Page 1 of 1

Cross Drilled after Track Day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:37 am
by WhiteGTB
Thought I'd post up about my brakes and how they performed after tracking the White GTB.

First track time. Running Brembo calipers, Brembo cross drilled rotors, Goodridge braided lines and OEM fluid and OEM pads..... stock rims and tyres.
Performance was ok, I haven't experienced anything else so I couldn't compare, by about lunch time brakes felt spungy, brake pedal travel increased and I noticed a slight grind. So after lunch decided not to push any harder. Got home and got the rotors machined asap, perfect again :)

Second track time. Upgrades were Dixcel Type Z pads and AP Racing fluid DOT5.1..... track rims and Hankook RS-2.
Woah what a difference, braking capability increased ten fold! better times, more confidence heading into corners, bite was strong, pedal feel nice and tight. What a difference pads and fluid makes.

The main reason for this post is the cross drilled rotors. Pretty and nice looking but certainly not intended for track use is my opinion.. I know I know.. I was told at the very beginning not to get them but it did look nice.

I decided to take out my pads to check em out, the cross drilled rotors wore the Z pads out evenly as in the entire pad however the surface wasn't as smooth as I would have expected. Gave the pads a good rubbing on the concrete to rough them up again and popped them back in (machined the rotors) an braking is like new again :)

Dont' mind the space saver, I just put it on to test if it would clear the gold nuggets :) it does.
Image

Image

Image

Minimum width is 28mm on the rotors... I'm down to 29-30mm... so I think I still got another 1/2 track days before upgrading to a two piece :)

Re: Cross Drilled after Track Day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:46 am
by swingn
Good bit of info Trieu :)

I think I may have to follow suit & get my rotors machined after our track day :D I have a feeling I know someone who can hook me up ;) :P

Re: Cross Drilled after Track Day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:47 am
by WhiteGTB
swingn wrote:Good bit of info Trieu :)

I think I may have to follow suit & get my rotors machined after our track day :D I have a feeling I know someone who can hook me up ;) :P


For sure mate :wink:

Re: Cross Drilled after Track Day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:01 am
by Sentinel
Trieu,

So that's the first time on the track with those rotors - and you're already down to 29mm? Was that due to the Z's or is that normal?

Re: Cross Drilled after Track Day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:09 am
by WhiteGTB
Nah Steve, that's the 2nd time on the track with these rotors. The first time I found my OEM pads screwed my rotors, but it's probably a combination of my driving style also.

Re: Cross Drilled after Track Day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:24 am
by GTSPECB STI
Excellent pics and feedback Trieu. I am curious about what wheels / tyres you use for track days?

Re: Cross Drilled after Track Day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:48 pm
by reaper
Why do you say cross drilled arent for track use? Im just about to buy new rotors.

Thanks

Re: Cross Drilled after Track Day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:15 pm
by adhar
reaper wrote:Why do you say cross drilled arent for track use? Im just about to buy new rotors.

Thanks


They crack more easily. They are good for about 500 degrees, whereas slotted ones are good for about 600 degrees. The reason the holes are good as they are excellent at expelling nitrogen pockets that build up between the pad and the rotor while driving, but they provide less service area for metal to dispel heat.

A bit of a driving tip for those who get out on the track a bit: give the brakes a very short, sharp dab with the left foot (do not lift accelerator) about 50 m before your braking point. This pushes the brake pad up to the rotor and expels the gasses that build up on the pad, so when you do slam your foot on the brake the rotor and pad are ready to grip.

Rotors can get pretty hot!
LG2H2968.jpg
LG2H2968.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 3073 times