Page 1 of 2

Look what happened to my tyre this morning! :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:59 am
by Ric
One of the original Bridgestone RE050A's.
It's been on the car since new, so done about 55,000km.

Getting a bit worn, but still well off the wear indicators.
It was wet and slippery driving to work this morning. I gave it a bit of stick doing a right hand turn from a stop sign, and all four wheels span for a moment, then I heard a "ca-chunk, ca-chunk" noise coming from the back.
Pulled over, but couldn't see a problem, so slowly drove the last 2km to work, then when I pulled the wheel off I found this...

Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:22 am
by AdamW
It always sucks when they go like that (unexpected).. 55K is a damn good effort thou.. I had the same thing happen on new tyres after about 5K.. If I ever get anywhere near 55K out of a set of tyres I will be overjoyed..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:52 am
by senator
55k from the RE050A's

ric you drive like a granny...... :D

what was your ongoing tyres service like, wheel alignment and rotation every 5000km???

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:16 am
by Arith
Ric, good thing it didn't blow and you weren't hurt. Could have been worse! But don't think I've seen it peel like that before. :?

senator wrote:55k from the RE050A's
ric you drive like a granny......

Haha. Ric, you're supposed to give it a hit near the beginning of a tire's life cycle, not the end!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:24 pm
by swingn
Damn! Not something I would expect from such an expensive tyre. Infact, I've never seen that problem on a tyre myself (Unless they were doing burn outs of course :P )

55k out of a set of tyres is a bloody good effort. My originals lasted around 30k!

Are you going to complain considering it is still above the indicator? Obviously what happened was dangerous...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:10 pm
by Ric
I think it'an aligment problem. I did have it checked and adjusted 6 months ago, but the whole inside shoulder is worn.
(The worst of it may gave happened BEFORE I had the alignment adjusted.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:30 pm
by EJ25
too much camber Ric. lol Must have dumped ur car badly. like this:

Image
ROFL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:57 pm
by Mano™
hahaha camber :P

yeah ric u drive like a granny :P u need some snail action

well my tyres were dead @ 20k hahahhaah now 30k still same tyres :P they grip heaps good... soo what's the problemo? :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:27 pm
by alcapone26
Had same issue with mine and I actually blew front right tyre on the inside last Friday night. Ordered 2 x Potenza 215x45x18 @ $385 each. Was quoted anything upto $450. Mine lasted 35k so no complaints.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:44 pm
by Ric
That's a good price.

I've been offered:
Bridgestone RE050A: $400
Yokohama Advan Sport V103: $380
Hankook something or the other: $250

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:59 pm
by overl0ad
if you're lookignn at 050A's, i'd suggest looking at the RE001

:)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:42 pm
by suff
overl0ad wrote:if you're lookignn at 050A's, i'd suggest looking at the RE001

:)


Just be aware that they are a bit noiser than the RE050A's (from personal experience)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:45 am
by gtspec
damn that looks bad.. as said lucky the tires didnt blow out..

hard to see in the pic, but if there isnt alot of camber or alignment wear on the tyre i would claim manufacture warranty.. even after 55k your tyre shouldnt do that unless below the indicators..

who knows u might even get 4 new ones if u complain enough hehe good for another 55k :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:29 am
by Ric
There is a lot of wear on the inside shoulder. That's why I had the alignment checked and adjusted before.

Once the tyre is off the wheel, I'm going to cut a cross section out of it to have a good look at the wear.
I tried this once before with a hacksaw, and now know you cannot cut through the bead with just a hacksaw. I'll be using an angle grinder this time! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
by XRC15T
eeeek scarey, lucky you found it before anything serious .