18x8.5 +44 offset. What tyres would you recommend and where?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: 18x8.5 +44 offset. What tyres would you recommend and wh

Postby Iggy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:03 pm

shav wrote:Kings Springs are an ok entry level spring for those on a budget. It will do the job but the ride quality will be less than you have now. I wouldnt go less than a Kings low (25mm drop) to still give an added handling gain but not sacrifice ride quality too much.

Do you think I should go for King Springs? Will the 25mm drop be enough, you think? What else would you suggest?
2012 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

Mods:
OEM Subaru Front Sports Mesh Grille; Rota Gravel (Hyperblack) 18x8.5; Nexen N8000 Tyres (235/40/18); King Lowering Springs, X-Force Reso and Muffler with 2.5" Custom Piping CBE. Ultrex Cabon Fibre Lip Spoiler, OEM Subaru Weather Shield, HKS180's Interior and Exterior LEDs.

Pending Mods:

Looking for STI lip
Iggy

Car: 2012 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30931

Postby Iggy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks for your input, I'd definitely consider looking into other springs for that reason. I'd prefer to get coilovers as well but I don't think I would be worth it because I don't really drive hard and my car is just NA. What coilovers are you on? I was looking at DGR or BC for myself.
2012 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

Mods:
OEM Subaru Front Sports Mesh Grille; Rota Gravel (Hyperblack) 18x8.5; Nexen N8000 Tyres (235/40/18); King Lowering Springs, X-Force Reso and Muffler with 2.5" Custom Piping CBE. Ultrex Cabon Fibre Lip Spoiler, OEM Subaru Weather Shield, HKS180's Interior and Exterior LEDs.

Pending Mods:

Looking for STI lip
Iggy

Car: 2012 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30931

Postby shav » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Iggy wrote:
shav wrote:Kings Springs are an ok entry level spring for those on a budget. It will do the job but the ride quality will be less than you have now. I wouldnt go less than a Kings low (25mm drop) to still give an added handling gain but not sacrifice ride quality too much.

Do you think I should go for King Springs? Will the 25mm drop be enough, you think? What else would you suggest?

Depends what's available for your car. Being Gen 5 I couldn't tell you. Lots are going for coilovers, but be aware of state legalities and your insurance. Insurance companies love loop holes to not pay if coilovers are not legally met in the event of an accident. In SA, for me to run coilovers I need an engineers certificate. It's an added 1-1.5k on top of the coilovers alone and I am not allowed to adjust them.

Perhaps look into what the gen 5 GT's are running and getting the suspension from one of those? Or google around to see what is available in a shock/spring combo.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby HyRax » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Iggy wrote:I'd prefer to get coilovers as well but I don't think I would be worth it because I don't really drive hard and my car is just NA.

Coilovers aren't reserved exclusively for turbo cars - all a turbo car does is get you up to speed quicker. An NA can keep up in the turns quite easily, you only lose out on the straight. The coilovers have absolutely transformed the ride for me - I highly recommend them.

Iggy wrote:What coilovers are you on? I was looking at DGR or BC for myself.

I'm just using BC Racing. Great for street and occasional track. If I was doing more track, I'd get something better suited.

shav wrote:Lots are going for coilovers, but be aware of state legalities and your insurance.

Yes, it varies a lot between states. In NSW, coilovers ARE allowed as long as they meet or exceed the original specifications of the parts they replace (there are no formal documented restrictions on adjustable or fixed coilovers either), but changing your height does require engineering (used to be 5cm either way allowed).

But unfortunately in NSW, the big downside is that even with full engineer documentation and certification, a cop reserves the right to defect you anyway and make you go get checked out. You'll spend $200, have an engineer tell you all your stuff is in order (even the RMS will say so) and there's nothing you can do to get your time and money back. People with completely factory stock cars have been defected before.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby fedaykin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:05 pm

King lows should be enough, STi springs if you want to spend that much.

Also, try these tyres: http://www.stgeorgetyres.com.au/tyres/m ... etail.aspx
I'd never run on anything less than that or Kumho KU31. Wouldn't bother with Nexen.

Actually, I'd get something like the Continentals mentioned earlier. Only one thing keeping your car attached to the road, why cheap out on that?
I went from hardly worn Kumho KU22 to Momo M3, what a big improvement in noise and grip it made!
But then, my other car has Hankook RS-3...

*edit*
RE: HyRax; I remember reading in the old SPEED magazine, when the GDB WRX STi came out, the dudes picked the car up from Subaru and a short time later, got defected for factory aluminium pedals :lol:.
Oh and this is what 235/45/18 on 18x7.5 wheels looks like lol
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Previous

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.