Page 1 of 2

Terrible ride on 2001 Liberty

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:23 am
by toadcat
The ride quality on my 2001 Liberty is terrible, it jolts very harshly on small bumps and its just generally not smooth or comfortable at all. I think the previous owner simply changed the springs of the car to King Springs lows - the springs are yellow (same as Kings) but I don't think he changed anything with the shocks. The result is when I'm going fast the car can bottom out quite easily. The underside of the front bar is scratched to hell from this. The car also 'bounces' a LOT, to the point where it nearly goes airborne if you are going fast.
What would be the best option to fix this? Would coilovers be the next step? Car already has swaybars.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:44 am
by tangcla
Sway bars have no impact on ride comfort - your springs would be the culprit.

Coilovers MAY or may NOT fix your problem, it depends on what sort of coilovers you are getting, and where they originate from and what the target market is - if you are getting Japanese coilovers made for the Japanese market, I daresay your ride would be similar as those coilovers are designed for smooth Japanese roads, not the rough stuff we have here.

Most comfortable solution would be stock springs :)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:52 pm
by toadcat
Haha no i think I didn't word that well.
I don't want comfortable springs/shocks I want something that handles well. I don't give a crap about the comfort levels :P
The springs/shocks on the car at the moment are terrible, the car bottoms out extremely easily and handles poorly

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:10 pm
by jdm rsk
maybe they cut the springs? if you want comfort whiteline springs but they are not very low

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:36 pm
by TorpedoCreative
tangcla wrote:Sway bars have no impact on ride comfort


I found that sways actually improved the ride of my lib... significantly reduced the jarring and harshness of the ride - it was an unexpected but welcome improvement :D

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:50 am
by swingn
First thing that always comes to mind is what springs & what tyres are you running... Seeing as your running Kings, I think you've found your answer :P

Also, if the shocks are OEM, they maybe due for a replacement... Especially if the car has been lowered etc. I know here in Sydney, after about 80,000kms most shocks have had it...

I've personally found that swap bars do make the ride a little firmer, but with the right suspension set up its not what I would call a major issue... Although there is a difference... Especially in the handling :P

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:12 pm
by tangcla
TorpedoCreative wrote:I found that sways actually improved the ride of my lib... significantly reduced the jarring and harshness of the ride - it was an unexpected but welcome improvement :D
I find sway bars (and stock open diff) causes my wheels to spin, and I can get beached when I have one front wheel off the ground :P

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:39 pm
by sheppo9
Get a set of Bilstein's and STi Pink springs or Whiteline Control springs.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
by Kevlar GT
tangcla wrote:... and I can get beached when I have one front wheel off the ground :P


Beached as Bro. Should put a Chup in your car.

:P

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:50 pm
by toadcat
swingn wrote:First thing that always comes to mind is what springs & what tyres are you running... Seeing as your running Kings, I think you've found your answer :P

Also, if the shocks are OEM, they maybe due for a replacement... Especially if the car has been lowered etc. I know here in Sydney, after about 80,000kms most shocks have had it...

I've personally found that swap bars do make the ride a little firmer, but with the right suspension set up its not what I would call a major issue... Although there is a difference... Especially in the handling :P

Cheers, I'll ask my mechanic next time the cars in for a service whether or not he thinks the shocks are rooted. The cars done 171,000k's so they'd be due for a third pair at least right? However I don't want to pay lots of money replacing them and find that it was the springs all along :(
Anyone recommend some basic coilovers + suspension shops in Sydney for under $1500 installed? I just want the car to be lowered yet actually handle properly and not bounce around like the shocks aren't even there haha.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:55 pm
by tangcla
Kevlar GT wrote:Beached as Bro. Should put a Chup in your car.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

beached iz brew!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:53 pm
by toadcat
tangcla wrote:
Kevlar GT wrote:Beached as Bro. Should put a Chup in your car.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

beached iz brew!

awwwww you're heeeeeeeeeeeps beecht

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 pm
by smythie
you guys are aweful.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:42 am
by SX74SI
jdm rsk wrote:maybe they cut the springs? if you want comfort whiteline springs but they are not very low


Nah dont think so, cut springs feel more stiffer as there is less shock travel

they must definantly be kind springs if the car bottoms out easily, kings are the worst you can get
if you dont care about comfy, then get coilovers, if you do, then consider buying a set of stock springs (if you still want the car lower, go to allsprings in moorebank to reset them) and some shocks definantly

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:08 am
by toadcat
SX74SI wrote:
jdm rsk wrote:maybe they cut the springs? if you want comfort whiteline springs but they are not very low


Nah dont think so, cut springs feel more stiffer as there is less shock travel

they must definantly be kind springs if the car bottoms out easily, kings are the worst you can get
if you dont care about comfy, then get coilovers, if you do, then consider buying a set of stock springs (if you still want the car lower, go to allsprings in moorebank to reset them) and some shocks definantly

I don't care about the ride comfort as long as it handles well. At the moment I don't have either haha.
I think I'll go with some coilovers..
http://www.pedders.com.au/products/52
and then get the Whiteline swaybars etc installed as well.
Anyone know if the Pedders are good? I've heard they are alright from Rexnet people..
Also:
http://www.pedders.com.au/products/52/141
Is the WRX suspension mounts etc the same as a Gen 3 2001 Lib?