Page 1 of 2

Time for new front pads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:03 am
by MarkC77
Hi guys, my OEM front pads are finally due for replacement in my next service and since I spent the money on DBA4000 rotors earlier this year I should get some pads to match.

My driving style is pretty tame, I don't do any racing, just occasional 'spirited driving' nothing too crazy but I do like to feel that I have good brakes for safety.

Lots of people here recommend Ferodo DS2000/TS2000/Formula (these are pretty much all the same aren't they?).

A few questions to those that have them...

1) How noisy are they compared to OEM?
2) Do they fit straight on to the 2.5i Liberty?
3) How long do they last? I've done 75,000 with the OEM pads.
4) Will they kill my DBA4000's quickly?
5) Are they a good choice for my driving style as mentioned above?
6) I'm sure I'll have more questions :)

Thanks heaps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:32 am
by tangcla
DS2000s dust a lot.
They also don't fit in the standard shims, so they squeal under light braking pressure. Having said that, they are oversized so technically you have greater braking surface area.

I'm using Hawk Ceramic pads and they dust a lot less, and are silent so far.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:45 am
by overl0ad
i've got a set of TRW Lucas pads on my table that i'm gonan put on this weekend.

will let you know.

the other pads i've used is Project Mu HC+
they dust massively, squeal a little, but i found that on my 2.5i they outbrake the stock system on the GTB. that's actually the 1st thing my GF said to me when she 1st drove the GTB "the brakes on this is sh|t"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:22 am
by MarkC77
tangcla wrote:DS2000s dust a lot.
They also don't fit in the standard shims, so they squeal under light braking pressure. Having said that, they are oversized so technically you have greater braking surface area.

I'm using Hawk Ceramic pads and they dust a lot less, and are silent so far.


Do these fit straight on with no cutting? How do they perform compared to OEM? Expensive?

Please note that I drive an NA Liberty (no turbo), these have different sized rotors to the GT.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:23 am
by MarkC77
overl0ad wrote:i've got a set of TRW Lucas pads on my table that i'm gonan put on this weekend.

will let you know.

the other pads i've used is Project Mu HC+
they dust massively, squeal a little, but i found that on my 2.5i they outbrake the stock system on the GTB. that's actually the 1st thing my GF said to me when she 1st drove the GTB "the brakes on this is sh|t"


I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the Lucas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:17 pm
by tangcla
MarkC77 wrote:Do these fit straight on with no cutting? How do they perform compared to OEM? Expensive?
I got mine for $177 a pair, no cutting involved - direct OEM replacement. I can't tell how they perform compared to OEM, but I can tell you the Ferodo DS2000s have more bite.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:27 am
by gtspec
what are the DBA4000s worth and were is the best place to buy them..

im looking at some brake upgrade options :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:08 am
by MarkC77
MarkC77 wrote:
overl0ad wrote:i've got a set of TRW Lucas pads on my table that i'm gonan put on this weekend.

will let you know.

the other pads i've used is Project Mu HC+
they dust massively, squeal a little, but i found that on my 2.5i they outbrake the stock system on the GTB. that's actually the 1st thing my GF said to me when she 1st drove the GTB "the brakes on this is sh|t"


I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the Lucas.


I can't find any info on the TRW Lucas pads.
Where can i find out what model number I need for my NA 2.5i?
Who sells them?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:57 pm
by MarkC77
gtspec wrote:what are the DBA4000s worth and were is the best place to buy them..

im looking at some brake upgrade options :lol:


From memory they are about $200 each. My mechanic (my uncle) got them for me. I believe he got them from Bursons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:01 pm
by jdm rsk
cutting what are you cutting? prodject mu is what i use
MarkC77 wrote:
tangcla wrote:DS2000s dust a lot.
They also don't fit in the standard shims, so they squeal under light braking pressure. Having said that, they are oversized so technically you have greater braking surface area.

I'm using Hawk Ceramic pads and they dust a lot less, and are silent so far.


Do these fit straight on with no cutting? How do they perform compared to OEM? Expensive?

Please note that I drive an NA Liberty (no turbo), these have different sized rotors to the GT.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:18 pm
by SUM12C
I'll be looking for a set of pads shortly, was thinking about Bendix ultimates and depending how much the dba4000's, I got a price from somewhere (can't remember where) but around $215 for the slotted (got a choice of the slotted or cross drilled)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:32 am
by MarkC77
SUM12C wrote:I'll be looking for a set of pads shortly, was thinking about Bendix ultimates and depending how much the dba4000's, I got a price from somewhere (can't remember where) but around $215 for the slotted (got a choice of the slotted or cross drilled)


That price sounds about right, I got the slotted and I think most people would recommend them over the cross drilled.

I'm going with the Lucas pads, I'll be putting them on in January unless Overl0ad says they are no good. Overl0ad, have you put them on yet!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:38 am
by Kevlar GT
I used Lucas pads in my old GT Foz and they were/are great. The place I got them from here in Canberra 'Molonglo Brake and Clutch' are a Bendix supplier but said they have changed the specs and weren't as good as they used to be and therefore put me onto the Lucas pads. Bendix Ultimates from memory were just dusty dirty pain in the rear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:58 am
by tangcla
Speaking of rotors - I need new front rotors. Anyone know how much DBA5000s are? The two-piece ones. I don't need the hat, just the rotor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:58 am
by swingn
I used Lucas pads in my old Lancer & maybe a got a crap model, but I thought they were pretty ordinary. Performance wise they were actually ok, ever so slightly better then OEM gear, but they left heaps & heaps of dust.

I good option (Even though it pains me to say it) is the MRT pads. I'm currently running a set of the front combined with DBA 4000's & they work a treat. Only real down side is that they dust massive amounts (As the Lucas pads I've had in the past). With the rotors, they really do a good job & have had zero fade, even when fanging through Nasho - Note, in the past I have boiled brake fluid & completely destroyed pads. No squeeling & yeah.

I really can't believe I'm suggesting an MRT product, but they are a pretty good option.