried them but the P Zero Neros have been suggested as a good tyre and much cheaper than the RE050A.
Re: Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:58 pm
by teK--
$250 a tyre will rule out the RE050A which as mentioned are 400+
I have used both those and the RE001 and although the RE001 was just over half the price they are still perform great for the money. Sidewalls are a bit softer than RE050A and tyre is consequently a bit less communicative of the road and also when they are about to let go. Other than that I am really happy with the wear rate, they are good in the wet I have used them on autocross successfully.
KU36 are not a good all weather tyre as they will aquaplane easily, but are great for the summer, high wear rate but very sticky as long as you don't overheat them (their tolerance is good but not excellent). Very good value for money for what they are.
Re: Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:01 pm
by smythie
I don't know how many of those would fit under a $250 budget. If they do, you'd better be checking the date code on the tyres. Then again 225/40R18 is probably a cheaper size than 215/45R18

Onto personal experience, previous set were Yokohama Advan Sports (V103). Pretty good tyre all round. Got a bit loud after 15,000km (as the tyre wore past the fine cuts in the tread).
Currently have Pilot Preceeda 2's. Cost more than the Yoko's but I don't think they are noticeably better, except in the noise stakes. Have done nearly 12,000km on them so far and still gripping well
Re: Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:47 pm
by teK--
The Preceda are excellent tyres I had them on my modded Magna; I just couldn't afford to keep running them after a while at $350 a corner. Very quiet and reasonable wear rate but performed brilliantly when driven hard.
Re: Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:19 pm
by adhar
I bought the KU36's the other day in that exact size for $239 a tyre. Cool looking tread, grip is near the re050s but not quite as good. Good value for money. Did i mention a cool looking tread?

Re: Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 pm
by sublime
Thanks all for your input, appreciate it.
Re: Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:25 am
by smythie
Another thing I forgot to mention, if you end up (for whatever reason) going Yokohama stay well clear of the A10A. Even the Yoko rep I spoke to said that despite costing more than the V103 they were in no way their flagship tyre. After driving a Gen V Lib fitted with them I can confirm the odd comment you may/may not have read in reviews of the current Lancers - no where near as much grip as a decent tyre. At least they start howling REALLY early to warn you. At least the Nankangs that were originally on my car when I bought it were decent in the dry (but scarily horrid in the wet

)
Re: Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:24 pm
by zoidberg99
I just bought the KU31 Khumos. have only had them on for a day but they seem to be pretty good. they handle quite well in the wet ( i was pretty stoked with the rain last night cause it gave me an oppertunity to test them out). They were $250 a pop.
Re: Opinion on tyres

Posted:
Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:07 pm
by The Sean
Does anyone have any exposure / driven on the Hankook V12 K110s?
Thus far, I can get the best price on them ($245 ea) but for a bit more I can get the Kumho KU31s ($285).
Any feedback would be great
Oh yer, my guy can get the Bridgestones for a scary $485 each (yer, nah)