235/40/18 fitment, rolled lip/camber?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: 235/40/18 fitment, rolled lip/camber?

Postby niggel_e » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:44 pm

I run 235/40/18 with 50 offset on a stock b spec with pretty conservative (read standard) alignment settings. Not had a single issue. Having said that there is probably only about 3 more mm to spare before i might have to consider some counter measures.

if you are going 44 offset (6mm more than mine) then yes you may have some issues, but having said that, i is only going to be a small amount that you will need to gain. If you can get 3-4mm extr clearance from some careful guard pulling, should be sweet as.

Cheers
niggel_e

Car: 2005 liberty 3.0 sedan.

Postby lojk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:04 pm

I ended up with the re003's fitted last week in stock size. A fantastic tyre, loads of grip wet or dry.

I'm not sure about the alignment the shop has done though. Camber up front is different left/right. L is -0.3 degrees, R is -1.37 degrees.

This doesn't seem right to me, and I don't want to chew out the inside of the front right tyre.
I questioned the shop, and they told me you can't adjust the camber on the subaru. sounds like BS to me...
lojk

Postby HyRax » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:15 pm

lojk wrote:I questioned the shop, and they told me you can't adjust the camber on the subaru. sounds like BS to me...

They are half right. There is limited adjustment you can do with the stock camber bolts, but not full adjustment unless you have aftermarket gear installed such as coilovers, etc.

If you are in Sydney, I highly recommend Jax Tyres in Thornleigh for wheel and 4-wheel alignments. Easily the best alignments I have ever had.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby lojk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:46 pm

hmm, that'd only impact the range of adjustment though.

They should be able to get the two sides close within the normal range right?

Nah I'm in Perth.
lojk

Postby HyRax » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:56 pm

lojk wrote:They should be able to get the two sides close within the normal range right?

Yes, absolutely. The difference certainly shouldn't be that large anyway.

Ring up some other places and ask them for their opinions. I think you will find that the guy you went to was just being lazy.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby lojk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Thought as much. I'll chase it up.

thanks again.
lojk

Postby RX25SE » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:29 pm

lojk wrote:Camber up front is different left/right. L is -0.3 degrees, R is -1.37 degrees.

This doesn't seem right to me, and I don't want to chew out the inside of the front right tyre.
I questioned the shop, and they told me you can't adjust the camber on the subaru. sounds like BS to me...

Setting the camber as above allows for the camber of the road and helps prevent the car pulling to one side. The LH tyre is closer to the vertical but the road has more curve towards that side so the amount of tyre hitting the road is similar to the right hand side.
This can also be achieved by setting the casters slightly different each side (caster spread).

Having said that, most wheel alignments are 'toe and go' where the only adjustment made is the toe in, fast and easy.

TBH getting a wheel alignment when new tyres are fitted is a little un necessary. If the old tyres have even wear then why bother? On several occasions I have seen new tyres chopped out because a well aligned car had an incorrect alignment carried out.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Previous

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.