Issue with Steering

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Issue with Steering

Postby Curley5959 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:35 am

Hi All,

Seem to have developed an issue with steering over the past few months. When steering around a slight bend, around 80km+ being the worst (the faster the worst), the steering seems to feel not directional, especially when straightening up. It seems slack (even though steering feels slightly heavier than it should), even though there appears to be no looseness or knocking when steering.

List of things completed, not necessarily to fix this issue but may be relevant. The issue was present before all of this:
- Power Steering Pump whines, O-Ring replaced but no improvement. No leaking.
- Belt Tensioner and 2 x Pulleys replaced.
- Whiteline Front Sway Bar (Rear is still on order)
- Sway Bar End Links replaced
- New Genuine Strut Top Mounts + New Front Bilstein Struts.
- New tyres - RE003s
- Wheel Alignment x 2

I have a small list of possibilities:
- Power Steering Fluid needing replaced - doesn't look too dark.
- Tie Rod Ends (Inner and/or Outer)
- Power Steering Pump?
- Wheel Alignment - Bad machine?

The issue isn't too bad but I do notice it on my daily drive and it is starting to annoy the hell out of me. It doesn't feel sturdy around corners, mostly slight bends and straightening up. Steering feels great when under a medium/hard turn, except for straightening up.

I cannot think of any of the above modifications/replacements contributing to the issue, as it seems to have been around for a while now.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks,
Aaron
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Re: Issue with Steering

Postby Toon » Fri May 01, 2015 2:03 am

I have a similar issue, happend over a few months going around basically any corner, doesn't feel directional after a certain point. Its annoying the crap out of me lol I have 4 brand new tyres, I took mine into a suspension place and was told it was my sway bar link ends, and lower control arm front and rear bushes.. I also had a knock at the time from the link end, $800 the knock is gone but everything is the same.

Do you also find when you go over big bumps/pot holes your steering wheel jerks??

cheers
Toon

Car: Subaru outback 2006(MY07)

Postby Curley5959 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:40 pm

Toon wrote:I have a similar issue, happend over a few months going around basically any corner, doesn't feel directional after a certain point. Its annoying the crap out of me lol I have 4 brand new tyres, I took mine into a suspension place and was told it was my sway bar link ends, and lower control arm front and rear bushes.. I also had a knock at the time from the link end, $800 the knock is gone but everything is the same.

Do you also find when you go over big bumps/pot holes your steering wheel jerks??

cheers

Yes the steering wheel jerks going over bumps but I think that is normal with any car. Just the play that prevents any damage/excess wear and tear.

It also seems alignment or power steering related, so I am going to start by having the power steering fluid flushed and an alignment from another mechanic/machine.
Curley5959

Postby Toon » Sat May 02, 2015 12:09 am

Curley5959 wrote:
Toon wrote:I have a similar issue, happend over a few months going around basically any corner, doesn't feel directional after a certain point. Its annoying the crap out of me lol I have 4 brand new tyres, I took mine into a suspension place and was told it was my sway bar link ends, and lower control arm front and rear bushes.. I also had a knock at the time from the link end, $800 the knock is gone but everything is the same.

cheers

Yes the steering wheel jerks going over bumps but I think that is normal with any car. Just the play that prevents any damage/excess wear and tear.

It also seems alignment or power steering related, so I am going to start by having the power steering fluid flushed and an alignment from another mechanic/machine.

Yeah but i mean jerks too the point where it feels dangerous, ive hit pot holes that have made me swerve across the road.. It never happend when i first got the car either

Thanks ill get it looked into and post back :)
Toon

Car: Subaru outback 2006(MY07)

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:17 am

Is it like if you put the wheel at full lock whilst moving the wheel will not straighten itself out?

Sounds like an alignment issue. Get them to check caster
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby Legacylad » Sat May 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Steering rack bushes?
Legacylad

Car: 07 GT-B Sedan

Postby Curley5959 » Sat May 02, 2015 11:39 pm

Brunsy3.0 wrote:Is it like if you put the wheel at full lock whilst moving the wheel will not straighten itself out?

Sounds like an alignment issue. Get them to check caster

Yeah it does that as well.

At speed though, It definitely does not feel responsive or directional at all. Upon reading more about Caster it definitely seems to have the symptoms of Positive Caster (less directional, harder to steer, more pressure on pivot point when turning).

Guess its somewhere to start from.

Thanks for the help!
Curley5959

Postby Adrian2627 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:59 am

The first place to start with a BP/BL Liberty is the rear bushes on the front lower control arm. These flog out pretty quickly and cause the car to feel vague especially as speeds increase. Sway bar end links are another but the most common culprit is the lower control arm bushes. If they are flogged then replace them with either a Nolethane one or a Whiteline Anti Lift Kit. The ALK will add more caster which will improving your steering as well using a material that won't flog out like the soft OEM one does.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby Curley5959 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:16 am

Adrian2627 wrote:The first place to start with a BP/BL Liberty is the rear bushes on the front lower control arm. These flog out pretty quickly and cause the car to feel vague especially as speeds increase. Sway bar end links are another but the most common culprit is the lower control arm bushes. If they are flogged then replace them with either a Nolethane one or a Whiteline Anti Lift Kit. The ALK will add more caster which will improving your steering as well using a material that won't flog out like the soft OEM one does.

Car has Nolathane rear bushes on Lower Control Arm. Were already installed on car when purchased. Sway Bar end links were replaced 10k ago.

The issue hasn't always been present, only developed over the past few months.

There seem to be no other symptoms like knocking. I have fixed all of these issues and the car was fine for a few months but has started to develop this steering issue.
Curley5959

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun May 03, 2015 7:23 am

I'd check if the guibo on the steering uni is flogged out.
Iirc a blue or pink banded STi uni from a GD should fit and tighten up the feel at the expense of transmitting a little more fingertip nvh.

Get some help to visually check the uni, eg lock the steering wheel and have someone turn the tyre, whilst you're peeping the action at the uni.

I have a spare uni with guibo if you want to stay stock :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby mason.a » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:47 pm

Bringing up an old post, but was this problem ever resolved in your case?

I've started experiencing the exact same thing in my liberty. Mechanics say that my front control arm bushes are in need of a replacement, but even then might not show any improvements.

Cheers
mason.a

Car: MY08 Liberty 3.0R Spec. B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27447

Postby Curley5959 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Im not too sure. I had the Power Steering fluid flushed but still had the issues. I tried getting air out of the system but it didn't work until I finally came across a post that suggested to take the Serpentine Belt off and wind the power steering pulling slowly for about 5 mins. All of this when the car if off of course. Seems to have done the trick.

I was also running a Whiteline Sway Bar on the front and stock on the rear (as I couldnt source the part). Finally got a hold of one and installed it also. Didn't make any difference to steering. New tyres made it feel stickier and heavier, but I found out the mechanic had put in 36 in the Front and 30 in the Rear. No wonder it felt heavy. Running at 38 all round now and feels good.

Steering still feels heavy-ish but is consistent now. I think it might be an issue with the Power Steering Pumps and possibly gunk or air caught in the system. I also installed a hose clamp onto the top feed line and I am not sure if it has done anything, but it certainly won't hurt.

So to summarise, it seems like flushing the power steering fluid and properly getting rid of any air helps, and ensuring you have the right amount of pressure in the tyres.
Curley5959

Postby mason.a » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:37 am

Thanks for the reply mate.

The first time I experienced it, I immediately checked the tyre pressures, as the steering felt exactly like the tyres were flat.
When I got the car serviced, I was told that the front control arm bushes were worn and on their way out, so I wonder if that's the source of the sloppy steering.
Either way, I'll get the power steering system bled, Whiteline bushes to replace all control arm and rack and pinion steering mounts. Hopefully this will fix whatever issue I'm having.
mason.a

Car: MY08 Liberty 3.0R Spec. B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27447

Postby RX25SE » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:05 am

Siezed lower ball joint?

This can effect the ' returnability' of the steering.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.