Coilovers or Springs+Camber Bolts ?! 3.0r Gen IV

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Coilovers or Springs+Camber Bolts ?! 3.0r Gen IV

Postby Jordan9495 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi there everyone, i don't normally make posts but when it comes to suspension, i want answers from the people who have experience and know it best.

So i have a 2007 3.0r Spec B in manual, I've had it for about 7 months now and have loved every second with it, i just bought XXR 527 18x8.75 with a +35mm offset and now its time to lower the car.

This is how it looks at the moment
IMG_6312.JPG
IMG_6312.JPG (163.56 KiB) Viewed 2369 times

And this is how i want it to look after everythings done
IMG_6313.JPG
IMG_6313.JPG (196.61 KiB) Viewed 2369 times

The wheels poke a bit at the front, so i know ill need some negative camber there, the back should be fine with natural camber (might get rear whiteline bushels down the road)
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender-2.jpg (93.16 KiB) Viewed 2369 times

So i have done some research but couldn't find the right answer for me anywhere, and i want to be sure before spending this kind of money.

I know that i want a minimum 50mm drop with negative camber at the front and eventually more at the rear.

My options are (after rolling my guards)

BC V1 Racing or BC BR Racing Coilovers (haven't decided on which yet) $1200-$1300 + Installation

Or springs+camber bolts/kits (have no idea which ones to get) $????

I went to a mechanic today who said no to coilovers, that they have problems and constantly need adjusting, he said springs are the way to go, he said he could drop the car 50mm all around and give me camber bolts for about $700, which seemed a bit cheap, i don't know what springs he would be using. (may supply him with some if i find the right ones)

I like the idea of coilovers, that they are adjustable and give more inner clearance, i know that i don't need them, but they seem like the safer option, but i don't really want to spend that much on lowering my car, but i will if i have to.

I don't want to get lowering springs because they won't give me enough camber and might not give me the height i want whilst making my ride like a trampoline, I've also heard that they can wear on the stock struts.

The only reason i am considering springs is because of the price, the coilovers are $1200-$1300 + installation and the springs seem to be significantly cheaper.

So my question is, if you were in my situation what would you do and what would you recommend. Coilovers or Springs+Camber Kits (and if springs which ones would you recommend)

P.S Sorry for the long post

Thanks in advance
Jordan9495

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty 3.0r Spec B

Re: Coilovers or Springs+Camber Bolts ?! 3.0r Gen IV

Postby dmhc » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:26 pm

i was recently in a very similar position to you in trying to figure out what sort of setup would work best for me -- in fact i went as far as deciding on and buying springs before realizing that my shocks were completely stuffed lol. that made my decision a bit easier to go with coilovers in the end but i know what you're talking about.

personally i am running BC BR coilvers on 18x8.5 +35 wheels and have been for about 5000km's without any issues -- cost to buy, fit and align was upwards of $1600 but was well worth it in the end.

i went with coilovers as it seemed like the more foolproof option given that they can be adjusted and configured based on preference. i was conscious of price but it was not the deciding factor for me. springs are still a very valid choice and obviously are cheaper based on your costings but you might find that it isn't suitable once they're in. i guess it depends on your budget, really.

i think there are lots of users of both coilvers and springs here so it would be nice to hear from someone else about their experience.
dmhc

Car: 08 GT spec.B 5EAT

Re: Coilovers or Springs+Camber Bolts ?! 3.0r Gen IV

Postby RX_MY02 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:42 pm

I had lowered springs on my car for a while and they seemed fine for the entire time they were on albeit a bit bumpy at times.

I then got tein coilovers and wished I had got these to begin with. With coilovers you can adjust ride height and stiffness so can be a bit more passenger friendly. Also the springs are matched to the dampers unlike lowered springs which wont be matched to your dampers

just my preference, but each to their own.
Daily Driver - Volvo S60 MY14 T6 R-Design, Red
Mods - Nil

Track Car - Subaru Liberty MY02 RX, Silver
Mods - Tein Suspension, GT Brakes, Whiteline Swaybars (F & R), Full Exhaust System
RX_MY02

Car: MY02 Silver RX

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.