Bed in Akebono ceramics??

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Bed in Akebono ceramics??

Postby Out6ack » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:10 pm

Replacing front pads with Akebono ceramics along with new Brembo solid rotors.

Confused as to whether to bed these in using the '8 progressively harder braking episodes from 100kph to near stop, then let cool' orrrrrr 'they're ceramic; just let them settle in naturally over a few hundred km's' of normal driving.'

Got this from google:

Proper breakin of Akebono pads

Rather than simply follow general advice on breaking in Akebono pads (also know as bedding) I decided to email the experts. Here is the response.

Thank you for your inquiry and for choosing Akebono Euro brake pads for your BMW. On the question of bedding procedures: We do not believe any special care needs be taken after the pads are installed especially if your rotors are new OE quality, or the existing good condition rotors are used at the time of new pad installation, as long as the rotors have not been resurfaced with a brake lathe. Akebono pads are fully cured during the manufacturing process and there are no "green" resins or binders at the surface as you might expect with other aftermarket friction materials. Our manufacturing process is unique and not shared by other aftermarket manufacturers.

If your rotors were resurfaced it is possible that the finish is now outside of OE specification for smoothness (Ra 15-30 microns) and you may not realize the full bite potential of the Euro pads until that smoothness has a chance to re-form and a friction transfer layer has occurred. The transfer layer usually appears as a blackish finish on the rotor surfaces, and should be very polished in appearance. This event will feel like a bedding procedure but in fact it is rotor burnishing procedure. There is no particular Akebono recommended procedure required and it will happen naturally, if you will.

I hope I have been able to address your concern. Please feel free to ask for more information should you need it.

Sincerely,

Robin Gedye
Sr. Product Manager, Aftermarket Div.
Akebono Brake Company - U.S.H.Q.
310 Ring Road
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
Tel: (270) 234-5547 Cell: (859) 805 1849
http://www.showmetheparts.com/akebono/

(End)

So will doing the '8 progressively harder braking' thing help (or hinder) the bedding in at all..?
Or should I just set & forget??
I haven't done this before so I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. :wink:
Out6ack

Car: 05 Outback 3.0 Premium.

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.