clank sound : turned wheels and riding over the obstacle

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

clank sound : turned wheels and riding over the obstacle

Postby klam » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:48 pm

all the sh.t is happening at once with my car recently but so far I hold the firm ground.. I guess it's just ageing a bit. I've just had the resonating issues fixed by changing the front wheel hubs, so I can move onto locating and possibly fixing the problem I've been facing for quite a while. before I describe the problem my car already went through
- new suspensions front and rear 2 weeks ago (along with the rubber seats)
- lower control am bushes changed 15.000km ago,
- new cv boots,
- new front wheel hubs today

so, when I ride over the obstacle (speed bump, potholes etc) with my wheel straight at normal speed, the response is pretty good, no weird sounds. but as soon as I'm turning somewhere, either a driveway, roundabout whatever and hit some obstacle like the driveway entrance from street (usually bit higher than the road surface), it being the cobblestones on the roundabout or just the concrete of the roundabout, or a pothole that I run into each night, then there is a really heavy clank sound coming from the front, either right or left it depends, like if the top struts of the suspensions were loose and everything is hammering in there, but I've been assured the suspensions are fitted correctly (and I had the same problem even while I had the old suspensions), all the bushes are new and structurally fine... what it could be? is it a normal that the sounds are different based on the wheel rotation?

mechanic said that the only thing that is not top notch are the "stabilizer bar ends", which I reckon are the sway bar links... could that cause the problems?

thanks for your thoughts
klam

Car: Subaru Liberty 2006 4GEN MY06 2.0R

Re: clank sound : turned wheels and riding over the obstacle

Postby jacks-GTB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:01 pm

Definitely check the swaybar links....or swaybar bushings...put on hoist & give a good push & pull...you'll soon hear if it's anything to do with swaybar...
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Re: clank sound : turned wheels and riding over the obstacle

Postby klam » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 pm

sorry to bring up a bit older post... I've replaced the swaybar links and the bushings front/rear. noticeable less noise.

but one problem still persists and that is that clank sound and today I've just found that I can realtively easily reproduce it... by hitting the steering wheel from top. seriously, that makes the metal / on metal sound that I've been complaining about for some time. What could be the problem ? Steering rack? I feel it quite a bit of vibrations even on seemingly smooth surface (m4 from strathfield to parramatta), not much, but it's there... I feel like the steering column is not very tight inside or something. any ideas on how/what to inspect?

thanks
klam

Car: Subaru Liberty 2006 4GEN MY06 2.0R

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.