Page 1 of 1

Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:40 am
by 04GTLIB
Guys.
I wanted to ask if there is much difference between the standard rear calipers on the MY04 GT's and the Brembo rear calipers?
I understand the front calipers are a substantial leap forward in performance (being a 4 piston calipers over two piston caliper) but is there a performance difference in the rears.
I have seen a front set of Brembo's for sale to suit the wagon, but don't want to outlay the coin if the rear's are really needed.
Hope this makes sense guys.

Cheers,
Rusty.

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:36 am
by adhar
Well, i reckon they LOOK better! :P

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:05 pm
by Kevlar GT
I've been running fronts only on my wagon and the car doesn't feel 'unbalanced' when braking.

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:19 pm
by tangcla
Really only noticeable on heavy braking and cornering situations, ie track.

I'm actually rethinking the big brake setup altogether as it's not really necessary on the street.

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:32 pm
by Kevlar GT
tangcla wrote:Really only noticeable on heavy braking and cornering situations, ie track.

I'm actually rethinking the big brake setup altogether as it's not really necessary on the street.


You and me alike. I was talking of this when we were doing the stuff on Gunna's car on the weekend.

Might be an eoi opening up soon for a full set of brembo's with all the bits. :wink:

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:00 pm
by teK--
tangcla wrote:Really only noticeable on heavy braking and cornering situations, ie track.

I'm actually rethinking the big brake setup altogether as it's not really necessary on the street.


You should track your car tangles :D

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:25 am
by 04GTLIB
Thanks to all for your replies.

I think I'll just look at a set of slotted rotor's and a better set of pads.

Cheers,
Rusty.

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:12 am
by tangcla
Kevlar GT wrote:Might be an eoi opening up soon for a full set of brembo's with all the bits. :wink:

I've called shotgun.

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:30 pm
by Lib 3.0LR
Hi Rusty,I was thinking the same here's some prices I got to get the wagon stopping a little bit better :lol:

Front DBA rotors..
4000 series (one piece) $225 each
5000 series (two piece) $441 each

Rear DBA rotors
4000 series $216 each

Hawk Ceramic Brake pads..
Front $181.00 a set
Rear $160.00 a set

Break Lines;
Front $230.00
Rear $535.00
Bottles of Brembo Break Fluid $25.76 each


Jamie from V-SPORTS told me over the phone that,the car will stop really good .So save your money on the Brembos :wink:
Cheers George

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:57 pm
by swingn
Upgrading just the fronts is a good street upgrade IMO... However, if you're wanting to get the best performance out of your brakes, then upgrading both ends if the way to go :D

I'm a fan of balance... You can have the best brakes up front, but then your car may pitch forward &/or put unnecessary load on the front brakes. This was evident in my first brake upgrade to DBA4000 rotors with better quality pads up front only... Killed the rotors & pads within 24,000kms.

Kevlar GT wrote:I've been running fronts only on my wagon and the car doesn't feel 'unbalanced' when braking.


I thought the same thing until I had my rears installed... trust me it makes a difference :D

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:34 pm
by 04GTLIB
Lib 3.0LR wrote:Hi Rusty,I was thinking the same here's some prices I got to get the wagon stopping a little bit better :lol:

Front DBA rotors..
4000 series (one piece) $225 each
5000 series (two piece) $441 each

Rear DBA rotors
4000 series $216 each

Hawk Ceramic Brake pads..
Front $181.00 a set
Rear $160.00 a set

Break Lines;
Front $230.00
Rear $535.00
Bottles of Brembo Break Fluid $25.76 each


Jamie from V-SPORTS told me over the phone that,the car will stop really good .So save your money on the Brembos :wink:
Cheers George


Awesome post George.
Thanks heaps mate.

Rusty.

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:54 pm
by teK--
swingn wrote:Upgrading just the fronts is a good street upgrade IMO... However, if you're wanting to get the best performance out of your brakes, then upgrading both ends if the way to go :D

I'm a fan of balance... You can have the best brakes up front, but then your car may pitch forward &/or put unnecessary load on the front brakes. This was evident in my first brake upgrade to DBA4000 rotors with better quality pads up front only... Killed the rotors & pads within 24,000kms.

Kevlar GT wrote:I've been running fronts only on my wagon and the car doesn't feel 'unbalanced' when braking.


I thought the same thing until I had my rears installed... trust me it makes a difference :D


Isn't it the job of the electronic brake distribution system to control the front/rear bias? I.e. if the fronts are overpowering the back it applies the rear brakes more.

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:30 am
by swingn
teK-- wrote:Isn't it the job of the electronic brake distribution system to control the front/rear bias? I.e. if the fronts are overpowering the back it applies the rear brakes more.


Not as far as I'm aware - But I'm not claiming to be an expert mind you :P

EBD to my knowledge is a system that applies more brake pressure if it senses you've gotten on the anchors suddenly... IE - Something pulls out in front of you & you obviously need to pull up ASAP... It's just another computer controlled wank IMO.

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:46 am
by teK--
According to Wikipedia:

How EBD works

As per SAE technical paper #920646 - Buschmann et al. "The job of the EBD as a subsystem of the ABS system is to control the effective adhesion utilization by the rear wheels. The pressure of the rear wheels is approximated to the ideal brake force distribution in a partial braking operation. To do so, the conventional brake design is modified in the direction of rear axle overbraking, and the components of the ABS are used. EBD reduces the strain on the hydraulic brake force proportioning valve in the vehicle. EBD optimizes the brake design with regard to: adhesion utilization; driving stability; wear; temperature stress; and pedal force."

What you're thinking of Matty is a system called electronic brake assist, whereby the car can sense your "urgency" in breaking, and apply more braking effort if it deems it's required. It is especially useful since studies have shown that a lot of drivers do not press the pedal hard enough for emergency braking situations.

Re: Brembo rear caliper's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:18 am
by smythie
You're best checking with Subaru as to how their EBD system works. The SAE paper describes how Buschmann et al believe such a system should be implemented - manufacturers are known to apply different interpretations of standards when naming systems in their products