Page 1 of 3

Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:19 pm
by Dave E
Hi All,

I'm up for new RE050s after 52000 KMs.
My servicing dealer quoted $550 each during my major service.
Any advice on whats out there comparable to the RE050 if I do not go with these again?
I'm presently chasing best price for RE050s.

Cheers :)

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:26 pm
by teK--
Bridgestone RE-001 Adrenalins are comparable and much more affordable they were $215.00 each for the 215/45/R17 last time I checked. I'm going to change to them when my RE050A wear out.

If you want more grip then I have been really happy with the Michelin Pilot Precedas but they are around $300.00 each.

Both above tyres should give around 25-30KKms with spirited driving. Are you looking for tyres that will give you 52KKms again? You must drive pretty easy as the RE050 aren't exactly a hard plastic tyre :P

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:30 pm
by adz2.0r
hks180 and wrxhoon have brand new rim and tyre for sale at $250 I think. you should check out the for sale section and maybe you can replace a guttered rim while getting new tyres.

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:14 pm
by Q
If you are getting 52000klms from a RE050A then do you really need a tyre that is in this sort of performance and price range? The RE001 is a much cheaper tyre and provides about 80% of the performance of the 050 at a much more reasonable price and will probably last a bit longer too. Falken FK452 is another good tyre for less money.

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:22 pm
by Loose1
Bob jane at browns plains quoted me $460 for the 050,s yesterday
And correct me if im wrong but isnt the 050,s an 18 inch ...where the 040,s an 17inch

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:35 pm
by EJ25
i got quoted $330 each for the RE050A's and $175 each for the RE001's. This is for the 215/45/R17. I shopped around a fair bit and prices varied alot ($100+)

In the end i decided that i could go through two sets of RE001's for a simialar price to one set of RE050's. And yes, i did cheap out but atleast i didnt go for some cheap nasty tyre

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:36 pm
by Ric
Loose1 wrote:...
And correct me if im wrong but isnt the 050,s an 18 inch ...where the 040,s an 17inch

ok. You're wrong. :)
RE050 comes in 17/18/19/20"
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/treads/re050a.aspx

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:38 pm
by coyote
Good point Q.

Anyone who can get 50,000km from RE050As will have FK451s until the government starts doing annual eye tests to renew their license.

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:40 pm
by Dave E
Thanks for this feedback.

Yep pretty easy on my tyres.
I'll have a closer look at the 001s.
Not sure if 050s are spec in 18s only.
Re getting the strut knock fixed, mine seemed to happen more when the car was warmed up.

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 pm
by Loose1
can you get001,s in 18 inch??

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:50 pm
by Ric
Loose1 wrote:can you get001,s in 18 inch??

Yes. http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/tre ... nalin.aspx
but only in 225/45/R18 or 225/40/R18, not 215

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:55 pm
by Loose1
Cheers ric :D

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:13 pm
by teK--
Hahaha Coyote that is gold :good:

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:00 pm
by MikeeR
EJ25 wrote:i got quoted $330 each for the RE050A's and $175 each for the RE001's. This is for the 215/45/R17. I shopped around a fair bit and prices varied alot ($100+)

In the end i decided that i could go through two sets of RE001's for a simialar price to one set of RE050's. And yes, i did cheap out but atleast i didnt go for some cheap nasty tyre


Can you share with us where you got the quote for $175 for RE001's? They came out on top in Motor's 2008 tyre test for what it's worth (though there were some very conflicting results).

I'm after some new 18 x 40 x 225's. Tempe quoted $200 for Dunlop Sport Maxx's which is about the best deal I've seen but have not spent alot of time looking as yet. I like the idea of a good wet weather performer and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics apparently perform very well and would be close to my tyre of choice but I'm sure will be expensive.

Lots of good tyre reviews and info here http://www.tirerack.com if you haven't already seen it.

Re: Tyre replacements

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:13 pm
by teK--
One thing to realise is that when you have one model of tyre the performance can change noticeably when you compare different sizes/tyre profiles. Further, when you fit them to different cars the same differences will apply. The most significant difference is if you're comparing a certain tyre of same size but on a FWD compared to an AWD or a small car to a big car for example.

This is why when I find something I like and is a compromise I will seldom change unless I can no longer afford that tyre or if it gets discontinued. It sucks being stuck with a set of tyres that don't meet expectations because you have to trash them before you can justify buying a new set!