Shockworks Coilovers & BBK

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: Shockworks Coilovers & BBK

Postby owen » Wed May 07, 2014 11:30 am

Website is back up.

Update: 1 year warranty. Covers track use but doesn't cover physical damage (if you stack it and bend something, they can be repaired accordingly and only charged for the part)
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby SH30RB » Wed May 07, 2014 12:47 pm

Subscribed.

Definitely keen upgrade my coilovers to something of quality standards and get rid of my very entry level coilovers
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby owen » Wed May 07, 2014 12:50 pm

SH30RB wrote:Subscribed.

Definitely keen upgrade my coilovers to something of quality standards and get rid of my very entry level coilovers

Noted 8)
owen

Postby Bezzza » Wed May 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Manaz wrote:
owen wrote:It's much more difficult to tune with factory sway bars as you need so much more damping power.
I don't want to tune them with my thick sway bars and sell them to somebody with stock sway bars and have them feeling it's too soft. To answer your question, I would recommend selling your thick swaybars to somebody with BCs or Kidos or Pedders etc, or keep them for that extra firm feel (although you may lose some grip).

So to clarify - the development is being done with stock swaybars in mind?

With a lot of aftermarket swaybars and links, they can be adjusted considerably in terms of stiffness.

My whiteline rear has a hard/soft setting as well as a fair bit of play in the end links.
Front is non adjustable but the links are.

Personally will just be sticking with what I have now and setting to softest settings :)
mod -> tune -> drive -> get bored -> repeat...
Bezzza

Car: MY08 tb STi Wagon, 5AT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17319

Postby owen » Wed May 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Manaz wrote:My first set of questions was similar to bezza's, and you've answered those. After that, how often will they require rebuilds, and what is the likely cost/process for said rebuilds?

I saw in the "DFV coilovers discontinued" that changing the rear top-mounts to Evo V/VI top mounts was recommended, to increase available suspension travel in the rear. Will shockworks be supplying rear top mounts to meet this requirement, or do they have any comment on this?

We charge $80 per damper to rebuild and after running them full time in the daily R34 for 3 years using the same oil and top package I can say that rebuild will not be all too frequent.

Being an in board coilover there is a larger wheel travel than what the damper actually shows, in saying this we will do initial testing with the longest rod possible with your car and make sure it still packages correctly.
owen

Postby Manaz » Wed May 07, 2014 3:32 pm

owen wrote:We charge $80 per damper to rebuild and after running them full time in the daily R34 for 3 years using the same oil and top package I can say that rebuild will not be all too frequent.

Being an in board coilover there is a larger wheel travel than what the damper actually shows, in saying this we will do initial testing with the longest rod possible with your car and make sure it still packages correctly.

:clapping:
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby PUDZ RSC3.0RB » Wed May 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Hey lads & Owen

Awesome discussion and feedback, a lot of my ??'s have been answered.

BTW Owen, u get my ITB pm ( intention to buy ). :lol:
PUDZ RSC3.0RB

Car: 05 Liberty Trolly
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22581

Postby DownUnder » Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 pm

Consider me interested.

My stock suspension is close to 200K old and is really not performing. One thing that's kept me away from coilovers is the comfort factor. Seeing as most of my driving is on crappy Adelaide roads how will these handle in regards to potholes/sudden dips etc. Provided they can do what you say they can, I'm very keen.
TOM

2004 MY04 2.5i Liberty Wagon (5MT)
DownUnder

Car: 2004 MY04 Liberty 2.5i Wagon Manual
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24070

Postby owen » Wed May 07, 2014 11:53 pm

PUDZ RSC3.0RB wrote:Hey lads & Owen

Awesome discussion and feedback, a lot of my ??'s have been answered.

BTW Owen, u get my ITB pm ( intention to buy ). :lol:

Thanks, I have received PM and intention to buy has been noted :) I originally planned to order 10 sets to start. Looking more like 15 at this rate.
owen

Postby owen » Thu May 08, 2014 12:01 am

DownUnder wrote:Consider me interested.

My stock suspension is close to 200K old and is really not performing. One thing that's kept me away from coilovers is the comfort factor. Seeing as most of my driving is on crappy Adelaide roads how will these handle in regards to potholes/sudden dips etc. Provided they can do what you say they can, I'm very keen.

Hi Tom,
As mentioned, the first phase of test&tuning will be done on the roads of Monbulk, where there are craters in the road, crests, corner entry potholes, mid corner bumps, dips where you'd bottom out if going fast enough etc.
The Shockworks aren't going to be magical. They definitely won't be as soft and comfortable as OE Bilsteins, but the for extra grip, stability and balance, the small loss of comfort is inevitable and a small price to pay for the advantages you gain. Having said that, they won't be anywhere near as harsh as the entry-mid level and high end (Japanese) coilovers on the market.
owen

Postby DownUnder » Thu May 08, 2014 5:35 am

owen wrote:Hi Tom,
As mentioned, the first phase of test&tuning will be done on the roads of Monbulk, where there are craters in the road, crests, corner entry potholes, mid corner bumps, dips where you'd bottom out if going fast enough etc.
The Shockworks aren't going to be magical. They definitely won't be as soft and comfortable as OE Bilsteins, but the for extra grip, stability and balance, the small loss of comfort is inevitable and a small price to pay for the advantages you gain. Having said that, they won't be anywhere near as harsh as the entry-mid level and high end (Japanese) coilovers on the market.

Seems like exactly what I want. Everyday comfort with that little bit of edge I need when I wanna have fun. Definitely keen for the first batch.
TOM

2004 MY04 2.5i Liberty Wagon (5MT)
DownUnder

Car: 2004 MY04 Liberty 2.5i Wagon Manual
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24070

Postby kikxz » Thu May 08, 2014 9:35 am

Subscribed and Interested Owen
kikxz

Car: MY06 GTSTI

Postby owen » Thu May 08, 2014 10:10 am

kikxz wrote:Subscribed and Interested Owen

Noted:) cheers.
owen

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 08, 2014 11:49 am

I cleaned up my stock swaybars in preparation for testing.
The front is solid, quite heavy, and the rear must be tubular and is much lighter in comparison.
If the shocks can be tuned to suit stock swaybars, its got to be a good thing, as then upgrade swaybars, especially the adjustable type like mine, could then be used to fine tune the handling.
Am I on the right track?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby owen » Thu May 08, 2014 12:12 pm

Right track indeed. The coilovers will be tuned for mid level street tyres such as Potenza S001.

With grippier street legal semis and R compound tyres, you can fine tune with thicker, harder sway bar setups.
owen

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.