Gen 4 GT B suspension recommendations

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Gen 4 GT B suspension recommendations

Postby Wellsie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:21 pm

Its come time to replace the suspension on my lib. Just looking for recommendations on replacement shocks/ springs etc. Id like to stick with regular shock absorbers rather than coilover type suspension. Bilstein B6's are on the list (been quoted at $1500 for a full set). What else is out there?

Thanks everyone :)
Wellsie

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B

Re: Gen 4 GT B suspension recommendations

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:55 am

Kyb, Pedders might do struts...
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bp+b ... 20&bih=438

Recommended? Kyb with the adjustable dampers or a spankin new set of billies :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby teK-- » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:03 am

Get another set of B6 from. Germany about 1200 shipped
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Wellsie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Cheers, ended up going with the b6's, and threw in some whiteline adjustable sway bars for good measure. Handles a treat now. Just need some decent rubber to go with it :D
Wellsie

Postby rexplus » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Wellsie wrote:Its come time to replace the suspension on my lib. Just looking for recommendations on replacement shocks/ springs etc. Id like to stick with regular shock absorbers rather than coilover type suspension. Bilstein B6's are on the list (been quoted at $1500 for a full set). What else is out there?

Thanks everyone :)

Hi Guys,

Would a complete strut assembly from a Gen 4 NA liberty fit a 2007 GTB Tuned by STi with 18" Enkei's ?

It's just that I find the Billies are a bit too hard for daily driving on South Melbourne roads and want a softer ride.

Are they a direct swap or are the spring perches different shape/height to accommodate the 18" Enkei's vs the 17" of the NA Libs ?
rexplus

Car: Liberty GT tuned by STi

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:51 pm

Direct fit.
bigBADbenny

Postby JB25 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:55 pm

Wellsie wrote:Cheers, ended up going with the b6's, and threw in some whiteline adjustable sway bars for good measure. Handles a treat now. Just need some decent rubber to go with it :D

Know this thread is a couple of months old, but had to ask. Do you find the German spec Bilsteins better than the original Subaru stamped Spec B units? I find the factory setup of these a bit harsh.
For those who don't know, Subaru had Bilstein downgrade their product a bit to make it cheaper, also I don't think Subaru set the valving up as good as it could be (pretty sure they had a hand in this bit, but correct me if I am wrong).

Also where can you get these for $1200? Was going to get mine rebuilt if need be, but if I can get new for about that money it would be a lot less hassle.
JB25

Car: MY07 GT-B

Postby Wellsie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:38 am

JB25 wrote:
Wellsie wrote:Cheers, ended up going with the b6's, and threw in some whiteline adjustable sway bars for good measure. Handles a treat now. Just need some decent rubber to go with it :D

Know this thread is a couple of months old, but had to ask. Do you find the German spec Bilsteins better than the original Subaru stamped Spec B units? I find the factory setup of these a bit harsh.
For those who don't know, Subaru had Bilstein downgrade their product a bit to make it cheaper, also I don't think Subaru set the valving up as good as it could be (pretty sure they had a hand in this bit, but correct me if I am wrong).

Also where can you get these for $1200? Was going to get mine rebuilt if need be, but if I can get new for about that money it would be a lot less hassle.

They do feel pretty firm, not uncomfortable but noticeably firmer than OE. That said, the originals in mine were pretty flogged so probably not really a fair comparison. Feels good to drive though, the new sway bars have made a noticeable difference as well
Wellsie

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:13 am

Having had all those setups - save yourself the trouble and effort and just buy ShockWorks coilovers.

These are even better than $4000 Ohlins, for half the price. They make factory Bilsteins feel like a boat by comparison, while maintaining the same comfort. And if you're running Bilsteins on lowered springs - the SW are more comfortable.

I've spent a lot of money/time rebuilding/re-valving and trying to get the settings/valving/springs right on the Bilsteins - only to end up with less comfort, significantly less grip and a less enjoyable driving experience than SW.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Stifull » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:57 am

+1 for good coilovers.. My 07 GT has TEIN coilovers and I am very happy with them. The beauty of them is they are fully adjustable, not only in firmness/softness but also in ride height.. Coilovers also negate the need for bigger sway bars, end links and all the other expensive whiteline stuff. I also drive a GC8 WRX and it has King low setup with 22mm Whiteline sways F&R , WL end link, WL ALK . The Lib corners just as well and sits flat and is very responsive. It is running 8.5" rims with wide offset and 225 40 18 RE003s . I am sure that it's extra wide track and it's longer wheel base also help its handling.
PS... I have the original GT setup in perfect condition if someone wants to make me an offer. Located in Brisbane...

Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:34 pm

What offset are you, stiful? ^ :mrgreen:
Its not in your intro page :cry:
bigBADbenny

Postby Stifull » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:06 am

Not sure Ben but I will take one off and have a look for you.. I will look for the "intro page" and update it...
PS.. I have a set of the mags like the ones you are looking for. I had them painted STi Gold and put them on my GC8 when I did the upgrade to 4 pot brakes..They should be easy to find. They were stock on NT Imprezas around 2007 .. I thought they were the closest subaru wheel to match the gold 16" mags that my CSE2 rex had stock.. If you look here...https://www.facebook.com/groups/5613478 ... et&fref=nf there is often wheels for sale down your way...

Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Indeed I do lurk that page ;)
Thanks for jogging my memory, kudos, they look great gold; one of the nicest stock rims imho :good:
bigBADbenny

Postby Stifull » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks.. Yes i agree.. I put a set on my daughters 08 Impreza as well . Her car is Grey similar to my GT and I left the wheels stock silver color. They look good on there as well.. I pulley a wheel off. They are 18"x 8.5" and offset is Positive 44mm. The tyres are RE003 225/40/18 .. They only rub on the plastic over bumps when the TEIN coilovers are cold but after 3-4 minutes of driving they dont rub at all. The tyres have that ballooned out look, can't recall the proper terminology but I like that look. You just need to be careful of gutters as there is no wheel protection from the tyres.
I would highly recommend TEIN suspension.. It's all you need to do.. Leave the sways and links etc stock as the TEINs take care of it all.. The coil over reps make a big fuss about the fact that you don't need to do anything else..and it's true..Although if you are used to soft ride maybe they are not for you.. I haven't had a car with a soft ride since my Valiant station wagon 45 years ago... :lol:

Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:55 pm

Maybe you scored aus specced Tein’s from the local disty?
bigBADbenny

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.