Quietest tires you can get

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: Quietest tires you can get

Postby AAA » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:46 pm

Hey guys. Got the michelin 3 st. 225 / 45 / 18. Cost $235 a tyre. Bob jane discount was not great ($4 or so off a tyre).

Treadwear rating is 340 which is decent.

All I can say is the noise has definitely dropped.
These are probably the best tyres for the price for this car. I did a recording before getting the tyres, ill do another and see if I can upload the comparison.
AAA

Car: 2010 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby shav » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:58 am

AAA wrote:Hey guys. Got the michelin 3 st. 225 / 45 / 18. Cost $235 a tyre. Bob jane discount was not great ($4 or so off a tyre).

Treadwear rating is 340 which is decent.

All I can say is the noise has definitely dropped.
These are probably the best tyres for the price for this car. I did a recording before getting the tyres, ill do another and see if I can upload the comparison.

The Bob Jane deal is usually for Continental or Bridgestones. The Michelins are a great tyre if BJ weren't going to give you a better deal I would have gone elsewhere. Did you use your roadside assistance card? (aka RACQ/NRMA/RAA) That gives you a further 5% off the total bill as well.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Jup » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:51 am

I really must learn to start flashing around my RACV card... so many discounts I'm just not aware of...

I'm glad to hear the STs are working our for you.

My problem is that they're not available in 225/50 so I'll either need to go 55, or if I have to, wider to keep the ratio legal.
Jup

Car: MY15 3.6R

Postby shav » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Jup wrote:I really must learn to start flashing around my RACV card... so many discounts I'm just not aware of...

Oh man, you gotta get on that. My local cinema has discount tickets to any movie for like $12 anytime of the week when I flash that card. Works for 2ppl at a time with 1 card. They wont advertise it because it means more money for them and less paperwork. But you wont know until you ask. Same goes for most retail businesses now. Just ask if they have [insert card type] discount at the time of payment. Worst thing they say is no.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby AAA » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Ah damn had no idea about the nrma discount! All good next time!

Update on road noise after listening to the recording. It's not a world of difference and barely noticable. So maybe the liberty is just badly insulated
AAA

Car: 2010 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby muzza » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Interesting that you find the Gen V noisy - I have a 2013 model - still has original Bridgestone RE050's on (not for long as they are nearly out @ 50K km) but I don't find it noisy, but it does depend on the road a bit, as with many cars.

The aussie coarse chip roads are the worst it seems with tyre roar, but open-graded pavement (think new freeway in town area) is just a faint hiss.

I'll be looking at new tyres in Dec/Jan and leaning toward RE003's in 235/45/18 but not set on them.
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY23 Tiguan R

Postby fedaykin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:48 am

Apparently the RE003 become loud as they wear, Dunlop style?
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Previous

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.