Tyres all four at once?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Tyres all four at once?

Postby Condorman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:05 am

Hi all, new here. :D

I am looking at updating my 09 Liberty with a 14 3.6 Liberty. The 14 has two different set of tyres on the front and back axle. When I pointed this out to the salesman he gave me a generic kind of answer..."same: size, ratio, diameter....so not an issue as same tyres either side of each axle".

Having a look at the manual on my 09 Liberty it states: "All four tires must be the same in terms of manufacturer, brand (tread pattern), construction, and size" It also states "For safe vehicle operation, SUBARU recommends replacing all four tires at the same time". It adds a bit more in the warning.

Anyway, some research on the net and I am a bit confused, seems to be different opinions. I would tend to favor the manual, but was wondering what the consensus was here.

If this has been covered before, can someone please link the thread - I have looked.

Thanks.
Condorman

Re: Tyres all four at once?

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Yes, generally all four.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby fedaykin » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:45 am

If they're identical sizes then it should be fine. If they're cheapo tyres, rip all four out and replace them with something good.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby subyroo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:58 am

fedaykin wrote:If they're identical sizes then it should be fine. If they're cheapo tyres, rip all four out and replace them with something good.

Having a look at the manual on my 09 Liberty it states: "All four tires must be the same in terms of manufacturer, brand (tread pattern), construction, and size" It also states "For safe vehicle operation, SUBARU recommends replacing all four tires at the same time". It adds a bit more in the warning.

Identical sizes or not, tyres of different brands and tread patterns will wear differently, which nullifies Subaru's statement.
Sounds like the car yard has done a swap for one of their friends - family member etc, or maybe the guy who traded it did a similar thing with a mate before he sold it.
I'd ask for 4 reasonable branded tyres i.e. Michelin - Bridgestone etc. (no cheap crap) and if you want better quality, offer to pay the difference. You can only get one of two answers, well maybe a third. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Postby Tonic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 pm

I always make sure to rotate my tyres 3 or 4 times a life to have them all wear evenly. Then I replace them all. At over 50,000km a year that is annually. I have noticed prices at least have dropped over the years....
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby Tonic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 pm

I always make sure to rotate my tyres to have them all wear evenly. Then I replace them all. At over 50,000km a year that is annually. I have noticed prices at least have dropped over the years....
Tonic

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:26 am

That’s awesome, are you running non-directional for easy rotations?
If so, what tyre?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Tonic » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:42 pm

Bridgestone re50a are the recommended and seem a pretty good tyre all round ....
But if you search the frums there are a few brands that pop up regularly...
I try and find the 4 of 3 specials and I the 215r45 size all are decent enough for daily use... some are noisy though
Tonic

Postby Tonic » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:43 pm

I usually go for directional...
Tonic

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.