BC Coilovers - Go for it or run for the hills?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

BC Coilovers - Go for it or run for the hills?

Postby Adsupnorth » Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 am

Recently got quoted up for some new shoes for my GenV GT and got him to quote up coilovers too. Came back with the gold BC coilovers. Did a little search here to see what I could turn up but nothing terribly persuasive.

Has anyone got them? Recommend? Don’t touch them? Advice?

Anything you could add would be much appreciated.
Adsupnorth

Car: 2010 MY10 Subaru Liberty GT Premium

Re: BC Coilovers - Go for it or run for the hills?

Postby LibertyTragic » Tue May 11, 2021 11:46 pm

I did a lot of research prior to pulling the trigger on a set of MCA streets (now the comfort series). I was aiming for general road handling improvements along with the height adjustment, while critically maintaining ride comfort. The MCAs have been superb and couldn’t be happier.

Not a lot of options out there for the Gen5, especially in the cheaper price bracket, but my general research on the BCs seem to suggest they are on the stiffer end of spring rates, so I avoided them. The MCAs have a better shock design as well, similar to the likes of bilsteins etc.
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Postby mustardtiger » Wed May 19, 2021 2:29 pm

I ran some BC BR golds in my JZX100, needed something in a pinch after my suspension was stolen during transport (along with the gearbox, LSD…etc but that’s another story) Ran them for about 2 years before selling the car and are still in the car today

My take….they are a good budget suspension, more suited to running with stiffer dampers. While they have 30ish levels of adjustment, they did not do that well when set under the half way mark. The car would feel very boaty when pushed hard or being driven on undulating roads

So might depend what your after in terms of ride quality and handling, certainly better options out there such as MCA and Shockworks but they are also a lot more expensive
mustardtiger

Postby Kimmo » Fri May 21, 2021 12:37 pm

Got the BC gold on my gen4, they seem pretty well suited for the track. Not so much for the real world. Replacing em with Shockworks.
Kimmo

Car: 07 GT-B

Postby montyLalor » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:11 am

I inherited BC Racing coil overs from the previous owner.

Yes, they're harsh. And the lower shock settings are a joke. And the default front coil retaining 'deep groove' bearing is a major design flaw, as is the Chinese spherical bearing spec of the pillow-ball.

I've replaced the deep groove bearings with angular contact bearings (from the UK - none in Aus. - yes I looked) and bought Cusco replacement spherical bearings for the pillow-ball camber plate assemblies.

After this they will be fine. This is my first set of coil overs on any car, so have no comparative experience. I do like the direct handling, but am constantly scanning for bumps to steer around. Not having knocking in the front end now that the off-the-shelf hardware is spec'd as it should have been is now a luxury that the original spec could have only dreamt about. Total cost of this upgrade of hardware is ≈$200.
Stuck behind those that maneuver with the eloquence of a fiery wall of disintegrating fuselage...
montyLalor

Car: MY09 BLE 3.0R Spec B 6MT 32Jobp

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.