What rims/tyre size should I get?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: What rims/tyre size should I get?

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:40 pm

225/45R17 will fit nicely although isn't a very common size so will always cost a bit more. Goodyear directional 5s will be a little more than your budget if memory serves but grip nicely and are pretty quiet. A really common size is 235/45R17 but require a slightly wider wheel i think will check tomorrow but am fairly certain.
Keep us informed how you go
For images i use imgur and copy the forum link code bbc maybe i cant remember. Pics of the wheel would be sweet
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby Bugalugs » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Brunsy3.0 wrote:225/45R17 will fit nicely although isn't a very common size so will always cost a bit more. Goodyear directional 5s will be a little more than your budget if memory serves but grip nicely and are pretty quiet. A really common size is 235/45R17 but require a slightly wider wheel i think will check tomorrow but am fairly certain.
Keep us informed how you go
For images i use imgur and copy the forum link code bbc maybe i cant remember. Pics of the wheel would be sweet

Thanks Brunsy :) Ok pictures take two (this time after reading the how to guide haha)

New rims! Not great light out under the back deck at night, but better than nothing :)

Up on the hoist - for a peek at what they will look like. They are back off the car now until I decide on new tyres for the weekend. Only stock 2011 WRX rims but the look is so different to the Lib stock rims! and easy on the wallet
Last edited by Bugalugs on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phat Dump I TCP Quads I Kido Tune I HIDs I ...and loads of Plasti-dip
Bugalugs

Car: 05 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:21 pm

I didnt realise they were an 8" wheel. Would fit 235s on piece of piss with the offset only thing to watch would be inner guard touching. Let us know which way you end up going
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Postby Bugalugs » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Brunsy3.0 wrote:I didnt realise they were an 8" wheel. Would fit 235s on piece of piss with the offset only thing to watch would be inner guard touching. Let us know which way you end up going

Thanks Daniel. Yeah they are 17 x 8 +53 offset. I have stock suspension at the moment but am installing Billies with new pinks in next two weeks so will drop around 15mm I think. Currently has 215/45/17 and heaps of room around and above the tyres. If the 235/45/17 will fit fine that will work well as two of the Dunlop tyres on the new rims have %80 tread, so I could potentially keep them and only buy two new ones. Otherwise just replace the lot and start fresh
Bugalugs

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:57 pm

If the tyres are still mounted you should slap them on and see how much room you h available e to work with id be confident to say theyd fit as mine with 225/45R18s has maybe 10-15mm of room on the inside so adding 5mm of tyre but gaining a few mm with offset should have plenty of room. The 235s are dramatically cheaper can get a lot more for your money
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Postby shav » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:30 pm

Those wheels look mint Dan. Good pick up. Post up a pic of the car with them all on when you can.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Bugalugs » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Before
After!

Got the new rims (2nd hand 2011 WRX 17x8) on today and wrapped them in RE003's at a cost of $750 for 4 corners including fit/balance and alignment. Stoked with the new rims which cost me $400 and are close to the look I was after (a gunmetal, multi-spoke look). Total cost for rims & new tyres $1,150. Took the car for a spin through Royal Nat Park and WOW these tyres are sensational! The grip is amazing. Massive grin from ear to ear. Will know more in the days and weeks ahead but so far they are quiet, dampen the road shock better than the Falkens and the grip is just nuts. I was taking the recommended 25km/h sections at 60 and the 45 km/h sections at 80 and I wasn't pushing it that hard, had a fair bit more to give. Never heard a tyre squeal once on those tight bends. They are really nice and very happy with the rubber choice thus far. Took a few snaps of the car and new wheels while down there, here's a few to tickle the taste buds. Cheers :)

Last edited by Bugalugs on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bugalugs

Postby HyRax » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Looks great! Contrasts very nicely against white and will also hide brake dust too.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby shav » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:04 pm

The car looks the good Dan. Nice work. A visual and handling improvement. Gotta love that
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Bugalugs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:18 pm

HyRax wrote:Looks great! Contrasts very nicely against white and will also hide brake dust too.

shav wrote:The car looks the good Dan. Nice work. A visual and handling improvement. Gotta love that

Thanks lads! I'm happy with the contrast, I find full black on white is a bit intense, but the gunmetals are a good balance. Bonus on the brake dust too - the stockers would powder up one day after washing. Yeah Shav, it's a pretty satisfying upgrade to get a whole new look to the car AND big handling improvement at the same time - looks and feels good :) Stoked
Bugalugs

Postby shav » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Bugalugs wrote:
HyRax wrote:Looks great! Contrasts very nicely against white and will also hide brake dust too.

shav wrote:The car looks the good Dan. Nice work. A visual and handling improvement. Gotta love that

Thanks lads! I'm happy with the contrast, I find full black on white is a bit intense, but the gunmetals are a good balance. Bonus on the brake dust too - the stockers would powder up one day after washing. Yeah Shav, it's a pretty satisfying upgrade to get a whole new look to the car AND big handling improvement at the same time - looks and feels good :) Stoked

Hope you enjoy it mate. It's always a tough arduous task trying to find the right wheel for the right price. I think you have found a good balance.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby dan_ashcroft » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:39 pm

Bugalugs wrote:Got the new rims (2nd hand 2011 WRX 17x8) on today and wrapped them in RE003's at a cost of $750 for 4 corners including fit/balance and alignment.

Hey mate, can you tell me where you got this deal from?

Looking good btw. :)
dan_ashcroft

Car: MY06 3.0R-B on E85

Postby Bugalugs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:05 pm

dan_ashcroft wrote:
Bugalugs wrote:Got the new rims (2nd hand 2011 WRX 17x8) on today and wrapped them in RE003's at a cost of $750 for 4 corners including fit/balance and alignment.

Hey mate, can you tell me where you got this deal from?

Looking good btw. :)

Yeah man. Bob Jane T-Mart in brookvale on Pittwater Rd is where I got the tyres, just last week. Give them a buzz they said they had a sale on them atm @ $175 a pop
Bugalugs

Previous

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.