Page 1 of 1

Another RE050A bites the dust :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:39 pm
by Ric
I had to change a rear wheel on Saturday, after noticing I had a flat soon after leaving home.
There was an obvious nail sticking out of it so thought it would be a simple repair...

Img_5008a.jpg
Img_5008a.jpg (94.25 KiB) Viewed 2359 times


but once the tyre was taken off, it was obvious I'd been driving on it for a while with little air pressure, and damaged the sidewall :(

Img_5015a.jpg
Img_5015a.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 2359 times


Img_5016a.jpg
Img_5016a.jpg (178.96 KiB) Viewed 2359 times


So, $445 later, my spare is a brand new tyre. The old spare had a similar amount of wear as the other three, so I'm leaving it on.

Re: Another RE050A bites the dust :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:59 pm
by teK--
Ah shame Richard those tyres are so grossly overpriced! Inflated I must say. I once had a nail puncture that went unnoticed until the car went in for a service; the nail was in the tyre then somehow bent and came back out of the tyre again in a U-shape (so it looked like a double puncture). That one was not repairable as it was right on the shoulder.

Re: Another RE050A bites the dust :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:24 pm
by swingn
I think the question we all want to know is how many km's did you get this time Ric?

From memory you got something like 55,000kms to the original set of RE050A's... Which I have to say is a rather good effort :D

Re: Another RE050A bites the dust :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:51 pm
by smythie
i got a quote today for one: $490 :shock:

Re: Another RE050A bites the dust :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:01 pm
by Sentinel
There's a bit of damage to that side wall Ric, how many kays you reckon you drove with it deflated?

Re: Another RE050A bites the dust :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:20 pm
by Ric
teK-- wrote:Ah shame Richard those tyres are so grossly overpriced! Inflated I must say. I once had a nail puncture that went unnoticed until the car went in for a service; the nail was in the tyre then somehow bent and came back out of the tyre again in a U-shape (so it looked like a double puncture). That one was not repairable as it was right on the shoulder.

This is one of the tyres I replaced last August, so I've done nearly 20,000km since. More than half the tread was still left :(

Sentinel wrote:There's a bit of damage to that side wall Ric, how many kays you reckon you drove with it deflated?

No idea. I hadn't noticed anything unusual driving home on Friday night. We went out in my wife's car on Saturday morning, then Saturday afternoon, I was heading onto the ring road to go get my MG for Sunday, and noticed it as soon as I got onto the ring road and accelerated to 100. I could hear a noise, and felt the back wandering a bit.
I would only have done 3-4 km after leaving home.

Re: Another RE050A bites the dust :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:23 pm
by steve_m
I've had re050 in the past and got just over 55000 on them..
the last tyres I had were Good Year Eagle f1s.. sitting on the standard 04 premium rim, (17Xwhatever it is).. put them on at 51000kms... and when i traded it in a few months ago, they were getting close to being needed to get changed and the car had over 150000ks on it... brilliant tyres! it was all highway driving though which probabbly had something to do with it!! :lol:

Re: Another RE050A bites the dust :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:20 pm
by Fangin_RX
Dont worry Ric, We had a commodore come in a few months ago bought 4 Sport Maxx (pricey tyres) and the next day he came back with a broken rim and exploded tyre, So you got off easy. People always make jokes about us tyre fitters saying we plant the nails around so we get the cash ;)

Re: Another RE050A bites the dust :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:13 am
by smythie
tyre shops all over the place had a great time after the hail storms years ago. Plenty of trucks dropping nails and screws out of rubbish roof material