Page 1 of 1

Shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:12 pm
by Fangin_RX
it seems im due for new shocks, Now i know this might be a retarded question but which is a good brand or the brand most of you guys run on your car? I was looking at Monroe as well i can get them cheap but i am open for suggestion (Other than pedders :evil:)

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:27 pm
by 04GTLIB
Ethan.
Bit over Pedder's hey. :mrgreen:
For a higher end shock/strut check out Koni's or Bilstein's.
If you want something a little more reasonably priced, I've heard good things about Boge shocks/struts. They are standard equipment in a lot of European cars.
You could also check out KYB's as well.
Just my opinion mate.

Cheers,
Rusty.

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:29 pm
by teK--
Pedders *are* Monroes, but just slightly customised.

In that price range you are better off with KYB. If you are willing to spend more then KONI (the red ones are a fair bit cheaper than the yellows which are around $1300.00 for a set).

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:44 pm
by smythie
Is it worth talking to a suspension shop about getting the shocks serviced and rebuilt?

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:00 pm
by tangcla
PM "Pat@WSP" on here. He'll sort ya out.

Whether it's a revalve/rebuild (as smythie suggested) or new shocks, he'll give prices for both.

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:28 pm
by Fangin_RX
Ive noticed at work (I installed some KYB's on an Impreza Today) That alot of the better cars get the KYB's, Might look into KONI just $1300 is a little more than what id like to spend atm, KYB might be the go cheers fellas :)

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:22 pm
by teK--
Get the KONI reds if they are available for your car. They have softer damping but are about 2/3 the price of the Yellows. Only thing you'd be missing out on is external adjustment. I had reds on my old car they lasted over 100,000KMs.

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:36 pm
by smythie
I still suggest rebuilding the shocks. Bilstein Sydney (Heasemans) quoted me a bit less than $550 a pair for a full rebuild and custom re-tune. I reckon that's shitloads better than KYB's/Koni's.

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:39 pm
by teK--
^^ I don't think he has Bilsteins or anything that can be rebuilt.

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:43 pm
by smythie
It's worth asking in the first place I reckon. There were always suspension shops that were able to rebuild "un-rebuildable" shocks for bikes. I reckon he'd be up for less than I'm going to be when I finally go ahead

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 pm
by Fangin_RX
If i had Bilsteins i would get them fixed lmao, But unfortunately i dont :(. Asked the Boss how much the guy with the WRX we fitted KYB's payed and it was $220+ for 1 :S

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:46 pm
by smythie
No harm in asking if yours can be rebuilt though mate

Re: Shocks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 pm
by Fangin_RX
Might have a chat with them, Just that the ass end of my car is really low and ive noticed going over bumps it sounds like im scrapping out but im not so im thinking my shocks are gone and the stock ones wont do the job, Still ill check out the rebuilding them