Page 1 of 1

Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:41 pm
by pplwu
Just recent happened whenever I turn left I can hear sound similar to ooooohhhhhhhhhhh (higher pitch tho) and very resonante somehow. It is coming from rear for sure. Does anyone know what could be the cause? tyres? my differencial? whats broken?!

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 pm
by pplwu
by the way, i only get that noise when i turn LEFT..

and the sound is more like wooohnnn wooohnn... (higher pitch)

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:21 pm
by Q
Definitely a leprechaun stuck in the tyre tread....... :lol:

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:55 pm
by pplwu
yeah that'll be interesting!!

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:17 pm
by Arith
Has it only started recently? Check your tires for rubbing against the guard since you have only +38mm offset on those Advans?

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:33 pm
by nytrojen
I started hearing this really weird "vooooooohn" noise when i turned the wheel full lock and was getting freaked out... until i realised it was the power steering pump, lol.

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:47 pm
by pplwu
yeah just recently actually I checked but the advans are not rubbing, if it were actually rubbing wouldn't it be a different sound? like shhoooooooh.. :) so if it is rear could it be the pump?

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:03 pm
by Sentinel
Is it a constant noise or oscillating? i.e. something around the wheels / brake / rotor (oscillating) or constant like p/s pump, diff issues etc.

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:37 pm
by zero1
Its most likely the power steering pump, it produces a mechanical whirring noise (thats the best description i can come up with), and its most prominant when the steering wheel is fully locked in either direction.

first time i heard it i was s***ing myself, thought i broke my car. Oh well thats how quiet the liberty interior is!!

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:50 pm
by smythie
that was my first thought but on re-reading the original post, I noticed that he's saying the noise is coming from the rear. Power steering pump noise will be coming from the front

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:20 am
by zero1
oh yeah, guess it may not be the power steering pump after all. wonder what it could be?

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:14 am
by Ric
You need someone to stand outside the car when you do it, and try to determine the location a bit more exactly.

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:47 am
by UrbanGTB
I get the same problem when when I turn left slowly and then accelerate out of the corner really hard and the wheels try to slip, mine isn't from the rear though, its definitely not from the front. Does't sound bad, I assumed it could be an exhaust heat shield creaking under the torque.

Re: Strange noise when turn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:30 pm
by adhar
pplwu wrote:Just recent happened whenever I turn left I can hear sound similar to ooooohhhhhhhhhhh (higher pitch tho) and very resonante somehow. It is coming from rear for sure. Does anyone know what could be the cause? tyres? my differencial? whats broken?!


Don't you just love the sound of a high pitch ooooooohhhhhh coming from the back of your car! :wink: :wink: hehe