Rear Drivers side wheel movement ?!?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Rear Drivers side wheel movement ?!?

Postby Kurt117 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:24 am

Hey guys and gals im having and issue with my 92 Liberty GX AWD my rear drivers side wheel literally moves back and forth and clunks when going over bumps when i jack the car up it no longer wobbles have done a lot of googling and cant really find anything that is 100% same symptoms my car is having so thought it would be better to ask the wheel does not get got does not make bearing noise or vibrate it just physically moves and can be pretty scary on the highway especially with shitty Adelaide roads the car will literally try to change lanes on its own so my question is is this a wheel bearing or a bigger issue ? :/
Kurt117

Car: 1992 Liberty GX

Re: Rear Drivers side wheel movement ?!?

Postby Jake-G » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:04 am

Not a wheel bearing, more likely a rubber mount clapped out or something loose or missing. Get it checked out by a mechanic as soon as possible, don't mess around with that shit.
2005 Liberty 3.0R-B - Check out my Member Profile: http://goo.gl/f66CrC
Jake-G

Car: 2005 3.0R-B 6MT Obsidian Black Pearl

Postby Kurt117 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Not a wheel bearing, more likely a rubber mount clapped out or something loose or missing. Get it checked out by a mechanic as soon as possible, don't mess around with that shit.

Would rather not spend $2000 for a mechanic to fuck me around when it's essentially a $500 car i have jacked it up and checked out all the rubbers and bushings and everything appears fine the only thing that's rooted is a the swaybar link end
the wheel will only rattle/clunk when the car is on the ground and the strut seems to move with it have checked the strut top seems fine :/ have climbed under the car and got someone else to kick the wheel so that it moves and i cant see anything moving
Kurt117

Car: 1992 Liberty GX

Postby Manaz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:15 pm

Kurt117 wrote:Would rather not spend $2000 for a mechanic to fuck me around when it's essentially a $500 car i have jacked it up and checked out all the rubbers and bushings and everything appears fine the only thing that's rooted is a the swaybar link end
the wheel will only rattle/clunk when the car is on the ground and the strut seems to move with it have checked the strut top seems fine :/ have climbed under the car and got someone else to kick the wheel so that it moves and i cant see anything moving

You're not a mechanic. You don't need to spend $2k getting a mechanic who actually knows suspension to give it a once-over and give you a professional opinion that's actually worth something.

If they find a fault, you can then price the fix, and decide if the price is justified by the potential danger to yourself and other road users.

You have a problem that you already described as "the car will literally try to change lanes on its own". I'm sure nobody else will give a fuck about the value of the car when you have to justify not fixing something that caused a crash by saying "but I looked at it, and to my untrained eye, it was fine. The fix the mechanic suggested wasn't worth the money on a $500 beater that just ran a child down when the suspension failed and I lost control of the vehicle".
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.