2007 3.0R-B Front Shocks missing bumps stops

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

2007 3.0R-B Front Shocks missing bumps stops

Postby Someguy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:27 pm

Hello Everyone,

Bought a 2007 Liberty 3.0R-B automatic, 2 weeks ago with 148k km on the clock and have been loving it.
With the 150k km service coming up I put it over my father in laws pit to change engine oil/filter, brake oil, trans oil, diff oil and have a general inspection of underneath. Other than slight oil leak out of front timing cover and left rocket cover most things seem pretty good. The first time my wife drove it she went too fast over a speed bump and there was loud thump as it felt like the front shocks bottomed out, she did it again about 5 minutes later which made me think something was wrong with the front suspension. in the last couple of weeks I have done it here and there due to pot holes or misjudging a dip.
Looking into it further I have discovered than the front shocks, which should have been Bilstein as they are still on the rear, have been replaced in the past with Pedders 129007 shocks, I have also discovered that there isn't any dust covers nor, I believe, bumps stops. Also lower control arms rubbers are gone. Based on the Pedders page it seems these shocks are standard Liberty shocks.
Does anyone have experience with these shocks from Pedders? Do they normally come with bump stops and dust covers? Does anyone know why bump stops wouldn't be installed?
I looked on Ebay for Bilstein replacements and they are quite pricey, what do other owners normally replace them with?
I don't want to modify the front suspension I'm happy to keep it standard. I'll look into getting some bump stops and having them installed.
2007 3.0R-B Front Shocks 2.JPG
2007 3.0R-B Front Shocks 2.JPG (220.44 KiB) Viewed 3323 times

2007 3.0R-B Front Shocks 1.JPG
2007 3.0R-B Front Shocks 1.JPG (113.05 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Someguy

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B

Re: 2007 3.0R-B Front Shocks missing bumps stops

Postby Someguy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:38 pm

The follow up to the above post is I have now installed KYB bump stops and dust covers. Also found that whomever replaced the shocks with the pedders ones had not mounted the front right spring on the upper spring seat properly which has torn the rubber and exposed the steel part to begin rusting (you can see it in the photo). The car now handles bumps better without the jarring bump, I'll book it in for a wheel alignment and it should be good from there. I did consider replacing the shocks with Bilstein's but i couldn't justify the cost, also heard some talk of failures, when the pedders shocks aren't that old just a rubbish install job without bump stops.
Someguy

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.