New Bilsteins - Rear Lower (Saggy Butt)

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

New Bilsteins - Rear Lower (Saggy Butt)

Postby Curley5959 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi All,

Have finally got around to replacing all 4 Bilsteins. The fronts were done a few months ago, the rears just last week. When the fronts were done, it has lifted the car up at least an inch, which makes the car look terrible, especially when parking on grass or a softer, uneven surface. The Springs are Stock. I thought this might be fixed by replacing the rears, but it hasn't.

I know this is a common issue, but there doesn't seem to be a definite solution. One solution would be to possibly replace the springs with something like STI Pinks, but I don't particularly want to increase the harshness of the ride. The roads (if you can call them that) on the South Coast NSW are terrible, and even now it can be a little uncomfortable at times. An issue that was mentioned in lowering with springs was that if the struts have not been designed for lower springs (in this case this Bilstein model has not), the decrease in the overall travel for the strut can cause issues.

Another possible solution I came across was to install Strut Top Spacers/Saggy Butt Shims. I measured the height difference and the front is a whopping 25mm higher than the rear when parked on a flat surface. (See attached image).

I am inclined towards going for Strut Top Spacers as the height in the front doesn't bother me too much (It's still quite low and will ride better on these roads). However, I will need 1" Spacers, of which I have been trying to purchase from Paranoid Fabrications, but the website is currently broken when Checking Out. Another place is Subtle Solutions (enquiring about shipment outside of US).

The questions I had were are there any reasons not to go for the Strut Top Spacers. Upon further reading, well, only information I could find is on 4x4s with 2"-3" Spacers, but nontheless, the increase in the height will reduce the Struts Travel Distance and increase pressure on all surrounding knuckles, including the Ball Joints, which can cause premature wear and possibly break, or something to that effect.

I am doubtful there will be any issues, as the sag in the rear will be fixed by a 1" increase in ride height, and as the front sits at that height, I believe the rear should to, and if anything it should actually relieve pressure on the rear suspension components, as well as prevent excess use of the bump stops?

Any ideas? I will be going ahead with the purchase if I hear back from either party unless somebody strongly advises against it. I have seen this mentioned a few times throughout the forum as a solution but most people seem to get lower springs, or go for coilovers (not really an option seeing so I just spend close to $1400 on Bilsteins since January - I know, don't even need to mention it :P - waiting for the "Could have had TEIN Coilovers for $800 delivered" heard it all before)

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Aaron

(FILEminimizer) IMG_1160.JPG
(FILEminimizer) IMG_1160.JPG (108.01 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Re: New Bilsteins - Rear Lower (Saggy Butt)

Postby Robbks » Fri May 15, 2015 9:48 am

springs are shagged,
replace with STi pinks.. :D

The pinks are actually less harsh than the stock springs
they are more "jiggly" at low speeds but not harsh
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby McDoof » Fri May 15, 2015 11:47 am

I just had my front springs reset to even out the same issue. Going to refit them weekend and see what the result is like
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby Curley5959 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:56 pm

Whats the best option for purchasing a set of STI Pinks? Nengun seems pretty expensive and freight is over AU$200 :( Purchasing a 2nd hand set may result in a similar issue, not to mention difficulty in availability
Curley5959

Postby Robbks » Fri May 15, 2015 1:36 pm

best solution is finding a complete set of TB STi Wagon billies and springs
About $700 usually for <100k
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby McDoof » Fri May 15, 2015 2:47 pm

Can also try rhdjapan.com and japanparts.com
McDoof

Postby Curley5959 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Robbks wrote:best solution is finding a complete set of TB STi Wagon billies and springs
About $700 usually for <100k

I have brand new Bilsteins already so I only need the springs. Is there another brand of spring someone could recommend. Don't mind lowering 15-30mm or so. As long as they don't impact the comfort too much, make a lot of noise and are bouncy.
Curley5959

Postby Curley5959 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:52 pm

From what I can find, $670 delivered from Japan within 2-3 weeks is the best I can find for STI Pinks. On top of this, the rear may still need spacers.

This might sound crazy, especially after spending $1400 on Bilsteins, and close to $300 on Strut Tops, but I am over it to be honest and am heading towards purchasing Coilovers. With the rear so low, handling hasn't been very good, and the look of it is driving me crazy. Spacers may fix the height issue, but again, this still involves pulling the rear suspension out again.

The setup would look fine on a Sedan, as I imagine the load rate/spring height for a sedan would be around what my rears currently are.

An expensive lesson learnt. I thought I was doing the right thing maintaining the "B" in 3.0R Spec-B. I guess this issue wouldn't bother most people but after spending so much money/time/effort to get everything installed and to have it looking like it does, it is disheartening.

I think I might just bite the bullet and buy a set of BC Racing BR Coilovers for $1299. At least I wont have issues with height and I should be able to make most of it back by selling the Bilsteins.
Last edited by Curley5959 on Sat May 16, 2015 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curley5959

Postby McDoof » Sat May 16, 2015 5:25 am

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=29877&hilit=Shockworks#p404734

Have a read about these. Might be a better option. Although a bit more. $$
McDoof

Postby Shaheenis » Mon May 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Curley5959 wrote:From what I can find, $670 delivered from Japan within 2-3 weeks is the best I can find for STI Pinks...

Dude, you can get a full set of STI pinks new and delivered from Japan Parts for ~$450 air freight = quick. What makes you think the back will still sag? If you get wagon springs there shouldn't be any levelling issue. Also with new struts and springs it takes some time for them to settle.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby Curley5959 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:19 pm

Shaheenis wrote:
Curley5959 wrote:From what I can find, $670 delivered from Japan within 2-3 weeks is the best I can find for STI Pinks...

Dude, you can get a full set of STI pinks new and delivered from Japan Parts for ~$450 air freight = quick. What makes you think the back will still sag? If you get wagon springs there shouldn't be any levelling issue. Also with new struts and springs it takes some time for them to settle.

Should have posted an update. Decided last week to go with a set of Pink Springs from Japan Parts. To prevent the Saggy Butt, I went with the 'GT MT Wagon Pink' setup as recommended by this thread:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... e925c&amp;

I have also read a few reports of people going with this setup in Aus and have only heard positive comments. Tracking says they should be here tomorrow hopefully :)

After the conversion and shipping - $473.62 AUD

Looking forward to the changeover. I will let you know how it goes.
Curley5959

Postby Shaheenis » Mon May 25, 2015 9:41 pm

That would be awesome Aaron, I wonder if these are the same ones that would fit mine. I will have to read the thread and see if it covers it. I remember being confused on Japan Parts because they have 2-3 different springs to suit same vehicle with different part numbers and was looking for reassurance.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.