Bridgestone RE003 Review

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: Bridgestone RE003 Review

Postby dr20t » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:51 am

Had the re003's installed on the Lexus yesterday

Awesome awesome road tyre

Excluding the Michelin pilots I've driven on in another car, these are the best street/ road tyre I've driven on so far

Great write up Eduardo

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby ferret89 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:03 am

I'd be interested to see a review between the S001 and the new RE003, contemplating which ones to get when the 4 for 3 deal is on again.
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby owen » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:32 am

dr20t wrote:Excluding the Michelin pilots I've driven on in another car, these are the best street/ road tyre I've driven on so far

Bro, you're missing out! Get yourself some AD08Rs and tell me what you think 8)
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby dr20t » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:10 am

owen wrote:
dr20t wrote:Excluding the Michelin pilots I've driven on in another car, these are the best street/ road tyre I've driven on so far

When i said Road tyre I excluded r comps

My toyo R888's are awesome :D
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby andy_mac » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:45 am

Getting a set of these this week. 4 for 3 deals running right now for us over the ditch.
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby owen » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:22 pm

dr20t wrote:
owen wrote:

When i said Road tyre I excluded r comps

My toyo R888's are awesome :D

Dude. AD08R is a street tyre. A050 is the R comp. If you think the 888s are awesome..Jesus you need to get some Advans
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby spoolin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:23 pm

Bit of a thread dig I know but, are these still the tyres to have?
I tried so many different tyre shops today just trying to get a straight answer on what a really good performance tyre is and all most of them tried to do was sell me the cheapest, it was almost unbelievable for them that someone wanted their most expensive.
I eventually picked these out at a Bridgestone dealer because I liked the construction of the tread pattern, was only after that I found this thread. But since June have there been any game changing releases I should look into before committing tomorrow?
spoolin

Car: '06 tbSTI Liberty

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:31 pm

spoolin wrote:Bit of a thread dig I know but, are these still the tyres to have?
I tried so many different tyre shops today just trying to get a straight answer on what a really good performance tyre is and all most of them tried to do was sell me the cheapest, it was almost unbelievable for them that someone wanted their most expensive.
I eventually picked these out at a Bridgestone dealer because I liked the construction of the tread pattern, was only after that I found this thread. But since June have there been any game changing releases I should look into before committing tomorrow?

No. Do it.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby eduard0 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:50 am

I'm coming up on 5 months with mine, and overall I'm still pretty impressed with them. Some things I've noticed:

• They are incredibly pressure sensitive. half a pound either side and it totally changes the dynamic of the car for the worse. That said, once you're at the right pressure they seem to maintain it quite well for a reasonably long time.
  • Grip is still pretty phenomenal. I think I've only encountered one instance where grip was insufficient and it let go minutely (I'm talking inches at best), but I was pushing it to a level where I would've expected much more.
  • Road noise is much more now on most surfaces. It's not deafening, but it's definitely not whisper like it was either.
  • Some surfaces are pretty bad for harshness. The M1 from Brisbane to the Gold Coast is a good example – at any speed, the harshness can shake the fillings from your head.
  • They're still one of my favourite sports tyres out there. There are better, granted, but they all have downsides too.
  • Wear seems to be well contained by sports tyre standards.

They're impressive for a spirited daily driven tyre. There's negatives, sure, but where would you find something totally devoid of them?
#SEDANLIVESMATTER
eduard0

Car: MY10 Speedboat Premium

Postby Monkey » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:01 pm

I have the Pirelli PZero Rossos and really want to know how these compare.

I've been very happy with mine in both wet and dry, for grip and very low noise, and they've lasted about 45,000kms with still around 40% tread left.

I'm looking for a replacement for around $200/corner without downgrading

Would be very interested to know if anyone has run both the Rossos and the RE003??
Monkey

Car: MY07 black 6MT Liberty tbSTI sedan

Postby Wrighty » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:01 am

Monkey wrote:I have the Pirelli PZero Rossos and really want to know how these compare.

I've been very happy with mine in both wet and dry, for grip and very low noise, and they've lasted about 45,000kms with still around 40% tread left.

I'm looking for a replacement for around $200/corner without downgrading

Would be very interested to know if anyone has run both the Rossos and the RE003??

I still have the Pirelli's as well. Bob Jane are currently offering the 4 for 3 deal, so might be a good time! Mine have lasted around the 50,000kms and still going strong but keen to upgrade.
Wrighty

Car: 2007 Lberty GT TbSTi Black Wagon

Postby Monkey » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Spoke to a very experienced guy at Tyrepower (has been running it for 35 years). He said he can't get the Pirellis anymore, but that they were a far superior tyre to the RE003s.

However, given the plethora of good reviews about performance and price, I will probably go with them, but I'm a bit concerned about longevity. All of the reviews I've found are from people who have recently changed, except for one which said he scrubbed his out in about 12,000kms. Would be interested to hear if anyone has been running for a year or more. I'd hope to get 30,000kms (2yrs) from them at a minimum. Pirellis have lasted 40,000kms / 2.5yrs with exceptional grip in wet and dry and still going with another 3 months or so left in them.
Monkey

Car: MY07 black 6MT Liberty tbSTI sedan

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:15 pm

ferret89 wrote:I'd be interested to see a review between the S001 and the new RE003, contemplating which ones to get when the 4 for 3 deal is on again.

I know this is over 6 months old, but I can highly recommend the S001s, and the 4 for 3 deal is on again. I've had them for 2.5years. It's hard to compare, because I haven't driven on the RE003s, but based on other Libertys in the local club, my tyres definitely seem superior. The Bridgestone website has the S001s as their highest performance road tyre (the RE003 being the 2nd), and they feel like it!

Fitted from factory on cars like the Aston Martin Rapide, Ferrari 458 (until they went to another tyre manufacturer), and various Audi RS models, they perform well enough for those cars so they cope more than well enough on our cars.

They're very quiet - even on my car, which is stock levels of quietness. And just grip like there's no tommorrow (scaring me before they start to lose grip). Even with some very spirited driving, and a LOT of clutch dumping launches thanks to my tune with Launch Control, I still have half my tread left after about 20,000km.
Price for factory GTSpecB size was high $200ea, which seems like $40-$50 more than the RE003s.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby RX25SE » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:59 pm

I just fitted a set of RE003s to the RB yesterday, in the stock size of 215/45-18.

Still need a bit of scuffing but so far they seem OK. Turn in seems quite good, the best the car has felt since I've had it.

It's always difficult in accurately comparing tyres as usually the ones that come off are old (rubber has gone off) so the dry grip suffers and the tread is worn out so the wet grip suffers. I did remove the set of Federals that were on the car when I bought it as the compound is stupid hard plus one tyre decided to separate. The six year old worn out RE050s on my spare rims that went on as a temporary measure were so much better than the Federals.

I'm still spewing that Yokohama no longer make the AD08R in the size I needed, as they would have by far been my first choice, plus they are a directional pattern (so they can be flipped on the rims to combat camber wear) unlike the asymmetrical pattern of the RE003s. Second choice was RE11's but for some unknown reason they are classified as a competition tyre (to me they are just a good road tyre) so are only available via Motorsport dealers which often means no discount.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby Clearlight » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:08 pm

Just done about 1000 kays on RE 003's in 215 45 17 . Ok tyre , quite sensitive to air pressure . Rides dramatically
better around town on 31 psi than 33/35 psi . Not as much turn in feel as Goodyear F1's but the ride is a lot better .
The F1's seemed stiffer in the walls , they aquaplaned ferociously even when they had full tread , hopefully the
003's are better in this regard . The 003's edge construction should hold up better to cornering , the previous tyres
went bald on the outside edges despite having negative camber all-round .
Clearlight

Car: Liberty BL

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.