Page 1 of 2

Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:25 am
by GorGasm
Hi there,
I'm in the market for some lowering springs for my 05 3.0R B and i'm wondering whether the following H&R springs will fit the bilstein shocks:

http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguide.p ... |%20Legacy

Or should i just go out and grab some kings 'low' springs?
I think i would prefer H&R as I have a local contact to purchase them from, i just need to know the correct fitment.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:04 am
by Hotwire
H&R without a doubt. 8)

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:53 am
by teK--
+1 I wouldn't castrate a set of Bilsteins by fitting King Springs to them. Your distributor friend should be able to confirm fitment.

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:10 am
by GTSPECB STI
I say get yourself a set of swift sport lowering springs like I did. Nice drop and works perfectly with the Bilsteins. Buy them locally from Nick at http://www.entra.com.au/store.php?view= ... category=6

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:59 pm
by CheesyMong
I run Kings and they are fine, the only issue is the lowering of the front is not enough.

I'd recommend the Teins Phat can get that are custom made for the Bili's

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:41 pm
by todda189
CheesyMong wrote:I run Kings and they are fine, the only issue is the lowering of the front is not enough.

I'd recommend the Teins Phat can get that are custom made for the Bili's

i also have the kings and the front doesnt even look like it has dropped any !!
how much are the teins worth from phat and how low will it sit in the front?

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:56 pm
by DJC
Yeah i've also got the Kings and follow the sentiment of the guys above, too high up front. If you can get the H&R's i'd go that route.

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm
by sh1ft
i've got HD low kings had no prob, yeh could sit bit lower at the front but with an sti front lip it looks fine.

for less than the price of s-techs/H&R spings i got the full set of kings and front and rear HD white line adjustible swaybars, the choice was clear to me :D

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:22 pm
by CheesyMong
todda189 wrote:
CheesyMong wrote:I run Kings and they are fine, the only issue is the lowering of the front is not enough.

I'd recommend the Teins Phat can get that are custom made for the Bili's

i also have the kings and the front doesnt even look like it has dropped any !!
how much are the teins worth from phat and how low will it sit in the front?


It is actually the thing I hate most about my car is the way it sits at the front, so if you are a fussy bastard like me then do not get the kings.

When I have the cash it is coilovers all the way, or the teins IMO

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:58 am
by Arith
todda189 wrote:i also have the kings and the front doesnt even look like it has dropped any !!
how much are the teins worth from phat and how low will it sit in the front?

I think it's a QA issue on part of King Springs. When I had my MY05 GT, I was on Pedders and they were quite decent for strictly street use. However I always thought the front could be a bit lower (this was before I discovered the joys of coilovers), so I went to my suspension person and he said he could get a set of King Springs for the front, which is listed as being lower than the Pedders.

But as soon as the Kings were put in at the front, they actually sat higher than Pedders, practically near stock height. The guy called King and double checked the part number. Yes, it's the right one for the 'lowered' springs. King Springs does make a set for the Liberty that keeps the ride height the same as stock, but it's a different part number. I suspect they have put the wrong part number either in the catalogue or on the springs that's supposed to be the lowered one for one of the batches. This explains why some people complain that the fronts don't lower at all, while others see them pretty low.

In any case, the Kings lasted 2 days before I threw them out.

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:49 am
by sh1ft
????????? I measured mine before and after i put the springs in and it dropped 40mm (front) 45mm (rear).

they must have given you the wrong springs

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 am
by Arith
sh1ft wrote:????????? I measured mine before and after i put the springs in and it dropped 40mm (front) 45mm (rear).

they must have given you the wrong springs

Nope. The springs had the exact same part number as the one listed in their catalogue as 'low', with a drop of 30-40mm. It was verified by my suspension person over the phone with King customer service.

That's why I'm saying it could have been an internal QA issue, as they must have put the wrong part number on a batch of springs meant as the heavy duty OEM replacement (with no height reduction).

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:12 am
by GorGasm
Looking into getting tein s-techs now, against my better judgement. I can't seem to find enough info on the H&R to say they will give me the right look.

Had S-techs in my stagea and they were terrible, spring rates on the legacy ones look better though.

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:37 pm
by GorGasm
Picked up a set of prova adjustable coilovers for very cheap. Installed them last weekend and they're mint. Ride is quite bumpy but works suprisingly well on the shitty back roads in NZ.
Next is wheels!

Re: Gen4 lowering springs. H&R or Kings?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:24 pm
by Arith
GorGasm wrote:Picked up a set of prova adjustable coilovers for very cheap.

Nice! Those are some mighty fine coilovers! Are they the Eifels? Those would be something I'd trade in my Teins for because they have that extra chamber like the Ohlins.

Image