What rims/tyre size should I get?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: What rims/tyre size should I get?

Postby Bugalugs » Sun May 24, 2015 9:04 pm

shav wrote:That's fair enough Dan, you got to be happy with the finish appearance at the end of the day. All the best with your decisions either way :wink:

Thanks Shav, will keep an eye on your profile, keen to see what wheels you end up getting. Still need to update my profile with some pics, next weekend me thinks
Phat Dump I TCP Quads I Kido Tune I HIDs I ...and loads of Plasti-dip
Bugalugs

Car: 05 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby shav » Mon May 25, 2015 9:37 am

Bugalugs wrote:
shav wrote:That's fair enough Dan, you got to be happy with the finish appearance at the end of the day. All the best with your decisions either way :wink:

Thanks Shav, will keep an eye on your profile, keen to see what wheels you end up getting. Still need to update my profile with some pics, next weekend me thinks

I've made a decision with my wheels. If all going well I should have them fitted Friday. So I'll post up pics after they are fitted.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Bugalugs » Mon May 25, 2015 5:42 pm

Sweet mate, nice! Keen to see the pics

I called OnBoost wreckers today about 2nd hand sit rims. Had a set of 5 with wear/gutter rash and %60 tread left on rubber wanting $1700 firm. Still trying to work out what they are worth - not cheap is all I know so far! haha.But that did sound a bit pricey given their condition
Bugalugs

Postby HyRax » Mon May 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Bugalugs wrote:I called OnBoost wreckers today about 2nd hand sit rims. Had a set of 5 with wear/gutter rash and %60 tread left on rubber wanting $1700 firm. Still trying to work out what they are worth - not cheap is all I know so far! haha.But that did sound a bit pricey given their condition

OnBoost go up and down in price. There are some months they are dirt cheap and others they are expensive. Going in person, I had a very set of clean rims with rubber offered to me for $1,200 and I stupidly passed up buying a set of near-unmarked post-facelift OEM HID headlight housings with ballasts and globes for $500 for the pair because they needed to move the car in preparation for new stock coming in. They now quote me $500 each for the same thing today, and I've now settled for aftermarket HID instead.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby Bugalugs » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:16 pm

Hyrax - I am thinking of going down the ROTA Gravel path the same way you have as I can't be assed waiting months to score some STi's. I am thinking of going ROTA Gravel 18 x 8 in Hyperblack with +44 offsets. Had a look at your profile pics are the rims and the car look great man nice job!

Going for the 18 x 8 size, I shouldn't have any problems fitting a decent tyre should I? and I shouldn't need to roll my guards right? as I don't want to have to do that if possible. Hard to get a feel for them just looking at pictures, but the hyperblack look pretty sweet to me. They will be going on a White Wagon. Hard to know whats going to look better between the two colours on white. Anyone want to throw in their two cents worth - Hyperblack or gunmetal!?

Cheers :D
Dan
Bugalugs

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:53 pm

I recently went through the same dilemna and took nearly 6 months to sway my vote. I was keen on black wheels on the white car but after seeing a few in real life mainly commys and falcons i turned against it as i saw one commy with nice black wheels parked up looking good then from a distance saw a another white commy thinking it was the same one with black wheels but as i got closer realised they were steel wheels with no hubcaps and came to the conclusion the black gets lost ad it contrasts so hard.

My 2c but each to their own. Good luck with choice
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby HyRax » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:38 pm

Bugalugs wrote:Going for the 18 x 8 size, I shouldn't have any problems fitting a decent tyre should I? and I shouldn't need to roll my guards right? as I don't want to have to do that if possible.

Mine are the 8.5" versions. I rolled my rears just to be safe but I don't think I was really that close to begin with. Each situation is different, however. Fit first and assess. If in doubt, get rolled. The rubbing that I did get on big bumps under heavy load previously was actually inside on the splash guard and was eliminated when I got my coilovers (rear stock suspension was simply being too saggy with age).

Bugalugs wrote:Hard to get a feel for them just looking at pictures, but the hyperblack look pretty sweet to me. They will be going on a White Wagon. Hard to know whats going to look better between the two colours on white. Anyone want to throw in their two cents worth - Hyperblack or gunmetal!?

The gunmetal has a hint of brown in it that is visible in direct sunlight. The closest to the original STi colour is the HyperBlack which is what you see on my car.

Colour reference between the three available colours can be seen here. Gunmetal is on the left, HyperBlack in the middle and Silver on the right. Not shown is Gold which is a fairly close match to WRX STi Gold, but it appears they don't supply that anymore and the Rota website seems to have replaced Silver with a "Matt Black" colour.

Against a white vehicle, both Gunmetal and HyperBlack should work fine but if i were in your shoes, I'd go with HyperBlack only because I'm OCD enough to match the look of the original STi rim as much as possible.

As for tyres on an 8" rim, 235 will be flush and 245 will start to muffin slightly (not as much as factory though) which will give you some degree of gutter protection.
HyRax

Postby shav » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:40 am

Im running a 225/40 on my 18x8 +45 wheels. On appearance they look slightly stretched which i don't mind the look of. Also i wanted to clear the guard from any rubbing and avoid rolling the guards and i reckon it just achieves this. As for your color choice i reckon the hyperblack as well. It's awesome.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Bugalugs » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:03 pm

So found a top quality set of WRX 2011 rims I want to buy at a good price.
Dimensions are 17 X 8" with +53 offset normally running a 235/45/17 tyre.

Do they fit Libs ok? Any problems with the offset or that setup? Can anyone who knows about rims help out, going to inspect tomorrow want to jump on these. Thanks!
Bugalugs

Postby HyRax » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:35 am

Yes, they will fit, but as long as you don't have Brembo's.
HyRax

Postby shav » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:26 am

Bugalugs wrote:So found a top quality set of WRX 2011 rims I want to buy at a good price.

Do they fit Libs ok? Any problems with the offset or that setup? Can anyone who knows about rims help out, going to inspect tomorrow want to jump on these. Thanks!

Shouldnt be a problem Dan. Go for it. Will look nice
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Bugalugs » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:35 am

Awesome thanks guys! Let you know how I get on with them :)
Bugalugs

Postby a9entjones » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:52 pm

I have them on my black MY05 3.0R. Love them.
a9entjones

Car: 2005 3.0R & 2001 Bugeye WRX

Postby Bugalugs » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:04 pm

HyRax wrote:Yes, they will fit, but as long as you don't have Brembo's.

Thanks mate! No chance of me getting Brembos any time soon :)

shav wrote:
Bugalugs wrote:So found a top quality set of WRX 2011 rims I want to buy at a good price.

Shouldnt be a problem Dan. Go for it. Will look nice

a9entjones wrote:I have them on my black MY05 3.0R. Love them.

Cheers guys! picked up a set of 4 for $400, 2 rims are as new, one has a tiny rash on it and the 4th has a few small paint chips < 5c piece size. Seemed like a good score so I finished work early and drive to the Central Coast to grab them. Lucky I did as another Sydney sider had arranged to head up straight after he knocked off work. So not 18" rims as I was originally after, but it keeps inline with my budget upgrade theme, keeps the speedo accurate and gives the car a whole new look and they are a gunmetal grey which is the colour I was after. Was going to swap the Falkens off my stock rims onto the new rims, but when we inspected them the Tyre guy said they were cactus anyway (almost at the indicator). Going to get touch up paint tomorrow for the tiny chips/rash and repair while they are off the car then fit tyres Saturday and hopefully get them on the car!

I really need to post a profile page with all my pics and upgrades so far (have taken shots of everything, just need to find the time to sit down and update it all). Tyre guy thinks a good size for the rim/car will be a 225/45/17 as it will have a nice side wall for comfort on the crap Sydney roads. Hopefully with the small drop from the Billies and Pinks I am soon to install they will still fit ok in the arch/edge. If not can always roll it if required.

Brings me to my next point: Any tips on a mid price tyre that has good grip, is pretty quiet and good quality for 225/45/17? Will start searching previous threads later tonight but some of the main ones I have heard of are Continental and the RE002/RE003 although they may be out of my price range. Probably around $250 per corner is max what I am looking to spend. Probably more concerned with grip/ride comfort than a super low profile look. Thanks again one and all :D
Bugalugs

Postby Bugalugs » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:10 pm

Tried to post pic didn't work....hmm
Bugalugs

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.