What rims/tyre size should I get?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

What rims/tyre size should I get?

Postby Bugalugs » Wed May 20, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi guys,

Looking to upgrade the stock 17" rims on my white 05GT wagon.

Love the look of the tbsti rims the most. If I can't afford them second hand the Rota Gravel look like a good plan B.

1) what size rim should I go for? Even after researching I still don't know what's generally the best size for me to upgrade too!? I was thinking an 18" rim, but 18 x what? 7.5 or 8 or 8.5?!

2) What tyre size?

Will upgrading to a larger rim fill out the look of the wheel arch more? (As I have stock suspension so it's sitting quite high)

If anyone has any "if I were you" advice I could really use it!!! It's mostly a daily driver, just want to tie the look of the car together nicely with rims and a nice set of tyres to go on them. Just don't really get all the size options and I don't want the wheels to scrub etc either. Thanks a million! :)
Phat Dump I TCP Quads I Kido Tune I HIDs I ...and loads of Plasti-dip
Bugalugs

Car: 05 Liberty GT Wagon

Re: What rims/tyre size should I get?

Postby HyRax » Thu May 21, 2015 1:29 am

I have 18x8.5" Rota Gravels on my car with 235/40/18 Kuhmo KU36's. They JUST fit flush to the body, but you should consider rolling the rear guards anyway so you don't scrape under load.

Click for full size!

Click for full size!

Click for full size!

The 235 wide tyre provides a vertically flush match to the rim (no stretched look), but provides no gutter protection as a result. If you want the rubber to extend beyond the rim to provide some gutter protection, you will need at least 245 wide rubber, but at this point you'll definitely be sticking slightly outside of the front guards (rears will still be fine).

For no hassle with a guaranteed guard fit with wide rubber, go with the 8" wide rims with 225, 235 or 245 rubber depending on vertical sidewall preference.

Note that my tyres are slightly larger than what I should be running (I really should be running a 35 profile). This has the net effect of filling out the guards a bit (with stock suspension height) and also corrects my speedo slightly, but it now means my odometer is slightly off by about 200 metres or so when you do the 5km highway test.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby shav » Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 am

HI Dan - Rota's are an excellent choice. Im in the middle of choosing rims myself and in the same sort of predicament in choosing wisely.

I have chosen not to go the Rota's only because of the wider rim. I am not one for wanting to guard roll. So I am going for an 8" wide rim to avoid those additional hassles. If the Rota PWR-FA's came in an 8" wide option and still maintained a +44 offset I would be all over it. Alternatively I am seriously looking at the Koya range. Specifically the 5 spoke designs in satin black. The ones I am looking at are either the Koya R5 machined or Koya ISR7's. Both are the same price as the Rota's and are big brake compatible if I ever were to upgrade. Worth a look.

Check out the second to last page of my thread of a white wagon like your with those wheel on there.

Also, Ultrex have their rims on sale at the moment if a multi spoke design is still what you are after. 18x8's too.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby blacktop™ » Thu May 21, 2015 12:21 pm

8.5 width is ideal as that's what is the right size for a 235 tyre and a 235 tyre is usually cheapest as a rule of thumb because it's a common size. With a width of 8.5, you'd want an offset in the mid to high 40's to be able to not have to roll the guards although it's a good idea to do it anyway as mentioned already.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:16 pm

You can legally run 235/40R18 on an 8" wheel as per the australian wheel and tyre guidelines. All depends on offset how flush it will sit. The 235/40R18 are actually slightly smaller than the stock 215/45R18. The 235 has a 645mm rolling diameter opposed to stock 651mm RD which is only 6mm
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:18 pm

blacktop™ wrote:8.5 width is ideal as that's what is the right size for a 235 tyre

Agreed 8.5" is optimal size for 235. 8" is minimum
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby Tien GtB25 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Dont do it man ... stick to or OEM wheels.

Listening to these guys .... next thing you know retune, dump pipe, bigger brakes, suspensions upgrades will follow.
I was in your position once... but now.... not so much. Spend your $$$ on holidays ... taking the woman out to dinner...buy your kids some toys..... etc.

Hint - the above mods are also my chosen path already BTW.... it is just a matter of time.
Blame Shav. Works for me.

Tien.
Tien GtB25

Car: MY08 Blk GTB 2.5
Profile URL: Definition of AWD - The ability to do burnout..front and back !

Postby shav » Thu May 21, 2015 3:39 pm

everybody blames me. That's because I like to encourage everyone to come down the slipperly slide of modding with me so I dont feel alone. haha :mrgreen: :lol:
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Bugalugs » Thu May 21, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks everyone! Great feedback :)

HyRax the rims look great mate, So have you just added Sti centre caps to the Rota Rims? I Can't tell they aren't Sti looks the same to my eye.

So sounds like ideally 18 x 8 would be good size for me from what I can gather, with maybe a 235 tyre and I won't need to roll guards. I Will take some time to browse over the other rim options you provided Shav. Late now and had a long day will digest it more tomorrow! Great start though Thanks again dudes :)

Dan
Bugalugs

Postby HyRax » Thu May 21, 2015 11:34 pm

Bugalugs wrote:HyRax the rims look great mate, So have you just added Sti centre caps to the Rota Rims? I Can't tell they aren't Sti looks the same to my eye.

They are literally FleaBay stickers over the tops of the Rota caps. They've never peeled even after dozens of pressure washes! There's also some pretty good STi clear-domed cap replicas there too.

Click for full size!

Click for full size!

Bugalugs wrote:Thanks again dudes :)

You're welcome!
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby Bugalugs » Sat May 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Sweet Hyrax!!! Great combo for the budget minded - like me!

Had a look over the Koya rims you recommended Shav. They look really smart, very nice finish, but for me the stocks are 5 spoke and they are too similar so trying to get away from that look. Also, more spokes probably hides my stock brakes haha cause they are way down on the mod list.

At a crossroads. To mod more or call it a day?

Have done:

Phat Gt Dump
TCP Quad tips (stock mid + Y)
Kido Tune
Cosworth filter + res delete
HID and led interior from Leo
Ebay Lip
Plastdipped grill, fogs, lip and rear diffuser
Carbon wrap in the post for interior

Ideally my total realistic list includes:

Sti enkei rims
Silicone inlet, MAF, throttle hoses
PW TMIC
Kinugawa 19T turbo
3 port boost solonoid
Retune with Matt,

and for handing get:
Whiteline front/rear sways with LCA bushes/lift kit upgrade
DBA rotors and upgraded pads

There's another good 5k right there. Wondering if I should back out of the rabbit hole now and just be happy eating grass on the surface bahaha!! Alternatively hunt down 2nd hand parts to try reduce cost, but need patience and constant scanning of ebay/gumtree etc
Bugalugs

Postby jslayz » Sat May 23, 2015 7:54 pm

2nd list looks good. Will be nice to have but only rims n brake essential. IMO.
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby HardwareBoB » Sat May 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Bugalugs wrote:blah blah mods blah

DO IT!
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Bugalugs » Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 pm

jslayz wrote:2nd list looks good. Will be nice to have but only rims n brake essential. IMO.

Cheers mate :)

Thinking next step is Rims and the LCA Lift kit as mine are all cracked and need replacing anyway, then brakes down the track when they are due. Definitely addictive this modding :lol:

HardwareBoB wrote:
Bugalugs wrote:blah blah mods blah

DO IT!

Haha! Got to keep going, at least for "the last item" and i'm done :) I remember on your thread you picked up your STI's with rubber (were the tyres any good) for around 1k? Great buy! Was that on this forum or ebay etc? Also, are they Gunmetal colour? The colour is nice on the white wagon, not too black and not silver, a nice in-between, what I will be aiming for. Cheers
Bugalugs

Postby shav » Sun May 24, 2015 12:18 pm

That's fair enough Dan, you got to be happy with the finish appearance at the end of the day. All the best with your decisions either way :wink:
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.