Coilovers or springs?!

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Coilovers or springs?!

Postby trismang » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Driving a Liberty wagon 08, 2.5i. I won't be pushing it hard or anything, specifically for aesthetical purposes.

Budgets up to 800
Coilovers or springs ?!
trismang

Car: Subaru Legacy (Liberty)

Re: Coilovers or springs?!

Postby shav » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:01 am

Coilovers are more expensive, give you versatility but may not be legal in your state. Springs are cheaper but you'll need to be happy with what ever drop you choose regardless.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby trismang » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:44 am

shav wrote:Coilovers are more expensive, give you versatility but may not be legal in your state. Springs are cheaper but you'll need to be happy with what ever drop you choose regardless.

What springs would give a decent drop, looking to go pretty low
trismang

Postby dmhc » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:23 am

trismang wrote:
shav wrote:Coilovers are more expensive, give you versatility but may not be legal in your state. Springs are cheaper but you'll need to be happy with what ever drop you choose regardless.

What springs would give a decent drop, looking to go pretty low

from the limited research i've done, the most common springs for lowering the Liberty are from Tein & Swift -- they both reportedly offer about a 1.5" drop. you also have the option of King springs.
dmhc

Car: 08 GT spec.B 5EAT

Postby shav » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:31 am

Some springs offer better ride quality than others.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby GTbee » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:18 pm

shav wrote:Some springs offer better ride quality than others.

Never have truer words being spoken.

If you value your butt not to mention the durability of your suspension componentry, stay far away from Teins.

Never used Swifts but I've heard good things about them.

Good springs don't cost the earth and you car uses them all the time unlike a stereo etc, so no point in trying to save a few nicehhere and there by getting rubbish.
GTbee

Car: 2005 3.0R-B 6 speed Blue Sedan

Postby trismang » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:36 pm

GTbee wrote:

Never have truer words being spoken.

If you value your butt not to mention the durability of your suspension componentry, stay far away from Teins.

Good springs don't cost the earth and you car uses them all the time unlike a stereo etc, so no point in trying to save a few nicehhere and there by getting rubbish.

Are swifts like suzuki swift springs, or is the brand name literally swifts
trismang

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Lol swift is a high end Japanese spring manufacturer.
Look for a set specific to your model and body eg if wagon.
Meaning search for owners who have successfully lowered a 2.5i if that's your car...
Swift, epic, PROVA, H&R, Eibach, Vogtland or Kings.
Do your research as the wrong combo will leave the front too high.
The ride height can be tuned somewhat with saggy butt spacers.

Buy from garage88, or search yahoo.jp and buy via import monster or jessestreeter.com
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby dmhc » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:07 pm

GTbee wrote:

funnily enough, i've read the opposite of this for both of these brands too! different strokes for different folks i suppose. certainly pays to do some research.
dmhc

Car: 08 GT spec.B 5EAT

Postby shav » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Definitely research as much as you can. The thing is you wont ever get a 100% consensus on how a spring feels. It will depend on other contributing factors with your suspension. So don't take it all as gospel. Just make the best informed decision you can for your car based on as many articles and reviews you read as possible.

Brands I am researching are Teins, Lovells, kings, Sti Pinks and any other locally sourced brands out there.

Been looking at these http://www.climaxsuspension.com.au/prod ... _298_6.php
Just not 100% certain they match the ride quality of the stock springs.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby GTbee » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:29 pm

dmhc wrote:
GTbee wrote:

funnily enough, i've read the opposite of this for both of these brands too! different strokes for different folks i suppose. certainly pays to do some research.

One or two might be happy with the Teins but most were definitely not. They are utterly fucked with a car like mine with factory Bilsteins. Be warned. :angry2:

Eibachs are reportedly very good, but unfortunately out of production. Epic Engineering is similar to the Eibachs.

As soon my coilovers are installed I'll be selling my Epics. Will create a new thread when ready.
GTbee

Postby THERB3 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Are we talking about Teins springs or coilovers ?
Which bad experience didn't you like ?
MY05 Subaru Liberty Wagon 3.0RB Silver 6MT

Modifications:
19" Rays/Volk GT30 Wheels :: Hi Tech Mufflers :: HKS Panel Filter :: STi Front Lip :: 6000K HID Driving/Fog Lights :: LED Parkers/Licence/Map/Dome :: Brembo Package :: V-Tune :: Tein Flex Coilovers & EDFC Controller :: HKC Carbon Bonnet Scoop :: Hanabi Smoked LED Rear Tail Lights :: Eyelids :: Goodridge Braided Lines :: JDM Front Bar :: Corazon Grille :: Pioneer AVH-X8650BT / Alpine PDX5 Amp

Current Plans:
Whiteline SwayBars ::
THERB3
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0RB Wagon

Postby shav » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:06 pm

GTbee wrote:
One or two might be happy with the Teins but most were definitely not. They are utterly fucked with a car like mine with factory Bilsteins. Be warned. :angry2:

Eibachs are reportedly very good, but unfortunately out of production. Epic Engineering is similar to the Eibachs.

As soon my coilovers are installed I'll be selling my Epics. Will create a new thread when ready.

Dam. If you had a Gt I would have been super keen to buy. I think the 3R's have a different front spring rate to the GT's yes?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby trismang » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:35 pm

How will I know which eibachs/teins/kings fit my car?
trismang

Postby GTbee » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:04 pm

THERB3 wrote:Are we talking about Teins springs or coilovers ?
Which bad experience didn't you like ?

S-Tech Springs.

Far too hard.

Far too low.

Completely useless in all conditions except on a road like a billiard table.

shav wrote:
Dam. If you had a Gt I would have been super keen to buy. I think the 3R's have a different front spring rate to the GT's yes?

Apparently not enough for the Shockworks coil overs I'll be installing to warrant a H6 specific front setup. They only have a variant for the wagons.

Having said that I know STI have specific springs for H6s and may even have different rates for auto and manual H6's, for example. But I don't think it will make much difference to be honest. I think people have fitted STI springs rated for a 2.5 GT speed to a 3.0R and it worked fine. The 4 cylinder wouldn't be that much lighter with that heaver and beefier 6 speed box.
GTbee

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.