Shocks Vs. Coilovers

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Shocks Vs. Coilovers

Postby SIMO888 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:54 am

Morning all,

Just need some advise I couldn't find a post on here that talks about Shocks VS Coilover I am driving a gen4 premium liberty and suspension needs updating.... The car I am driving is mostly for everyday use and will be hoping to do some track work down road. I was wondering what are the pros and cons to both shocks and coil overs my budget is 2k no inc fitting

I know I can get for 2k brand new bilstein shocks with lowered eibach supplied and fitted or kido coilovers for $1500 supplied and fitter any other brands welcome to ideas and suggestion's
SIMO888

Car: iberty tuned by sti MY07

Re: Shocks Vs. Coilovers

Postby shav » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:10 am

SIMO888 wrote:Morning all,

Just need some advise I couldn't find a post on here that talks about Shocks VS Coilover I am driving a gen4 premium liberty and suspension needs updating.... The car I am driving is mostly for everyday use and will be hoping to do some track work down road. I was wondering what are the pros and cons to both shocks and coil overs my budget is 2k no inc fitting

I know I can get for 2k brand new bilstein shocks with lowered eibach supplied and fitted or kido coilovers for $1500 supplied and fitter any other brands welcome to ideas and suggestion's

For 2k you can get Shockworks coilovers that apparently will blow your mind for the track.

Speaks to BigBadBenny for details.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby fedaykin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:56 am

You also have MCA as an option.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby Clearlight » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:25 am

Depends on the quality of the roads you drive on . For mostly smooth road driving , quality coil overs with sensible ( not too stiff )
spring rates and not more than 25 mm lower than standard , would be ok . Be aware there is a vast amount of crap on the market .
MCA , Shockworks , Ohlins are a couple of the good brands . An issue with coil overs , you generally lose the rubber mount between
the body and the suspension parts , so noise and vibration can go up .

For rough country ( or city ) roads driven regularly , I would avoid coil overs and suggest just stiffening and raising the rear springs
slightly and fitting premium quality shock absorbers / strut inserts . Maybe add a front anti roll bar for casual track work and get
a wheel alignment with more negative camber all round .

I have MCA blue coil overs in my BL and they are excellent for the money spent , great for spirited driving in the country roads
just out of town here in Brisbane . Unfortunately , upcoming changes in my employment will mean I will have to do some driving
on gravel roads and poor quality country roads . Before the new job I will be removing the coil overs and replacing them with a setup
mentioned in the second paragraph . Horses for courses . The MCA setup will be for sale shortly at a fair price on this forum .
Clearlight

Car: Liberty BL

Postby Adrian2627 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:18 pm

What Bilsteins are they offering? There are a number of different models. The OEM are basically B4 built specifically for Subaru so you want B6 or B12 for any improvement over stock. The B12 is the most common replacement here in Japan followed by the B14.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:31 pm

shockworks are $2150 + shipping + fitting. For $2k total budget I would get MCA blues every time.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby shav » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:38 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:shockworks are $2150 + shipping + fitting. For $2k total budget I would get MCA blues every time.

Where do you get them and what are the legalities like locally with those fitted?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:39 pm

shav wrote:
HardwareBoB wrote:shockworks are $2150 + shipping + fitting. For $2k total budget I would get MCA blues every time.

Where do you get them and what are the legalities like locally with those fitted?

The MCAs? Through mcasuspension.com - ring them up and have a chat. As I understand it SA has some whacky rules with coilovers, so you'll have to do your own research there - In Victoria they are fine. Shockworks are through own here on the forum.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby shav » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:26 am

HardwareBoB wrote:
shav wrote:

The MCAs? Through mcasuspension.com - ring them up and have a chat. As I understand it SA has some whacky rules with coilovers, so you'll have to do your own research there - In Victoria they are fine. Shockworks are through own here on the forum.

Thanks mate. Will check it out. Yes SA is wacked out on its dumbass rules. Thats what annoys me the most otherwise I would have gotten coilovers months ago.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Shockworks are brilliant whether hitting rumble strips on the track, huge cobbled speedbumps in Collingwood, on crappy country B roads or on bumpy dirt and gravel.

It's a motorsport grade product with oversized hardware, pistons and shock body.
The damping feel on zero is comparable to babied billies without the crashing bottom out on big hits.
If you want it firmer, eg for track work, dial them up a little or as far as 12, and they'll follow the road surface with more precision and feedback.
Their damping is digressive meaning it increases with compression forces.
Due to the proprietary floating piston design, they do the work of controlling excessive body roll, in turn allowing for the stock swaybars to be retained, keeping the chassis responsive and compliant: the result is more wheel travel and more grip.

Coupled with quality rims and superb tyres, a minimum of chassis braces and bushes, the effect is without peer.
Check my profile to see what I've done to complement them, the effect being that I forget about suspension issues and bad roads and just enjoy driving the car, the exception being when hazards are encountered and always conquered with minimal concern. Overall the car feels planted and steerable even in very sketchy conditions.

When the going gets tough they're in your corner, keeping the car composed and pointable.
I could go on, and probably will :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby 3rspecb » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:41 am

Clearlight wrote: An issue with coil overs , you generally lose the rubber mount between the body and the suspension parts , so noise and vibration can go up .

As much as I love my shockworks coilovers, the increased NVH I don't.
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby Manaz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:04 pm

3rspecb wrote:As much as I love my shockworks coilovers, the increased NVH I don't.

How much increase?
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:48 pm

Usually from the hard camber tops.
The rubber mounted whiteline com-c tops might be an alternative.

Personally I've not noticed any increase in nvh but it's been ages since I've had billies, and going from Corsas to S001's really quietened down the road noise.
Plus the H6 is a notably smooth engine compared to the 2.5t with 3"tbe...
I propose back to back testing ASAP :P
bigBADbenny

Postby SIMO888 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:29 am

what I have set up in the car so far is

white line KCA334 Front Control arm - lower inner rear bushing anti lift kit
KCA313 Front Roll center/bump steer - correction kit
BSF30Z Front Sway bar - assembly 22mm - suits turbo models - 2 point adjustable
W0406-22G Front Sway bar - mount bushes 22mm grease free
KLC139 Front Sway bar - link assembly adjustable extra heavy duty
front underbody brace soon to be installed

rear

BSR39Z 20mm - suits all models - 2 point adjustable
W0406-20G bushing 20mm grease free
KLC144 link assembly adjustable extra heavy duty
Swaybar reinforcements
rear underbody brace

just wondering though if the cusco center underbody brace will do much and do tower braces really do much or are they all bs ??
SIMO888

Car: iberty tuned by sti MY07

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:42 am

I sold my upgrade sways as not required w/ decent shocks, eg SW/MCA.
Let the chassis breath as Brett says :)
I'm running an avo h brace and genome strut bar up front and avo hd sway mounts and the forward links of the avo 4point kit at the back.
bigBADbenny

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.