Tyre Selection _ Peoples choices.

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: Tyre Selection _ Peoples choices.

Postby shav » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:51 pm

Mav954 wrote:Speedo according to my phone GPS is nearly exactly spot on now at 100kmph, Taking off from the lights and acceleration in general seems just a little sluggish compared to what it was, after a tune and exhaust I'm guessing I won't notice too much. We used to scrape every day in our driveway, now we don't scrape anywhere but it looks lower due to the full guards, I think I'll need a front lip though haha

Sounds perfect to me. That's exactly what I need. So you definitely felt a difference in ride quality going from a 40 to a 45 profile?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Mav954 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:37 pm

shav wrote:
Mav954 wrote:Speedo according to my phone GPS is nearly exactly spot on now at 100kmph, Taking off from the lights and acceleration in general seems just a little sluggish compared to what it was, after a tune and exhaust I'm guessing I won't notice too much. We used to scrape every day in our driveway, now we don't scrape anywhere but it looks lower due to the full guards, I think I'll need a front lip though haha

Sounds perfect to me. That's exactly what I need. So you definitely felt a difference in ride quality going from a 40 to a 45 profile?

Sorry previously I was on a 215/45-17 but the 45 on the 18's is still a taller profile, I'm really happy with how it rides on the STI Pinks and the 45 profile, I guess each tyre has different sidewall stiffness etc
Mav954

Postby shav » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Mav954 wrote:
shav wrote:

Sorry previously I was on a 215/45-17 but the 45 on the 18's is still a taller profile, I'm really happy with how it rides on the STI Pinks and the 45 profile, I guess each tyre has different sidewall stiffness etc

It does. Also, I believe the profile size is a percentage of the width of the tyre. So a 40 profile height on a 215 tyre will be different to a 40 profile on a 245 tyre. Correct me if Im wrong.

Do you have a side picture of how your car sits now at all?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Mav954 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:35 pm

That's correct the 40/45 is the aspect ratio, so in my case the sidewalk height is 45% of 225. Don't have any day time picks side on but you'll get the idea.

Mav954

Postby shav » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks for the pics Brady. Much appreciated. Do you feel that the tyre is 'too much' for the size of wheel you have visually? Seems as though there is some conjecture about what looks better on the 18" wheel from side on. Some seem to think the 45 is too fat, others think the 40 is spot on.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Mav954 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:11 pm

Yes I'll admit when I picked up the loose wheels after getting the tyres fitted they looked a little awkward, being a dark rim on a darker car I don't think it stands out as much, on a lighter vehicle with lighter rims I think it would stand out a little more.
Mav954

Postby shav » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Mav954 wrote:Yes I'll admit when I picked up the loose wheels after getting the tyres fitted they looked a little awkward, being a dark rim on a darker car I don't think it stands out as much, on a lighter vehicle with lighter rims I think it would stand out a little more.

Thanks for that. Yeah I'm gonna have to give it some serious thought as to what I do. Because I don't want the car to look awkward with a profile that looks balloons. Ideally a 235/40/18 would be the best as it's sort of in the middle but it will mean getting new wheels....hmmm
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Mav954 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:54 pm

Yeah I think the 40's look better but now I'm used to them and couldn't be happier, other than said performance loss...
Mav954

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Not so Shav :wink:. Just thought I would post some more feedback on my Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional 5 tyres 235/40/R18 on stock rims after 30K as I recently had a rotation and balance.

For the naysayers this profile and tyre combination have proven to have no issues, excellent wear and performance. They have many positives and no negatives I have found.

After 30K the wear is excellent and it looks like I have another 30K left in them. I also recently put them to the test in some aggressive downhill cornering and they neither came unstuck or rolled off the rims. Also no scrubbing at stock height despite being wider.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Previous

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.