Bilstein conversion
OK I am planning stage 2 of my suspension mods (even though I'm still gathering the parts for Stage 1 which is yet to go in
).
After spending a long time reading almost every relevant thread imaginable on many forums, I have a few questions re my non-Bilstein spec 2.5i!
The plan is to fit Eibach Pro springs which are approx 25-30mm drop on both ends, matched with Bilstein B8 Sprint dampers. The B8 are a shortened body design especially suited for fitment of lowered springs (The B6 "Sport" aftermarket model and also the OEM Bilsteins which are fitted to the 3.0R-B are not intended for lowering. The latter are also known as the Bilstein "HD" in the USA).
I have read when fitting the 3.0R-B/HD dampers into cars that are not factory-equipped with Bilsteins, will require B-spec front strut mounts (the plate at the top of the strut assembly with the studs that are visible in your engine bay).
Q: Will I still need new strut tops if I am fitting the B8 Sprints??? Are there any other parts I may need?
Also has anyone else done the same or similar conversion and can offer any tips?
Other parts that will also be going in as part of Stage 2:
- AVO heavy duty swaybar endlinks on front and rear
- Whiteline roll centre adjuster
Parts that will already have been installed as part of Stage 1:
- Whiteline 20mm adjustable rear swaybar
- AVO heavy duty rear swaybar mount brackets
- Whiteline Anti-lift/Caster adjust kit
- Whiteline front control arm front bushes
As for coilovers again I have read this topic to death and as I am after a long term, durable solution I opted not to fit Coilovers. A quality set to last as long as I want without needing rebuilding (100,000Kms+) either does not exist or is vastly cost prohibitive and would then be overkill for my intended use of the car. (Spirited daily driver with the very occasional track stint).
After spending a long time reading almost every relevant thread imaginable on many forums, I have a few questions re my non-Bilstein spec 2.5i!
The plan is to fit Eibach Pro springs which are approx 25-30mm drop on both ends, matched with Bilstein B8 Sprint dampers. The B8 are a shortened body design especially suited for fitment of lowered springs (The B6 "Sport" aftermarket model and also the OEM Bilsteins which are fitted to the 3.0R-B are not intended for lowering. The latter are also known as the Bilstein "HD" in the USA).
I have read when fitting the 3.0R-B/HD dampers into cars that are not factory-equipped with Bilsteins, will require B-spec front strut mounts (the plate at the top of the strut assembly with the studs that are visible in your engine bay).
Q: Will I still need new strut tops if I am fitting the B8 Sprints??? Are there any other parts I may need?
Also has anyone else done the same or similar conversion and can offer any tips?
Other parts that will also be going in as part of Stage 2:
- AVO heavy duty swaybar endlinks on front and rear
- Whiteline roll centre adjuster
Parts that will already have been installed as part of Stage 1:
- Whiteline 20mm adjustable rear swaybar
- AVO heavy duty rear swaybar mount brackets
- Whiteline Anti-lift/Caster adjust kit
- Whiteline front control arm front bushes
As for coilovers again I have read this topic to death and as I am after a long term, durable solution I opted not to fit Coilovers. A quality set to last as long as I want without needing rebuilding (100,000Kms+) either does not exist or is vastly cost prohibitive and would then be overkill for my intended use of the car. (Spirited daily driver with the very occasional track stint).