2008 Spec B Wagon Refresh

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

2008 Spec B Wagon Refresh

Postby youremostwelcome » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:20 pm

Hi al,
I've recently had my Spec B tick over 200k k's. The thing is still running nicely. I've done the following in the last 20k k's: Timing belt, plugs, filters, rad, rotors, pads and front hub assemblies.
I've now got my sights set on a full refresh underneath. I've got a pair of front CVs to go in (getting the noise on tight turns), but otherwise, I'd like advice on a full list of refresh parts worth addressing. It's due for tires soon, so I'd like to get all the bits in before I take it for tires and alignment. I'm happy with standard-spec stuff, but what should I be looking at in terms of bushes, struts, other wear items underneath?
Thanks!
youremostwelcome

Car: 2008 Liberty GT 2.5 6MT

Re: 2008 Spec B Wagon Refresh

Postby BillyCorgi » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:04 pm

youremostwelcome wrote:(getting the noise on tight turns)

High pitched Clackity-Clackity Clack-Clack or slower and distinct BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG through the driveline on slow tight turn when hot?
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:49 am

Suspension Bushing upgrades

If they haven’t been done already, all stock relieved bushes can be replaced with solid poly aftermarket items.

That’s front control arms rear position (aka LCA), rear trailing arms forward position, front (hydraulic) & rear diff bushes, pitch stop and gearbox mounts.

The latter two I’ve upgraded to Group N and its not too noisy in conjunction with stock engine mounts, which I have a spare set of for when the time comes.

I have AVO caster offset LCA bushes (works best with pokey rims, stock might rub inner guards, KCA399 adjustable rear upper outer bushes to correct rear camber from slight lowering, and absolutely essential: AVO HD rear swaybar mounts, yes even for stock swaybars.

And a solid GD STi steering uni joint.

If you’re lowering or raising the car or are replacing bushes, be sure to reset/ re torque all lateral arm bolts at static height eg on ramps or over a pit, otherwise the captive bushes with be under torsional load which can preload the suspension or lead to torn bushes.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby youremostwelcome » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:33 am

BillyCorgi wrote:
youremostwelcome wrote:(getting the noise on tight turns)

High pitched Clackity-Clackity Clack-Clack or slower and distinct BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG through the driveline on slow tight turn when hot?

Haha, the high-pitched variety this time, Peter. I've already had the centre diff go, and replaced with one of your units. All went well, and has performed flawlessly for the last 70k k's, thanks!
youremostwelcome

Postby youremostwelcome » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:44 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Suspension Bushing upgrades

If they haven’t been done already, all stock relieved bushes can be replaced with solid poly aftermarket items.

That’s front control arms rear position (aka LCA), rear trailing arms forward position, front (hydraulic) & rear diff bushes, pitch stop and gearbox mounts.

The latter two I’ve upgraded to Group N and its not too noisy in conjunction with stock engine mounts, which I have a spare set of for when the time comes.

I have AVO caster offset LCA bushes (works best with pokey rims, stock might rub inner guards, KCA399 adjustable rear upper outer bushes to correct rear camber from slight lowering, and absolutely essential: AVO HD rear swaybar mounts, yes even for stock swaybars.

And a solid GD STi steering uni joint.

If you’re lowering or raising the car or are replacing bushes, be sure to reset/ re torque all lateral arm bolts at static height eg on ramps or over a pit, otherwise the captive bushes with be under torsional load which can preload the suspension or lead to torn bushes.

Thanks Ben, great info. Looking to maintain stock ride height, and don't want to go too tight/stiff/firm with things, as my partner will be driving this a fair bit (and she puts up with other cars of mine enough that rattle the fillings out of her teeth). Running stock swaybars.
Do you have any experience with the SuperPro KIT209K? I don't hate the idea of a 'in one fell swoop' kit, and one of these might be the go if it's not going to contribute too much to NVH.

Whilst I've got you, any ideas on sources for a new set of Bilsteins? Found a set on Amazon for around $1,600AUD shipped, which doesn't seem horrible. I know people seem pretty keen on the idea of coilovers, but I've been pretty happy with the standard setup, and am not tracking this car.
youremostwelcome

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:57 pm

There’s so many great strut options between Bilstein, Koni, Cusco and even KYB.
Shockworks cost just a little more and are very tuneable, digressively damped and are rebuildable, perfect for grand touring too.
Otherwise I’d go with Koni’s from Hakon, iirc they also stock Bilstein, bonus!
We have a set of Koni sports in our 2.5i, they’re also digressively damped for that planted feel with great bump recovery.
They do require a set of KYB front strut housings, easily found s/h.

Overall you’ll be pleased with *any* new shocks, just dial in a set that suits your budget and care factor!
I’d avoid generic coilovers tho.

Like tyres (I’m on ps5) suspension perfected will be enjoyed long after any related bill shock.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.