2010 Liberty GT Bilstein OEM shocks replacement?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: 2010 Liberty GT Bilstein OEM shocks replacement?

Postby ilib11 » Tue May 02, 2023 8:35 pm

OK, here are the results - rebuild completed.
It took longer than expected for RS online to supply the bearings (they cancelled back-orders for no stock at supplier for a couple of times) so I finally took item that was in stock - 40 mm bearing
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/plain-bearings/2372265

1.JPG
1.JPG (32.11 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

2.JPG
2.JPG (54.64 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

3.JPG
3.JPG (20.84 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

The diameters (both internal and external) were slightly bigger then the diameters of Bilstein parts so I had to cut a bit of bearing to ensure a snug fit into the strut tube and at the same time a snug fit around the strut itself. After careful working with a metal saw blade and a dremel I found a perfect fit. (Left is original bearing, right is cut with a blade/dremel):

5.JPG
5.JPG (114.52 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

6.JPG
6.JPG (70.86 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

I pressed the bearings inside the tubes, filled them with a good amount of grease I had at hands to ensure all the pores in the bearings are filled etc:

9.JPG
9.JPG (23.21 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

assembled back seals and covers and that is it - a good Bilsteins with a snug fit and no lateral play which they have before. The rubber cushions and seals were ok, no need for replacement.

7.JPG
7.JPG (94.82 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

I consider that a successful rebuild and hope that post helps someone. That was an experiment for me and it is now completed.

Now I have a set of refurbished front struts for Liberty Gen V (20310AJ063 and 20310AJ073) and some used extra parts - front mounts, back struts and back mounts. As I mentioned earlier, I have Cusco struts now so I do not need Bilsteins anymore. If someone needs them and willing to try them as-is, or wants any info etc - please PM me. I am happy to sell these items - anything from the pic below. Pickup in Brisbane or ok to post.

8.JPG
8.JPG (72.76 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

Hope this thread helps and thanks to those who were on the journey with me.
Regards, ilib11
ilib11

Car: 2010 Liberty GT

Re: 2010 Liberty GT Bilstein OEM shocks replacement?

Postby nvmylh » Wed May 03, 2023 3:12 pm

I have bought new bushes directly from bilstein in sydney multiple times. Would be suprised if you couldn't get them for your struts?

Have rebuilt 2 sets of front struts and simply knocked the new top bush straight down into the strut, pushing the old one further in. Cleaned, packed with grease, new top lip seal and off you go. Haven't had any issues in a few years!
nvmylh

Car: '08-H6-Wagon

Previous

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.