Page 1 of 1

Tyre Homolgation List

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:51 pm
by michaelfinger
Hello,

Has anyone come across the list or know of what tyres Liberty MY07 B-Spec are on the OEM Homologation list? I know most (if not all) came with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's but are there others?

Before you say that I'm crazy, just go get any tyre, I'm doing this because the previous owner put super noisy Falken's on the car. Because I work for a car company I know the importance of having the OEM tyre as they were developed together for a reason.

All the best!

Michael.

Re: Tyre Homolgation List

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:01 pm
by BUDDAH
Any reason you're not happy to just buy another set of Potenza RE050A's ?

Re: Tyre Homolgation List

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:16 pm
by Deep Heat
I doubt RE050A are specially made for our cars.

VZ commodores and about 100 other cars came with them standard.

Re: Tyre Homolgation List

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:24 pm
by BUDDAH
Deep Heat wrote:I doubt RE050A are specially made for our cars.

VZ commodores and about 100 other cars came with them standard.




Think Michael meant the suspension was designed around the RE050 to give the best all round match. I do agree with OEM fitment I had 3 sets of RE0s on the Lib and drove a few with other rubber and was always happy with my decision to say with OEMs

Re: Tyre Homolgation List

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:52 pm
by michaelfinger
BUDDAH wrote:
Deep Heat wrote:I doubt RE050A are specially made for our cars.

VZ commodores and about 100 other cars came with them standard.




Think Michael meant the suspension was designed around the RE050 to give the best all round match. I do agree with OEM fitment I had 3 sets of RE0s on the Lib and drove a few with other rubber and was always happy with my decision to say with OEMs


That's it Buddah! And, well I'm wanting to keep the options open in case I come across a good deal with a business partner in another brand.

Re: Tyre Homolgation List

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:36 pm
by Manaz
Deep Heat wrote:I doubt RE050A are specially made for our cars.

VZ commodores and about 100 other cars came with them standard.


Also be aware that there can be substantial variation between tyres of the same "model" across manufacturing plants and even years of manufacture at the same plant.

Many people used to look for the Japanese made RE050As rather than the Australian made ones, but as I remember it, at one stage during the model life (bearing in mind they're a really old design now), that swapped, and the Japanese made ones fell out of favour.

Bridgestone currently list the Potenza S001 as the most appropriate tyre for a post-FL GT Spec.B, but do list the T001, RE050A and RE002 as suitable options as well. I currently have Pirelli P-Zero Nero tyres on my car (with an RE050A as the spare still), and they don't seem as bad a tyre as I remember Pirelli offered for a while (I used to love Pirellis, but really went off them). I know a few Liberty owners who also know their tyres who have put Michelin Pilot Sport 2/3s and Continental ContiSportContacts on their cars and been very happy with them (you'll note that none of these are cheap tyres - I don't believe in cheap tyres myself).

I personally think the mix of 18" wheel and the Bilstein suspension on the Spec.Bs was a bad idea for Australian roads, and am going back to a 17" wheel with a little bit more sidewall height (235/45R17 against 215/40R18). Probably going for the RE002s, though I do wonder how long they'll last and if they'll get noisy as they age (they look much more aggressive than the RE001 they supposedly replaced in the Potenza lineup) - they're almost a semi-slick...

Re: Tyre Homolgation List

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:02 am
by Adrian2627
Subaru here in Japan recommended the Potenza S-001 as an upgrade or Yokohama S-Drives as a replacement. Depends on what you are looking for from your tyres.