thinking about a second set of wheels for track use

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

thinking about a second set of wheels for track use

Postby lilbeefer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:22 am

08 TBSTI Wagon, I currently have the standard Enkeis fitted and love the look of them so will keep them for DD use. I have been on 4 track days so far and am hooked. I will definitely go again, however i have torn chunks out of the side of my current tyres (shitty firestones) and want a set of alloys with track specific, or at least very agressive street tyres.

My questions:
1. What are the specs of the standard enkeis? I know the standard tyres are 225/40/r18 but am not sure about the alloys themselves.

2. Is there anywhere i should be looking for 2nd hand wheels? I dont want to buy shitty new wheels and cant afford strong / light track wheels, so was hoping there was maybe someone that imports 2nd hand wheels from Japan or something.... ebay is a nightmare.

3. I was considering Toyo R888 as a track wheel. Is this dumb?
lilbeefer

Re: thinking about a second set of wheels for track use

Postby HardwareBoB » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:34 am

1. 18x7.5 +55 5x100

2. Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/6739163 ... 8/?fref=ts

Heaps of wheels sold all the time :) - ultrex also have a sale for cheap wheels atm, you can get a set of rotas for $1000 new.

3. This is not dumb, but bear in mind, with a dedicated track type tyre, the grip (*especially* compared to your shitty firestones) will be much much greater - this will very much change the dynamics of the car, and you will want to look at adjusting your suspension to suit - I am assuming you have coilovers, and if you don't, rush out and buy a set of shockworks or MCA right now. You may also want to invest in an adjustable swaybar and have it lower for everyday, and hard for the track - although YMMV, It depends on how it goes for you.

If you're spending more time at the track then you probably want to consider the following:

* Buying a GC8 or other for the track and leaving the lib for daily duties.
* If you don't like the sound of the above - getting an oil temp gauge (possibly some others), and looking at your overall cooling setup, suspension bushes etc. When the semis, your car will be pushed much more than it is now.
* pads/rotors/brakes - higher speeds, more grip = more load on the braking system.
* I've also heard that wheel bearings tend to go under extreme load and require more airflow.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby lilbeefer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Unfortunately, I deleted my FB account ages ago and refuse to rejoin :twisted:
Thee seems to be a sets of GT Spec B alloys floating around, they might be easiest. Dont tell me about the GC8 route, i have stupily bought 2 in the last 5 years for very cheap (3k) and sold them both quickly afterwards. Regret it so much as I loved driving them and really cannot see any others popping up.

I have already upgraded my pads alround and put drilled/slotted rotors on the front. Managed to get through the last track day fade free with these, so very happy with them. The original TBSTI brakes i had fadeded quickly and I accidentally took my mate for an offroad excursion during passenger laps! :shock:

Good idea on the oil temp guage. As far as suspension goes I just have the standard Bilstein that came with the car. Coilovers are on my shopping list. Thanks for your help!
lilbeefer

Postby fedaykin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:29 pm

Look for second hand wheels around the 18x8 +45 mark specs. Get Hankook RS-3. R888 doesn't like heavy vehicles from what I've read and experienced.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby lilbeefer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:59 am

Am I ok looking at alloys with a small offset difference? Was worried it would mess with handling... good tip on the tyres.
lilbeefer

Postby fedaykin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:18 am

Just to clarify, the Toyo R888 are 'clubsport' tyres, but they tend to overheat on heavier cars (say, 1,200kg+). I experienced this in an R33 GT-R (285/30/18 sized R888) after two laps around SMSP south (they were used R888 though). I suggested Hankook RS3 because they're a good 'track day tyre' that you can drive on the street, I have them on my GT-R.

BUT since you'll have dedicated track wheels, I suggest proper semi slicks (e.g. Advan A048, Hankook Z221).

The change in the track won't be too much, you're fitting them within standard guards.

Something like this would be good with 235/40/18 tyres:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/joondalu ... 1097521959

I also suggest to look on Yahoo Auctions Japan and get Jesse Streeter to bring in a set for you.

If you want a new set, something like these would be nice:
http://www.jdmconcept.com.au/part/work/ ... ype-cs-set
http://www.jdmconcept.com.au/part/ssr/gtv-02
http://www.autotechnik.com.au/index.php ... uct_id=144
http://www.autotechnik.com.au/index.php ... duct_id=96
http://www.autotechnik.com.au/index.php ... uct_id=371
http://www.autotechnik.com.au/index.php ... uct_id=358

Happy hunting!
Last edited by fedaykin on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
fedaykin

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:25 am

You'll find it hard to get rims w/brembo clearance and similar width offset to the tbSTi enkeis.
JDM enkeis in 18x8 +48 is an example.
Going a bit pokier will increase your scrub radius a little which will make the steering slightly heavier, but not a major drama.
Use a tyre and rim calculator to check.
Around 18x8.5 +45 is where the guards need rolling upward, beginning with the rears at that offset.
Coilovers will help with fitment and alignment options and if eg Shockworks, actually help your lap times :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby gen3v8 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:54 pm

I`m running JDM enkeis with Nitto Nt01 235/40/18 for the track. Only had it out 1 time and took 2 seconds off my pb in traffic
Last edited by gen3v8 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just an old V8 fart that has seen the LIGHT
gen3v8

Car: MY09GT SPECB WAGON GEN IV 6mt

Postby lilbeefer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:30 am

Thanks for the help everyone. Ive thought about it and for now I cannot justify spending that much. If I could source some grey market (track only) wheels tyres cheap I would jump on it. Unfortunately though I do not feel like I am going to stumble across a set of jdm enkeis and track tyres like gen3v8 here has! (Those wheels actually look great as well, but I think the would look weird on a silver car)

For now I am going to keep saving and enjoy the huge understeer I get on track days. Seriously, my tyres are absolutely shot, it is almost embarrasing.

Edit: nobit actually IS embarrasing. I can post a video of my tyre damage.
lilbeefer

Postby gen3v8 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:59 pm

lilbeefer wrote:Thanks for the help everyone. Ive thought about it and for now I cannot justify spending that much. If I could source some grey market (track only) wheels tyres cheap I would jump on it. Unfortunately though I do not feel like I am going to stumble across a set of jdm enkeis and track tyres like gen3v8 here has! (Those wheels actually look great as well, but I think the would look weird on a silver car)

For now I am going to keep saving and enjoy the huge understeer I get on track days. Seriously, my tyres are absolutely shot, it is almost embarrasing.

Edit: nobit actually IS embarrasing. I can post a video of my tyre damage.

Gold on silver? Wifee driving her car(my rubber)
DSC00554 (700x465).jpg
DSC00554 (700x465).jpg (244.82 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
gen3v8

Postby lilbeefer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:34 am

I take it back
lilbeefer

Postby blacktop™ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:22 pm

you don't need jdm enkeis. TBH thats probably the most expensive way to go about it and on top of that it's a shit size wheel.

Go for something thats 8.5inch wide as thats the most suitable for a 235 tyre. 235 is also (usually) the cheapest size tyre because thats what commodores and falcons use.

18 x 8.5 with with a safe offset like +44 is what you should be looking for, not crappy overpriced/underwidthed (lol) JDM STi enkeis.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:27 pm

Just buy a set of new rotas, $1200 delivered, No fuss.

You could also buy a set of Ultrex rims - they are stupid cheap, and surprisingly I've not seen anyone unhappy with them.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby gen3v8 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:28 am

blacktop™ wrote:you don't need jdm enkeis. TBH thats probably the most expensive way to go about it and on top of that it's a shit size wheel.

Go for something thats 8.5inch wide as thats the most suitable for a 235 tyre. 235 is also (usually) the cheapest size tyre because thats what commodores and falcons use.

18 x 8.5 with with a safe offset like +44 is what you should be looking for, not crappy overpriced/underwidthed (lol) JDM STi enkeis.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
gen3v8

Postby fedaykin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:41 am

As per above, get a set of ROTA wheels. They're just track hack wheels anyway, don't need it to be "JDM BRO" wheels.
fedaykin

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.