Brake Fluid/Braided Lines Upgrade

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Brake Fluid/Braided Lines Upgrade

Postby Turbo Lag » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:29 pm

I've already searched this place for what brake fluids everyone is running and the general consensus seems to be to to simply get brake fluids off the shelf and replace them more often. However, I have heard a lot about both ATE Typ200 (aka Super Blue) and Motul RBF600 (or RBF660). I was previously running whatever the dealer threw in, and now am running Castrol React Performance DOT4 (off the shelf and in abundance here, plus relatively cheap). I do a lot of (heavy) mountain driving and have had my "brakes fade" (actually boiling fluid, where the pedal has been straight to the floor) with the older fluid numerous times, so I immediately changed to the Castrol stuff and haven't had any issue since. That said, I want to try new fluids on the next flush which is why I'm considering Typ200 or RBF600, both of which don't seem to be that expensive. The only issue is, I have no clue where to even purchase either of these. Does anybody have any experience with these two fluids or know where to buy them? If they aren't insanely expensive I'd want to give them a go and try them at least once for myself to make my own judgement.

Additionally, who retails braided lines? Is there a certain brand that most here go for? I've seen some with Goodridges but I have no idea where to purchase any of these. I'm not fussed as to what brand they are as long as they're not known for being complete rubbish.

My car is a 2.5i Safety Pack with RDA rotors and Bendix General CT pads, otherwise stock/OEM.

Cheers!
'04 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Safety Pack Sedan 5MT & '08 Subaru Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI Wagon 6MT & '00 Toyota Altezza RS200-Z 6MT & '96 Honda CBR250RR MC22
Turbo Lag

Car: 04 2.5i & 08 TBSTI & Altezza
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36287

Re: Brake Fluid/Braided Lines Upgrade

Postby Surge » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:58 pm

I had brake fade with my 2.5i.

I found the best solution is to get some GT or 3.0 H6 brakes as they are bigger and vented in the rear.

Usually a full set with rotors and pads goes for $500.
I got mine plus slotted dba4000 and good pads for less than that all up.

Then pay $225 and get the HEL 6 line kit of braided brake lines :
http://www.helperformance.com.au/hel-br ... pec-b.html

If you have the tools, DIY to save some money.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby fedaykin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Shame the Penrite Sin/Racing brake fluid has disappeared, they used to be $25/500mL.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby Turbo Lag » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Surge wrote:I had brake fade with my 2.5i.

I found the best solution is to get some GT or 3.0 H6 brakes as they are bigger and vented in the rear.

Usually a full set with rotors and pads goes for $500.
I got mine plus slotted dba4000 and good pads for less than that all up.

Then pay $225 and get the HEL 6 line kit of braided brake lines :
http://www.helperformance.com.au/hel-br ... pec-b.html

If you have the tools, DIY to save some money.

I would definitely like to go for GT/3.0 brakes and realistically it would be ideal bang for buck, but I've already spent money on my rotors and pads and would rather buy parts that I could re-use with a better model (I plan on finding a GT sooner or later). From what I know the braided lines are compatible with all models? Thanks for the link, will check out the HEL lines, they seem to be popular and have a good rep too. :)

fedaykin wrote:Shame the Penrite Sin/Racing brake fluid has disappeared, they used to be $25/500mL.

Not heard of this before, was it popular? Still can't find any ATE or Motul vendors but apparently some bike shops have Motul.
'04 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Safety Pack Sedan 5MT & '08 Subaru Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI Wagon 6MT & '00 Toyota Altezza RS200-Z 6MT & '96 Honda CBR250RR MC22
Turbo Lag

Postby owen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:57 am

I keep Endless RF650 on the shelf in Ringwood for $60/500ml

Fluid is still clear after 2 track days (which really shocked me to be honest)
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby Turbo Lag » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:38 pm

owen wrote:I keep Endless RF650 on the shelf in Ringwood for $60/500ml

Fluid is still clear after 2 track days (which really shocked me to be honest)

Would try but that's a bit of money haha, was hoping to find something a tad cheaper but I suppose that is the price for good fluid. Does fluid usually deteriorate after one or two track days? What fluids would you compare this to that didn't last as long? Cheers!
Turbo Lag

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:54 pm

If you've seen Owen on a track, that's good, very good :)
Generally brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it becomes contaminated with atmospheric water and loses its effectiveness.
Change as per the recommended interval or as required pending useage :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Turbo Lag » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:40 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:If you've seen Owen on a track, that's good, very good :)
Generally brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it becomes contaminated with atmospheric water and loses its effectiveness.
Change as per the recommended interval or as required pending useage :)

Not seen on the track no! Would definitely be a treat. I doubt I'm pushing anywhere near track levels :lol:, just need something with enough feel and isn't spongey (which is why I'm interesting in the brake lines). I just like to try new things even though I know realistically it will last a fair bit longer than I leave it. :D
Turbo Lag

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.