Legality of Coilovers (In Victoria)

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Legality of Coilovers (In Victoria)

Postby Turbo Lag » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:25 am

I keep hearing about how coilovers are illegal as they are adjustable, and if they were fixed, it would not be an issue. Is there any actual truth to this? Additionally, would there be insurance issues? Looking up the VSI on VicRoads, it does not seem to explicitely state details. I've seen on this forum alone that some seem to be legal (MCA) whereas others contradict this. Of course, this is assuming the coils are adjusted to match factory specs (eg. same ride height, not lowered to 1mm off the ground). I am not after going any lower than stock and simply want a new replacement with comfortable damping.

Why am I asking this? I do a lot of driving in the hills and come across authorities up there pretty often. I want to keep my car completely legal (as it currently is). Additionally, my 2.5i has very aged suspension and the shocks (rear especially) have completely failed to a point where it's basically riding on the springs. I've been tossing up the possibility of finding used Billies and revalving or restoring them but the prices seem to be absurd compared to simply buying entry-level coilovers (ie. MCA Blues).
'04 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Safety Pack Sedan 5MT & '08 Subaru Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI Wagon 6MT & '00 Toyota Altezza RS200-Z 6MT & '16 Honda CB500F
Turbo Lag

Car: 04 2.5i & 08 TBSTI & Altezza
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36287

Re: Legality of Coilovers (In Victoria)

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:45 am

Probably not strictly legal but ask your local roadworthy station.
Generally if your car is at a legal height you shouldn't attract much attention from the authorities anyway.
And Libs don't take well to being below legal height due to the limited suspension travel.
Certainly well setup coilovers eg Shockworks or MCA are a great improvement to safety and handling so if you're super paranoid, keep a spare set of struts on hand for defect busting and or look into sleeves for the coilovers to make them legal, once your ride height is sorted.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Turbo Lag » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:20 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Probably not strictly legal but ask your local roadworthy station.
Generally if your car is at a legal height you shouldn't attract much attention from the authorities anyway.
And Libs don't take well to being below legal height due to the limited suspension travel.
Certainly well setup coilovers eg Shockworks or MCA are a great improvement to safety and handling so if you're super paranoid, keep a spare set of struts on hand for defect busting and or look into sleeves for the coilovers to make them legal, once your ride height is sorted.

Is there any backing for this not strictly legal thing? It's just tossed around a lot and nobody can seem to give backing either way. Would be nice to settle it once and for all. :)

I wouldn't expect much attention under normal circumstances but considering the amount of authority up in the hills on a usual day I'm surprised they haven't checked mine over yet. Just trying to minimise risk where possible.

I would definitely keep all my stock parts as I'm currently doing right now as I always want to have that option to revert! So already doing so haha. And yeah, have looked into MCA/Shockworks etc but the cost is still a bit off putting when it's nearly half the car value.
'04 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Safety Pack Sedan 5MT & '08 Subaru Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI Wagon 6MT & '00 Toyota Altezza RS200-Z 6MT & '16 Honda CB500F
Turbo Lag

Postby blacktop™ » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:23 pm

All relevant information should be available on the vicroads website.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby Turbo Lag » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:38 pm

blacktop™ wrote:All relevant information should be available on the vicroads website.

The VSI as I originally checked is not very descriptive as to exactly if adjustable coils specifically are or are not allowed. Relevant sections attached. Unless I'm interpreting these wrong, it doesn't specifically say they ARE allowed as they are not included in the approved list, but does not also explicitely state that they are NOT allowed. Both shock absorber and spring can be changed, but it does not say anything about adjustables specifically.

Turbo Lag

Postby BillyCorgi » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:29 pm

Further to above.....

So, as I read, it is not an issue of adjustable nor fixed?
It is whether the replacement coilovers are deemed to "have been manufactured as replacement units for the particular vehicle model and have compatible mountings and dimensions"

However, any change greater that 50mm requires certification

4.4 SHOCK ABSORBERS
Replacement shock absorbers (including struts and strut inserts) may be used provided that they have been manufactured as replacement units for the particular vehicle model and have compatible mountings and dimensions.

4.11 LOWERING OR RAISING VEHICLES
None of the codes in VSB 14 allow for the raising of any vehicle where the wheel track has also been reduced. These vehicles are subject to individual approval on a case-by-case basis.
Raising the height of the vehicle may be performed without certification providing the overall increase in vehicle height is not more than 50mm. This may be achieved as a single modification such as the installation of a 50mm lift kit, or by a combination of smaller lifts as described below:
 the fitting of body blocks or lift kits (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting in a change of vehicle height are performed);
 suspension modification, (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting in a change of vehicle height are performed);
 changes to tyre size (maximum change in tyre size diameter of 50mm); or
 a combination of the above that results in a change of vehicle height not exceeding 50mm.
When lowering a vehicle, it must continue to comply with the minimum ground clearances and running clearances specified in ADR 43/... and in the AVSR.
Where changes in vehicle height occur as a result of modifications, the requirements detailed under Modified Components (refer to Code LS3) that are applicable to individual steering and suspension components continue to apply. Important items such as spline engagement, operating angles of drive shaft joints and in the case of CV joints, the range of axial movement, must remain within design limits for the full range of suspension travel. Also other components such as gear levers, brake hoses etc. may need to be extended depending on the nature of the lift.
Steering linkages must continue to operate efficiently and sufficient spline contact surface must be retained for the full range of suspension travel to ensure the safe operation of the vehicle. Otherwise an appropriate steering shaft extension must be used.
Following the completion of modifications the vehicle attitude must remain as per original specifications – i.e. the original relationship between the front and rear suspension heights must not be changed and therefore the front and rear suspensions must be both raised by the same amount.
Vehicles whose ride height is raised by more than 50mm must meet the requirements specified in Codes LS7 and LS8 and undergo a lane-change manoeuvre test in accordance with ISO 3888-1 Passenger Cars – Test Track for a Severe Lane-Change Manoeuvre – Part 1: Double Lane-Change to ensure its stability has not been compromised. The test procedures and requirements for the lane change test are detailed in Section LT Test Procedures Code LT4.
When lowering a vehicle, the ride height of an unladen vehicle must not be changed by more than one third of the working travel of the suspension from its original height to a rigid bump or rebound position specified by the manufacturer. The suspension bump and rebound positions are measured with any deformable bump or rebound stops removed. The original relationship between the front and rear suspension heights must not be changed and therefore the front and rear suspensions must be both raised or both lowered by the same amount.
When raising a vehicle at least two thirds of the original rebound travel must be maintained. The rebound must be limited by the same method as originally employed by the manufacturer. For example limit straps or shock absorber full extension.
If coil springs are lowered, or replacement lower coil springs are used, they must have the same end shape as the original springs. They must retain some pre-tension and not come loose when the suspension is in its lowest position (full rebound). They must have clearance between coils at full bump.
Lowering blocks used with leaf spring suspensions must be steel, aluminium or metal of equivalent strength and must be positively located to the axle spigot hole and spring centre-bolt.
Extended or adjustable shackle plates must not be used to raise vehicles on leaf spring suspensions.
Rubber or other resilient bump stops must be provided where the suspension and/or axle are likely to bottom-out on the body or chassis structure.
Where the vehicle manufacturer has fitted a load-sensing valve to the braking system as standard equipment, the brake system bias must be checked in both laden and unladen conditions. This check must confirm that the manufacturer’s specifications are maintained. The vehicle’s braking system may require re-certification to the ADR applicable to the category of vehicle at its date of manufacture.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.