Time to redo suspension and need advice on options.

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Time to redo suspension and need advice on options.

Postby 5ittingduck » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:50 pm

2006 (my07) Spec - B auto wagon with 180,000km. It's time to do the suspension.
The shocks are worn, fronts are knocking and less effective, rears seem OK, but I should probably go as a set after this many km.
A set of Bilstein B6 new looks to be about $1500 delivered to Tassie. Now would also seem to be a good time to replace all the suspension bushings with Urethane, preferably bought as a full kit so I can get all the bits together.
So, asking for recommendations for suppliers, possible bargain prices, or superior alternatives which I may not have considered which are worth looking at.
My aim is to get the suspension better than average for about $2000 in parts if possible. Driving is all street, mainly twisting country roads (in Tasmania, woe is me....) and mainly winter. Ride height should be stock, there are gravel roads in my travels.
Obviously I am open to tweaks I should consider while everything is going to be apart, and any important wear items I should replace.
5ittingduck

Car: 2007 Liberty 3.0R - B Wagon

Re: Time to redo suspension and need advice on options.

Postby crazyricochet » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:04 pm

So for your budget of circa $2k I'd be turfing the Bilstein shocks and getting MCA Blue coilovers for about $1600 new.

Then browse the Whiteline parts catalog for a BP Liberty for anything else you can afford to replace and visually inspect all your bushes to see what really does need replacing.

Either ring up a few places give them part numbers for quotes or use google to buy it all online.

https://mcasuspension.com/suspension

http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue4.p ... 3-8%2F2009

In general, these are a few good ones to start with. MRT seem to have a sale on their Ebay store for Whiteline gear at the moment. Ebay also have a 5% discount going on top of that if you use the code C5OZ on checkout.

KCA334 Front Control arm - lower inner rear bushing
W0506 Front Control arm - lower inner front bushing
KCA313 Front Roll centre/bump steer - correction kit
W0406-20G Front Sway bar - mount bushing
W0406-20G Rear Sway bar - mount bushing

Go crazy!
crazyricochet

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30231

Postby 5ittingduck » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:33 pm

MCA blues and a nolathane bushing kit on the way.
Thanks for the help, will post a review on the changes when the fitting is finished.
5ittingduck

Postby teK-- » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:44 pm

That sounds bloody expensive. A set of B8 will set you back around 900-1000 shipped direct from Germany. The B6 are slightly cheaper.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby 5ittingduck » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:16 pm

So the MCA blues and the superpro bushing kit are all in.
Impressions. On gravel, noticeably noisier, a lot of grumble and a bit more interior rattling.
On tarmac, very nice improvement. firm but not harsh, the lack of dive during braking and the resistance to body roll are easy to feel. Noisier on coarse chip, a bit quieter than stock on smooth tarmac.
A little longtitudinal pitch is detectable over short frequency humps but it is quickly damped. My preference is for softer springs and firmer damping, and the coilovers are in the correct envelope for me, I could probably go 1kg lighter on the springs front and rear.
Steering feel is greatly enhanced, perhaps my favourite feature. Good initial bite, excellent linearity and no tendency to load up. This is a lovely refined feel, big fan.
Steering feel and control under heavy and crash braking is superior.
Lateral weight transfer during slalom is well controlled and inspires confidence.
Large hits are absorbed well, I have yet to use full travel and have had no "crashing" on the stops.
Overall, I was surprised at the extent of the improvement over the Bilsteins. The only downsides are NVH related, as would be expected. This is fine on smoother roads, but a little annoying on rough surfaces... the price you pay.
Best bits, improved steering response and feel, firm, unfussed damping with no feeling of running out of suspension travel.
Worst bits, cost a fair bit, rough road harshness and increased nvh.
If anybody wants to buy the old parts, message me on sittingduckster "at" gmail.com, I'm in Tasmania.
5ittingduck

Postby fedaykin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 am

Good feedback, thanks for that.
What tyres are you running?
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby 5ittingduck » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Tyres are Falken 912, which I rate as 'OK' for a cheapish tyre.
I didn't like the stiffer sidewalls and high price of the original Bridgestones.
They are 2/3 worn and will be replaced with something more appropriate soon.
They actually performed quite well this afternoon in the hills, though I was a little cautious on some damp sections.
Again I was impressed with the car's composure during swift direction changes. Stringing left/right corners together at speed was great fun.
5ittingduck

Postby fedaykin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:25 am

Those Ziex are a death trap. First hand experience.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby Kanter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:57 pm

teK-- wrote:That sounds bloody expensive. A set of B8 will set you back around 900-1000 shipped direct from Germany. The B6 are slightly cheaper.

Far out, I checked a French website renown for being good on Bilstein parts: http://www.pourchier.com/pieces-auto-sp ... ,3.0_9.03-

EUR 350.- for a pair of B6s or B8s at the front, EUR 250.- for the pair at the back. Are the same struts sold by Subaru travelling first class to get here?
Kanter

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.