Page 1 of 2
Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:54 pm
by steve_m
Hi all,
So I've been in the market for some new tyres and have done some reading and ringing around and decided to purchase a set of the Pirelli Pzero Rossos in 215/45/ZR18. Which is what the my06 gt STi comes with from the factory.
I've spoken to 3 different places, and each one has given me a different price. Nothing out of the ordinary there, but the difference in price is massive.
$550
$453
$325 !!
variance of over $200 per tyre! Has anyone else seen differences like this before? I got the guy who was selling the cheap ones to check the DOT code, 3208, so they aren't old rubber or anything!
Steve
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:02 pm
by teK--
I have not found that much of a variance in tyre prices usually 15-250% tops but it does depend if that tyre shop is a bulk buyer of that brand, in which case they get better prices from the distributor.
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:11 pm
by smythie
I recall the Pirelli's also being sold in "all seasons" guise for the north american markets and those being sold for less here. Adam has a set of Nero's on one of his Libs.
See here for more info.Maybe that could be why you got quoted a lot less from one mob.
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:23 pm
by steve_m
Thats interesting. re the 'all seasons' one... I wouldn't expect them to be getting sold over there though.. would you?
wouldn't expect the price to vary so much between them either!
I wonder what sort of diference in wear it will have ?
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:35 pm
by smythie
quite possibly a big difference in wear, particularly if you drive the thing a lot in hot weather. I'd say that if they are priced lower than the regular version it would be simply for that reduced life factor. Oh and possibly as a means to minimise the cost of a stuff up in ordering
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:43 pm
by steve_m
smythie wrote:quite possibly a big difference in wear, particularly if you drive the thing a lot in hot weather. I'd say that if they are priced lower than the regular version it would be simply for that reduced life factor. Oh and possibly as a means to minimise the cost of a stuff up in ordering
Good points, i'll check it out tomorrow morning. Hopfully it's the harder wearing one!
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:17 pm
by sundayDriver
I just got a set of PZero rossos (225/24 R18) at about $1850 for all 4 balanced. I was given two options, asymetric and directional. I took the asymetric ones.
I checked the tires after and i think they are all 2007 dated. BTW, this is in canberra, so expect it a tiny bit more expensive here.
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:35 pm
by steve_m
sundayDriver wrote:I just got a set of PZero rossos (225/24 R18) at about $1850 for all 4 balanced. I was given two options, asymetric and directional. I took the asymetric ones.
Were they the same price?
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:10 pm
by sundayDriver
steve_m wrote:sundayDriver wrote:I just got a set of PZero rossos (225/24 R18) at about $1850 for all 4 balanced. I was given two options, asymetric and directional. I took the asymetric ones.
Were they the same price?
Sorry, I didn't ask, I wanted the asym so I could rotate the tires if they started wearing unevenly.
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:57 pm
by adam
smythie wrote:I recall the Pirelli's also being sold in "all seasons" guise for the north american markets and those being sold for less here. Adam has a set of Nero's on one of his Libs.
See here for more info.Maybe that could be why you got quoted a lot less from one mob.
i've got neros on both my cars, on the gt it's the north american spec and on the other it's the aus spec.
we've done about 8K with them on the gt and they seem to be wearing quite well. i'll post a pic up later.
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14 pm
by steve_m
adam wrote:i've got neros on both my cars, on the gt it's the north american spec and on the other it's the aus spec.
we've done about 8K with them on the gt and they seem to be wearing quite well. i'll post a pic up later.
thats good news, I'll go with whichever ones they have.
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:10 pm
by steve_m
Looks like they had the north american spec ones. got them on first thing this morning. They feel pretty good...
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:38 pm
by SpecB
steve_m wrote:Looks like they had the north american spec ones. got them on first thing this morning. They feel pretty good...
Where did you get them from Steve? An independant or a chain? I need to get some tyres myself.
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:11 pm
by steve_m
SpecB wrote:Where did you get them from Steve? An independant or a chain? I need to get some tyres myself.
Bridgestone in Hurstville.
Name: BRIDGESTONE TYRE CENTRE - HURSTVILLE
Address: 117 FOREST RD
Suburb: HURSTVILLE
Phone: 02 9579 4671
Re: Tyre Prices

Posted:
Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:23 pm
by GT25
Got some new Yokohama Advans fitted on Saturday - 215/45/18 for $345 per tyre.
They're Yoko's top spec tyre.
Greg