Page 1 of 1

D2 coilovers

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:54 pm
by dutch7
hey guys,
anyone have any experience they can share about D2 coilovers??
I contacted this seller and they can do a set to suit my lib for the same price as this listing: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0343735500
any comments would be appreciated! :D
cheers,
Jamie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:58 am
by adhar
I haven't heard much about them but i remember seeing a picture of a broken purple coil over looking ALOT like a D2 here: (scroll to the bottom)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BC-Adjustable-Co ... .m20.l1116

They are advertising BC Racing Coilvers, which is another budget coilover that is supposed to be alright actually. I actually heard that these are the same as pedders xtreme as BC make them for pedders (i don't know if thats true or not i had a holden bloke telling me that!)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:31 am
by Subie Boy
call Frank from A&B Motorsports, he can get you K-Sport, D2 or BC Coilovers for a good price. Tell him you're Brian's friend from the forum and he will get you a big discount (he can also ship to where you are). His number is 02 9905 9523

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:34 am
by tangcla
adhar wrote:I haven't heard much about them but i remember seeing a picture of a broken purple coil over looking ALOT like a D2 here:
The background story behind that broken coilover was something along the lines of it being used in pretty extreme situations, where any coilover would break.

Question is, do you intend on using these just on the street, or pushing them a bit further on the track?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:23 pm
by Sentinel
Waahoo C/overs! You've been talking about getting c/overs for a while mate. Good luck! Hopefully the guys on here can answer your queries as I don't know much about the D2 or BC's.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:32 am
by dutch7
adhar wrote:I haven't heard much about them but i remember seeing a picture of a broken purple coil over looking ALOT like a D2 here:

They are advertising BC Racing Coilvers, which is another budget coilover that is supposed to be alright actually. I actually heard that these are the same as pedders xtreme as BC make them for pedders (i don't know if thats true or not i had a holden bloke telling me that!)

Thanks adhar, don't think I'll go with the BC coilovers as talk in the thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=4923 mentions they have noise issues after a while.

Subie Boy wrote:call Frank from A&B Motorsports, he can get you K-Sport, D2 or BC Coilovers for a good price. Tell him you're Brian's friend from the forum and he will get you a big discount (he can also ship to where you are). His number is 02 9905 9523

Thanks mate, I will give him a buzz this week for a quote

tangcla wrote:Question is, do you intend on using these just on the street, or pushing them a bit further on the track?

definitely for street use only, don't think I'll be aloud to track a lease vehicle :D

Sentinel wrote:Waahoo C/overs! You've been talking about getting c/overs for a while mate. Good luck! Hopefully the guys on here can answer your queries as I don't know much about the D2 or BC's.

..came across some extra cash recently, and the king springs are pissing me off, so yeh ready to shop around for a decent inexpensive set now :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:44 am
by tangcla
dutch7 wrote:definitely for street use only, don't think I'll be aloud to track a lease vehicle :D
Then you'ull be fine, the cheaper coilovers aren't going to break. Just make sure you get a nice spring rate.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:09 pm
by matty_et
I'd Recommend the BC's :D

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:40 pm
by CJ1177
Yeah they will do the job & allow you to set the ride height at exactly the height you want but I have 2 concerns
spring rate of 8.7kg :shock: IMO that will be a very hard ride, my Teins are kg & thats a damn firm ride, I wouldn't want it any firmer than mine for a daily driver
& the other thing is long term quality, I don't get it why you would pay nearly $60k on a high quality car then cheap out & buy cheap coil overs. and then run the risk of them getting noisy or failing.
My Teins are near enough to 18 months old with honestly no noise from them, they are very quite. If you can even call it a noise the only sound I get is a squishy sound over rough roads of which you have other road noise that drowns out the squishy sound.

IMHO opinion DON'T be a tight arse & buy a decent reputable JDM or European brand. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:47 pm
by jdm rsk
CJ1177 wrote:Yeah they will do the job & allow you to set the ride height at exactly the height you want but I have 2 concerns
spring rate of 8.7kg :shock: IMO that will be a very hard ride, my Teins are kg & thats a damn firm ride, I wouldn't want it any firmer than mine for a daily driver
& the other thing is long term quality, I don't get it why you would pay nearly $60k on a high quality car then cheap out & buy cheap coil overs. and then run the risk of them getting noisy or failing.
My Teins are near enough to 18 months old with honestly no noise from them, they are very quite. If you can even call it a noise the only sound I get is a squishy sound over rough roads of which you have other road noise that drowns out the squishy sound.

IMHO opinion DON'T be a tight arse & buy a decent reputable JD or European brand. :)
+1 go teins or better

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm
by Sentinel
CJ1177 wrote:Yeah they will do the job & allow you to set the ride height at exactly the height you want but I have 2 concerns
spring rate of 8.7kg :shock: IMO that will be a very hard ride, my Teins are kg & thats a damn firm ride, I wouldn't want it any firmer than mine for a daily driver
& the other thing is long term quality, I don't get it why you would pay nearly $60k on a high quality car then cheap out & buy cheap coil overs. and then run the risk of them getting noisy or failing.
My Teins are near enough to 18 months old with honestly no noise from them, they are very quite. If you can even call it a noise the only sound I get is a squishy sound over rough roads of which you have other road noise that drowns out the squishy sound.

IMHO opinion DON'T be a tight arse & buy a decent reputable JD or European brand. :)


Agree with everything you've said.... except the noise from Teins. Mine 'rattle' occasionally! Off topic, but anyone know who to stop this?? Back on topic.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:12 pm
by tangcla
Sentinel wrote:Agree with everything you've said.... except the noise from Teins. Mine 'rattle' occasionally! Off topic, but anyone know who to stop this?? Back on topic.
I think that's due to the solid pillowball mount.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:26 pm
by CJ1177
Sentinel wrote: Agree with everything you've said.... except the noise from Teins. Mine 'rattle' occasionally! Off topic, but anyone know who to stop this?? Back on topic.


That can be one of 3 common things loose pillow ball mount or to much or not enough Pre-tension on the springs

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:01 pm
by Sentinel
CJ1177 wrote:
Sentinel wrote: Agree with everything you've said.... except the noise from Teins. Mine 'rattle' occasionally! Off topic, but anyone know who to stop this?? Back on topic.


That can be one of 3 common things loose pillow ball mount or to much or not enough Pre-tension on the springs


tangcla wrote:I think that's due to the solid pillowball mount.


Thanks Chaps. Sorry Dutchy!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:03 pm
by dutch7
CJ1177 wrote:Yeah they will do the job & allow you to set the ride height at exactly the height you want but I have 2 concerns
spring rate of 8.7kg :shock: IMO that will be a very hard ride, my Teins are kg & thats a damn firm ride, I wouldn't want it any firmer than mine for a daily driver
& the other thing is long term quality, I don't get it why you would pay nearly $60k on a high quality car then cheap out & buy cheap coil overs. and then run the risk of them getting noisy or failing.
My Teins are near enough to 18 months old with honestly no noise from them, they are very quite. If you can even call it a noise the only sound I get is a squishy sound over rough roads of which you have other road noise that drowns out the squishy sound.

IMHO opinion DON'T be a tight arse & buy a decent reputable JDM or European brand. :)


Thanks CJ1177, I wouldnt want coilovers any harder than the king springs I have on at the moment. ride height and comfort is my main concern at the moment, and I can't comprehend spending over $2k for coilovers at this stage, as I intend to only keep the car until my lease is up in 2~ years time. appreciate your honesty mate.