Shockworks Coilovers & BBK

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: Shockworks Coilovers & BBK

Postby owen » Tue May 06, 2014 9:42 pm

Bezzza wrote:Big claims indeed and I'm definitly interested.

Sounds like the company knows there stuff in regards to shocks!
August should give me enough time to save my golden dollars too :)

Questions:
Camber adjustable fronts?
Adjustable damping?
Height difference achieved?
Wagon vs Sedan available?
(Did see you will possibly be testing for wagon in this thread)

Camber, and hopefully caster adjustment tops on the front.
Adjustable damping
Height adjustment will be slightly limited compared to BCs. (You won't be able to dump them super low as you'll need the travel)
Yes wagon rear damping will be slightly different to sedan
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby Bezzza » Tue May 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Super low is just silly IMO so 15-20mm be plenty!

All the rest sounds fantastic Owen :good:
Good luck with all the R&D!
mod -> tune -> drive -> get bored -> repeat...
Bezzza

Car: MY08 tb STi Wagon, 5AT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17319

Postby m1kerobo » Tue May 06, 2014 10:12 pm

These are the kind of coilovers I would be interested in! For now though the billies are perfect, when they start to pack it in I'll be coming to you though.. maybe sooner..
When you say that there will be less low available, how much lower than say stock B-spec ride height do you think you will be able to achieve?
Also, I'm just in the next suburb from you so if you were looking for a wagon guinea pig I'd consider it - will be fitting 18x8.5s with 245 wide RE002s within a week...
m1kerobo

Car: MY05 3.0R-B Wagon

Postby Manaz » Tue May 06, 2014 11:35 pm

My first set of questions was similar to bezza's, and you've answered those. After that, how often will they require rebuilds, and what is the likely cost/process for said rebuilds?

I saw in the "DFV coilovers discontinued" that changing the rear top-mounts to Evo V/VI top mounts was recommended, to increase available suspension travel in the rear. Will shockworks be supplying rear top mounts to meet this requirement, or do they have any comment on this?

I'm not interested in super-low, I'm interested in adjustability (the ability to easily set them up for various uses like 'track' and 'road' etc) and quality. If these can deliver those requirements, I'm in, particularly for this price. Consider my interest expressed for a set for an MY09 GT Spec.B sedan with 5EAT. :)
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby brainy » Tue May 06, 2014 11:54 pm

I'm interested to know exactly what hours of testing means? Is this basically a product that they have which is almost a one size fits all and that they just need to make some adjustments to the design length etc?Also, i'm happy to back Au products, keeping jobs in the country and all that, but these are produced in Korea correct?

With the extra travel required for the spring, is it safe to assume that they are lighter? What is the kg rating of the spring? Would the ride be more comfortable than say the Billy's and bc br's, k2 etc?

Brian
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
brainy

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Postby owen » Wed May 07, 2014 6:58 am

Manaz wrote:My first set of questions was similar to bezza's, and you've answered those. After that, how often will they require rebuilds, and what is the likely cost/process for said rebuilds?

I saw in the "DFV coilovers discontinued" that changing the rear top-mounts to Evo V/VI top mounts was recommended, to increase available suspension travel in the rear. Will shockworks be supplying rear top mounts to meet this requirement, or do they have any comment on this?

I'm not interested in super-low, I'm interested in adjustability (the ability to easily set them up for various uses like 'track' and 'road' etc) and quality. If these can deliver those requirements, I'm in, particularly for this price. Consider my interest expressed for a set for an MY09 GT Spec.B sedan with 5EAT. :)

Hi Rob,
I shall get back to you with a definitive answer at a later stage. Your question is a lot harder to answer while it's still in preproduction stage.
owen

Postby owen » Wed May 07, 2014 7:04 am

brainy wrote:I'm interested to know exactly what hours of testing means? Is this basically a product that they have which is almost a one size fits all and that they just need to make some adjustments to the design length etc?Also, i'm happy to back Au products, keeping jobs in the country and all that, but these are produced in Korea correct?

With the extra travel required for the spring, is it safe to assume that they are lighter? What is the kg rating of the spring? Would the ride be more comfortable than say the Billy's and bc br's, k2 etc?

Brian

What happens is that we draw and measure a sample damper here and send them to NeoTech. They'll manufacture and send back to us,
and we enter stage 2 - custom valving.
Fit to car, drive. Remove from car, more custom valving. Repeat by about 6 or 7 times.
Save final revision, remove from my car, revalve again, fit to BBB's wagon and repeat.
Exact spring rates can't be quoted yet because we'll be changing them as tuning progresses. We will start a neutral 5kg front and rear and work from there.
The ride will be SO much more comfortable than BCs.
Last edited by owen on Wed May 07, 2014 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
owen

Postby Manaz » Wed May 07, 2014 7:16 am

owen wrote:Hi Rob,
I shall get back to you with a definitive answer at a later stage. Your question is a lot harder to answer while it's still in preproduction stage.

No worries, thanks!

PS tell the Shockworks guys that they have web hosting issues "Account suspended" when visiting http://www.shockworks.com.au
Manaz

Postby owen » Wed May 07, 2014 7:27 am

Manaz wrote:

No worries, thanks!

PS tell the Shockworks guys that they have web hosting issues "Account suspended" when visiting http://www.shockworks.com.au

Cheers. This just happened this morning as I was still browsing last night
owen

Postby owen » Wed May 07, 2014 7:30 am

Manaz wrote:I saw in the "DFV coilovers discontinued" that changing the rear top-mounts to Evo V/VI top mounts was recommended, to increase available suspension travel in the rear. Will shockworks be supplying rear top mounts to meet this requirement, or do they have any comment on this?

When we were examining the Ohlins, Chris commented that he understands why entry level coilovers have used a much higher spring rate on the rear. It's to compensate for the limited travel. He did mention that they were going to fix that.
owen

Postby Manaz » Wed May 07, 2014 7:49 am

owen wrote:
Manaz wrote:

No worries, thanks!

Cheers. This just happened this morning as I was still browsing last night

Not a big deal. I suspect they've exceeded a monthly data transmission limit with their web hosting provider - fixing it should be easy. We possibly sent them over the edge by all looking at their site :P
Manaz

Postby luijustin » Wed May 07, 2014 9:49 am

owen wrote:
bigBADbenny wrote:I understand Shockworks has quite a different approach to damping and spring rates.
Could you elaborate, and give us an insight into the CV of the man behind Shockworks, that ultimately led to this strategy?

The general approach is softer spring rates, more damping and smaller/no sway bars. This formula mixed with their custom valve coding (which is too complicated for me to even begin to understand) gives the car grip never felt before.

You said that their approach is to use smaller/no sway bars.
For ppl who have upgraded sway bars, how will these coilovers perform? would you recommend returning to stock sway bars?
luijustin

Postby owen » Wed May 07, 2014 10:41 am

It's much more difficult to tune with factory sway bars as you need so much more damping power.
I don't want to tune them with my thick sway bars and sell them to somebody with stock sway bars and have them feeling it's too soft. To answer your question, I would recommend selling your thick swaybars to somebody with BCs or Kidos or Pedders etc, or keep them for that extra firm feel (although you may lose some grip).
owen

Postby Manaz » Wed May 07, 2014 11:11 am

owen wrote:It's much more difficult to tune with factory sway bars as you need so much more damping power.
I don't want to tune them with my thick sway bars and sell them to somebody with stock sway bars and have them feeling it's too soft. To answer your question, I would recommend selling your thick swaybars to somebody with BCs or Kidos or Pedders etc, or keep them for that extra firm feel (although you may lose some grip).

So to clarify - the development is being done with stock swaybars in mind?
Manaz

Postby owen » Wed May 07, 2014 11:28 am

Manaz wrote:
owen wrote:It's much more difficult to tune with factory sway bars as you need so much more damping power.

So to clarify - the development is being done with stock swaybars in mind?

Correct. I'm removing my AVO swaybars and refitting factory ones in the near future
owen

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.