Page 1 of 1

Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 pm
by teK--
For those who have uprated their swaybars or lowered their cars, which endlinks are you using?

From what I have read there are various options available each with their pitfalls:

Available in Oz:
- AVO solid metal endlinks, the bushes have been reported to fall apart from stress within 6-12 months.
- AVO adjustable endlinks, the locking adjustment either moves, or the mounting stud strips its thread.
- Whiteline spherical link or any other brand of spherical link design - NOISE NOISE NOISE, rattling noises. (race use only).
- Superpro do not make them for Gen IV, I do not know of any other locally available type of endlink.

Shipped from USA:
- Kartboy (similar bushing design to the AVO solid metal, also same problem with bushings reported)
- Perrin (variance of the AVO/Kartboy design however minimal long-term evaluation feedback for these)
- Rallitek HD links (copies OEM design but with uprated shaft diameter). These appear to the ones to buy however $160.00USD :shock: SHIPPING cost from USA? The links themselves are only $70USD for each pair!

The front stock endlinks look frail as anything; they have a plastic joint on them and are known to pop apart without trying very hard. The rear links look *OK* but I wouldn't give them that long either.

Re: Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:48 pm
by senator
I agree with all pit falls you have listed above….. hence why I run the oem ones, I too had the same perception of them when my sways and lower braces were be installed, after 6 tracks and lots of spirited driving, I can report the oem end links hold up very well, for the tooth picks :lol:

I am currently running front and rear cusco sways, and lower braces and tein s techs, …… not sure about the diameter, I think 24 front and solid 22 rear…don’t quote me

The only failure I have ever heard about happening when running a 32mm front sway with oem end links

Re: Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:54 pm
by tangcla
I've got the AVO adjustable ones, haven't checked the locking nut for looseness since I fitted it though :lol: will do it next time I've got the car on a hoist, I suppose.

I'd rather keep the endlinks as the weakest point as it's the easiest and cheapest to replace. Not like having to re-weld your swaybar D-shackle mount... fun fun :P

Re: Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:45 pm
by teK--
^^ I installed the AVO heavy duty mounts, so for me once again the endlinks are the weakest points :P

Image

Re: Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:32 pm
by GTB Liberty
tangcla wrote:
I'd rather keep the endlinks as the weakest point as it's the easiest and cheapest to replace. Not like having to re-weld your swaybar D-shackle mount... fun fun :P


+1 - that's been my assessment and decision as well. Very happy.

Re: Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:58 pm
by teK--
Sounds good Tony I'll keep the stockies on for the meantime then; I am only running stock front bar and 20mm Whiteline rear bar on hard setting.

BTW is that your engine bay in the avatar?

Re: Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:17 pm
by smythie
he wishes

Re: Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:34 pm
by sundayDriver
I got the whiteline bars. I didn't get the HD mounts so am staying with OEM end links.

Re: Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:17 pm
by SUM12C
I have adjustable cusco at the back and cusco replacements for the front and have had no problems with them. Probably been on the car for 2 years.

Re: Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:43 am
by senator
teK-- wrote:Sounds good Tony I'll keep the stockies on for the meantime then; I am only running stock front bar and 20mm Whiteline rear bar on hard setting.

BTW is that your engine bay in the avatar?




i wish, its the WRC engine bay from 2008 car...... notice the upwards facing turbo.....top left hand corners

Re: Swaybar endlinks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:58 am
by teK--
Yeah I did, which is why it would be an even extreme conversion if it was your engine =). I thought no one was so crazy for a road going car until I saw my mate's GC8 where he flipped the intake manifold around 180deg and also has a slanted radiator/intercooler setup with huge bonnet vents lol (WRC style).