Page 1 of 4

Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:54 am
by pgardiye
Hey Guys,

Sorry if I'm asking a question which had been already answered in this forum, I tried going through threads to see if I could find a similar type question but no luck so far. So posting here and hopefully someone can answer. Bit confused about wheel sizes here.

I have a GEN4 liberty sedan which I'm thinking of upgrading wheels to 18inch. I have been looking at few wheels and wondering which one will be a better fit and would size affects speedometer readings?

1st preference 18 x 7.5 - http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/store/wheel-tyre-packages/xxr-530-18x7-5-5x100-flat-black-wheel-tyre-package.html

2nd preference 18 x 8 -http://tempetyres.com.au/products.php?18x8.0%20Lenso%20DC6%20-%20DGJ

same as 1st one but size is 18 x 8.75 - http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/store/wheel-tyre-packages/xxr-530-18x8-75-5x100-flat-black-wheel-tyre-package.html

:roll:

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:20 am
by mynameisdaniel
It's all in the tyre size. Obviously you need to (well you should) run a tyre width similar to the rim width. And your links didn't work, but depending on the offsets 8.75 will be a bit hard to fit without guard work and camber.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:25 am
by pgardiye
hey thanks, with (tempetyres) 18x8.0 Lenso DC6 - DGJ, i can get kumho 225/40 for the package. Is that a better tyre size?

ophs, I will update links soon.

mynameisdaniel wrote:It's all in the tyre size. Obviously you need to (well you should) run a tyre width similar to the rim width. And your links didn't work, but depending on the offsets 8.75 will be a bit hard to fit without guard work and camber.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am
by mynameisdaniel
Do you know what the offset is? You'll want around +50 to +45 to be safe with clearances on stock suspension.

What's the standard size tyre on your car? Different Liberty models have different tyres, whether or not the ECU values vary I'm not sure. But it's safest to stick to something close to the standard ones.

225/40/18 is the standard size for the 08 GT tbSTi and should be close enough on any model though :)

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:10 am
by cruisn
Its all about offset more so than tyre size.

Your limited with stock suspension as you cant get the adjustment/fitment required for more aggressive offsets/widths.

Need to know offsets really, on stock suspension, id suggest 8" wide max with a +45 offset max.

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:31 am
by pgardiye
Thanks guys, I'm not sure offset size as website doesn't give our much info apart from size and width. I have emailed them asking for offset will let you know when i get a reply back.

With my stock tyres, can't remember on top of my head, will post as soon as i get home today :)

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:34 pm
by pgardiye
Ok for the wheel XXR 530 18X7.5 5X100 FLAT BLACK offset it 35+ and ozzytyres said can be machine back if needed. Is that a better offset size?

cruisn wrote:Its all about offset more so than tyre size.

Your limited with stock suspension as you cant get the adjustment/fitment required for more aggressive offsets/widths.

Need to know offsets really, on stock suspension, id suggest 8" wide max with a +45 offset max.

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:43 pm
by cruisn
Be extremely wary of anyone who will machine the back of wheels thats not the manufacturer.

+35 is too much. On a 7.5 you can go a +40 225 with no issues on standard suspension. +35 will see you having to roll the rears.

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:40 pm
by pgardiye
Thanks crusin. Very helpful :). so 40-45 offset is a good size i assume for a 18x7.5 with 225/40? I might have to look around for more wheels now. Really liked the look of that wheel...

cruisn wrote:Be extremely wary of anyone who will machine the back of wheels thats not the manufacturer.

+35 is too much. On a 7.5 you can go a +40 225 with no issues on standard suspension. +35 will see you having to roll the rears.

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:31 pm
by HoFF
The xxrs just won't fit. A few guys have tried.

Have a read through starrns build thread.

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 pm
by pgardiye
Thanks for the info Hoff, will read up on below thread soon. I found another one through tirerack site.

Size: 18x8
Offset: 48mm
Backspacing: 6.34"
Bolt Pattern: 5-100
Rec. Tire Size: 225/40-18
Weight: 23.3lbs.
Finish: Black w/Machined Undercut

Will they be a better fit with 48mm offset?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=888500B4872BUC&wheelMake=Avarus&wheelModel=AV8&wheelFinish=Black+w%2FMachined+Undercut&showRear=no&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan+2.5I&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=Base+Model&filterFinish=All&filterSize=18&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

HoFF wrote:The xxrs just won't fit. A few guys have tried.

Have a read through starrns build thread.

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:44 pm
by HoFF
They seem to be the same specs as the Jdm enkeis so as far as I can tell they would be a perfect fit.

Mark would be able to confirm this maybe even a photo of when he had a set fitted to his gen4.

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:14 pm
by pgardiye
Standard size i have 215/45 17ins... if I put 225/40 18ins would it be a big different with speedometer readings?

mynameisdaniel wrote:Do you know what the offset is? You'll want around +50 to +45 to be safe with clearances on stock suspension.

What's the standard size tyre on your car? Different Liberty models have different tyres, whether or not the ECU values vary I'm not sure. But it's safest to stick to something close to the standard ones.

225/40/18 is the standard size for the 08 GT tbSTi and should be close enough on any model though :)

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:16 pm
by pgardiye
Thanks Hoff, I got my mind set on these set of wheels now. Mind sharing a link to Mark's install?

HoFF wrote:They seem to be the same specs as the Jdm enkeis so as far as I can tell they would be a perfect fit.

Mark would be able to confirm this maybe even a photo of when he had a set fitted to his gen4.

Re: Wheels question

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:24 pm
by HoFF
viewtopic.php?t=7193

It's a big read but worth it.