Continental sportcontact5

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Continental sportcontact5

Postby rolltosave » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:18 pm

I just had some Continental contisportcontact 5 tyres (225/40 r18) fitted on my stock spec b rims.

As there doesn't seem to be a great deal of info on the forum about these tyres I will try to keep updating this as I find out more about them.

I have shockworks coilovers fitted to my wagon.

First impression of the tyres is a massively improved ride over the falken azenis(rears) and kumho ecstasy (fronts) that came with the car when I bought it.

I was forced to replace the tyres after I had some pretty scary understeer in the recent rain we had here in Melbourne.

Fire away if you have any questions.
MY07 3RB- Shockworks coilovers, AVO HD rear sway mounts, KiDo Tune, ContiSport Contact 5 tyres.
rolltosave

Car: MY07 3.0RB Wagon - Grey

Re: Continental sportcontact5

Postby shav » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:52 pm

rolltosave wrote:I just had some Continental contisportcontact 5 tyres (225/40 r18) fitted on my stock spec b rims.

As there doesn't seem to be a great deal of info on the forum about these tyres I will try to keep updating this as I find out more about them.

I have shockworks coilovers fitted to my wagon.

First impression of the tyres is a massively improved ride over the falken azenis(rears) and kumho ecstasy (fronts) that came with the car when I bought it.

I was forced to replace the tyres after I had some pretty scary understeer in the recent rain we had here in Melbourne.

Fire away if you have any questions.

I have these tyres (MC5's) and think they are the best tyre Ive owned. Love them and will get them again.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby rolltosave » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Excellent to hear. I'm looking forward to testing them in the wet after the huge under steer I was getting with the kumhos.
MY07 3RB- Shockworks coilovers, AVO HD rear sway mounts, KiDo Tune, ContiSport Contact 5 tyres.
rolltosave

Postby BillyCorgi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:00 pm

rolltosave wrote:Excellent to hear. I'm looking forward to testing them in the wet after the huge under steer I was getting with the kumhos.

I am also looking forward to hearing more?
Was the understeer a sudden change in characteristic response, or had the Kumhos always been poor in wet weather?
You said you had kumho ecstasy. Should Not that be Kumho Ecsta? What series/ They would be KU followed by two numbers, example KU27, etc?
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby rolltosave » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:21 pm

They were Ecsta's my phone autocorrected.
Unfortunately i dont know what series they were... they came on the car when i bought it. I always felt they were pretty rubbish but I went on a 7ish hour drive along the Great Ocean rd and through Gellibrand park a couple of weeks ago and i think i cooked them. They were terrible after that. Genuinely scary in the wet.

The falkens on the rear were heaps stiffer and crashier than the contis too. Much nicer over bumps now.

I am currently investigating whether i need to replace front wheel bearings too. There has been a bit of noise from the front left and the car is pulling to the left a bit even after the alignment done when fitting the contis. I did put the car up on a jack and feel for 'wobble' in the hub but it felt rock solid. Is there any other things i can check for?

I hope to fit the shift kit and linkage bushes you sent me tomorrow as well Peter.
rolltosave

Postby shav » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:12 am

As far as wet weather is concerned. I have never felt the car lose grip or slide dangerously before. Then again, I drive to the conditions so never really heavily pushed the car to test the limit. But from what I have experienced, the car has been solid and steady on the road in the wet.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby ndlibgt » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:22 pm

Of the tryes ive had on Lib in its current setup i found them to be far better than the Michelin PS3's I have currently and a close 2nd to Bridgestone RE050's.
ndlibgt

Car: 04 GT

Postby fedaykin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:39 am

ndlibgt wrote:Of the tryes ive had on Lib in its current setup i found them to be far better than the Michelin PS3's I have currently and a close 2nd to Bridgestone RE050's.

Far better how?
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby rolltosave » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:33 am

Loving the tyres so far. I went for a quick blast down a little twisty road down near the airport the other day. I finally feel like I'm getting the most out of my shockworks c/o's.
I can't decide whether the fuel consumption has increased slightly or whether I'm just spanking it a bit more often.
rolltosave

Postby ndlibgt » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:28 am

fedaykin wrote:
ndlibgt wrote:Of the tryes ive had on Lib in its current setup i found them to be far better than the Michelin PS3's I have currently and a close 2nd to Bridgestone RE050's.

Far better how?

They hang in much longer before they break traction both in dry and wet.
ndlibgt

Car: 04 GT

Postby fedaykin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:05 pm

ndlibgt wrote:
fedaykin wrote:

Far better how?

They hang in much longer before they break traction both in dry and wet.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.
How are they noise wise compared to the PS3?
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.