Improved Handling on a budget

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Improved Handling on a budget

Postby Bugalugs » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:23 pm

Howdy Y'all!

I have an 05 GT Wagon - all stock. I want to get better handling, responsiveness, and reduced body roll.

From the research I have done on the forum, does this sound like the best basic upgrades to get increased handling without breaking the bank?

1) Replace LCA with Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit (The existing bushes are cracking currently);
2) Whileline Rear sway bar
3) Upgrade rear sway mounts to heavy duty ones

Is it dangerous to do the rear sway bar only as I have read/heard it can cause fishtails at highway speeds etc? If theres something else worth doing let me know, but my main aim is greatly improved handling without spending a shit load!! Thanks guys this forum has helped me so much already, Peace :D
Phat Dump I TCP Quads I Kido Tune I HIDs I ...and loads of Plasti-dip
Bugalugs

Car: 05 Liberty GT Wagon

Re: Improved Handling on a budget

Postby jslayz » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Sounds like a good plan.
you will probably want sticky tyres after those 3 are done.

Enjoy!
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby Shaheenis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:50 pm

The swaybar is not dangerous lol. A rear bar on the hardest setting is what the car should have anyway. I did both but had the rear for over a year before front. Front is a waste of time. Put the rear on hardest setting. Your on the right track with what you are doing but there will be a few threads that cover handling mods already.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Also note that the LCA bushes (front front) are not the ALK bushes (front rear) - you are talking W0506 vs KCA334
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Shaheenis » Fri May 01, 2015 2:22 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:Also note that the LCA bushes (front front) are not the ALK bushes (front rear) - you are talking W0506 vs KCA334

Matt, I have factory LCA bushes, didn't realise ALK were different. What do you mean by front rear? Is the ALK a worthwhile mod in G4?
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby HardwareBoB » Fri May 01, 2015 2:33 pm

^ that's the difference :)
ALK -
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (WALK) is designed to add 0.5 deg static positive caster to both front wheels while changing the nature of front anti-dive & lift. The low compliance bush also maintain higher dynamic positive castor & change the front control arm geometry that positively influences front suspension attitude. This leads to superior traction under power including cornering dramatically reducing understeer & front wheel spin. The additional castor coupled with the new firmer bushings supplied serve to dramatically sharpen initial turn-in response then forcing more consistent alignment angles through the corner due to the reduced bush compliance

I think it's worthwhile, however I can't seperate it out, as I had both bushings installed at the same time as the shockworks, but makes sense what it's doing, especially if you're putting a bit of torque down - I can see them being less valuable in a stock car, and certainly I don't think there's as much BFYB as the LCA front bushings.
HardwareBoB

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri May 01, 2015 3:01 pm

By all means go for a harder rsb and mounts, but take time in a safe place to find out how it affects the handling.

I found out the hard way driving around a kangaroo on the Hume at 110kph.
The car started fishtailing after I turned right to avoid the roo in the lhs lane, then left avoiding the lhs guard rail at which point the fishtailing started.
I went for a matching fsb after that, then went back to stock sb's on Shockworks.

So I'd advise upgrading your shocks, then go sways if really required, then test it safely at high speed.
But good dampers preclude the need for sways IMHO.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Bugalugs » Fri May 01, 2015 10:03 pm

Great feedback guys thankyou!
I meant to ALK earlier but it seems like a good idea to do both KCA334 and W0506 at the same time while down there.Will take it all into consideration.

So regarding the shockworks coil overs, if you install them does that basically negate the need for sways? Whats the ride comfort like on shock works? Is it a good balance of handling and comfort because thats what would be ideal for me, although not sure I can afford them.

On another note just got my PhatGT dump, Kido tune and HID's - all done today!! Drives like a completely different car now, SOOOOO much better in every department - Gear changes are now super smooth, throttle response amazing - lag has almost gone, faster spool (from peak 14.3 psi/3700 rpm to 17.3 psi/2500 rpm), fuel economy (12L/100 to 10L/100 so far) loving it.

Thanks everyone for your feedback on my threads it's the only reason I half know what I'm talking about :D :D :D A few weeks ago I wouldn't have had a bloody clue what a TMIC was (I had to google it haha) :lol:
Bugalugs

Postby Bugalugs » Sun May 24, 2015 2:20 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:Also note that the LCA bushes (front front) are not the ALK bushes (front rear) - you are talking W0506 vs KCA334

Trying to order these on Ebay, but my car (05GT Wagon) doesn't come up on the suitable vehicle list (has outbacks, impreza etc). Are they all the same part if its KCA334 and W0506 regardless of what vehicle it says, or is the same part number used for diff cars, its a bit confusing. Just want to know if these will definitely fit my car, anyone know? Ready to pull the trigger and order - just want to be sure!

KCA334
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Whiteline-Fr ... 2346b60f72

W0506
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Whiteline-Fr ... 259b232c42

My Liberty isn't listed on either of the eligibility tables. Cheers :D
Bugalugs

Postby McDoof » Sun May 24, 2015 6:08 pm

So I'd advise upgrading your shocks, then go sways if really required, then test it safely at high speed.
But good dampers preclude the need for sways IMHO

New set of decent (better than bilstein) shocks plus some springs or a set of coil overs are unfortunately not in the "on a budget" category. I think you are on the right track with getting the RSB and replacing any worn bushes. IMHO
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby HardwareBoB » Sun May 24, 2015 9:14 pm

Bugalugs wrote:

Trying to order these on Ebay, but my car (05GT Wagon) doesn't come up on the suitable vehicle list (has outbacks, impreza etc). Are they all the same part if its KCA334 and W0506 regardless of what vehicle it says, or is the same part number used for diff cars, its a bit confusing. Just want to know if these will definitely fit my car, anyone know? Ready to pull the trigger and order - just want to be sure!

KCA334
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Whiteline-Fr ... 2346b60f72

W0506
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Whiteline-Fr ... 259b232c42

My Liberty isn't listed on either of the eligibility tables. Cheers :D

the part numbers are all the same. See the whiteline website for fitment, but I have those exact bushes on my car.

http://whiteline.com.au/do_segue4.php?m ... 3-8%2F2009
HardwareBoB

Postby Bugalugs » Mon May 25, 2015 5:38 pm

Thanks Matt,

Ordered them both today off MRT ebay site :D , seems to be a good budget improvement and the existing black ones are cracked anyway and need replacing, sounds like I may feel the difference in the steering from what other people have said
Bugalugs

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri May 29, 2015 8:38 am

Yes upgrade sways are not recommended with Shockworks.
I'd do LCA's RCA and AVO HD rear swaybar mounts.

The Shockworks are firmish in normal driving but far from jarring.
The main advantage is an increase in grip and control under duress in challenging or fun conditions.
Mine are at full soft rear and +2 from soft front and they thrive 5-up with luggage in touring conditions.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Bugalugs » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:14 pm

Shockworks would be the ultimate, the ducks nuts, the bees knees....but realistically another 2.5k just for suspension that's not in my budget. Got to stick to my budget or this mod beast gets out if control! I have only caught a relative sniff of it, but can see how addictive it is.

Suspension wise, I am thinking of just swapping the stock springs to sti pinks, will this give the desired result of 1" drop and slight improvement in handling, given that I have the stock struts (black ones) and not the tbsti yellow billies? Do pinks work well on stock struts, anyone know?

I have spent $3,100 on mods so far and really the last items/areas to improve for my level of mods and level I am comfortable spending is suspension improvement and mags/rims.

So far in the last few months since stock I have done:

Performance:
> PhatGT Dump
> TCP Quads
> Kido Tune
> High flow filter and res delete

I am now happy with the power level, sound and smooth gear changes. So putting the brakes on power mods.

Handling:
> Whiteline LCA KCA334 and W0506
> Cusco Break cylinder brace

Appearance:
> Front lip
> HID low beams + LED interior/Parkers
> Plastidipped grill + Fogs + rear diffuser
> Headlight restoration
> Wrapped a few items inside

To do:
- Improve suspension and lower slightly
- DIY paint stock brakes black with decals
- Sti Enkei Rims 2nd hand

Big thanks to all the help and advice everyone had given me so far, bloody awesome forum.
Bugalugs

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.