King Springs for gen4 liberty. I want your input

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

King Springs for gen4 liberty. I want your input

Postby Boostedliberty » Thu May 02, 2013 9:49 am

Hey everyone,

Bit of a newbie on these forums

Recently purchased a gen4 gt for my wife recently and have played with different combinations of king springs for the car combined with Koni externally adjustable conversion in the front with matching rears.
I have fitted these same shocks to a best mates post lift gen4 a few years ago with factory standard springs and the ride was firm but not hard and handling was awesome!

First Spring Combo

I fitted KSFL-42SP (front) & KSRL-27 (rear)

Ride height and hub to guard measurements were pretty good
The KSFL-42SP is designated for non turbo base models... as KSFL-42 is generally too high for base model gen4's
I went and fitted these to her GT.
I cut the bump stops down still had bump travel.
I knew the car wasn’t sitting on the front bump stops and I couldn’t get the front end to stop oscillating .
I used the rebound adjustment on the Koni's to help control the oscillation but wasn’t satisfied.

I fitted KSFL-42 and immediately the ride was awesome again... but too high in the front (365mm hub to guard)... i will upload a new photo

I have tried 2 coil springs from Kings so far. In terms of design, the coil spring design that is used in the gen4 is a tricky design.
It is difficult to get the spring at a nice low height and to be captive (trapped) when the suspension is at full droop.

Easiest way to get myself sorted is having a KSFL-42 custom made 30mm shorter and pulling apart the front koni's and fitted a 30mm limiter.
Problem is that this spring fitted to a normal set of KYB's or Bilstein's will be untrapped and sloppy if someone wanted to KSFL-42 but lower with a good ride quality.

Working at Wholesale Suspension, we have a close relationship with King Springs and I can get anything made. I just wanted everyone's input that has or had King Springs in their gen4 liberty.

old Photo of KSFL-42SP & KSRL-27 fitted

Question #1:Liberty Gen4 non-turbo owners: Do you have KSFL-42SP fitted to your car? If so what do you think of the ride quality? (Pro's and Con's)
What hub to guard measurement (centre of hub to guard lip) do you have.

Question #2:Liberty Gen4 non-turbo & turbo and H6 owners: Do you have KSFL-42 fitted to your car? (Pro's and Con's)
What hub to guard measurement (centre of hub to guard lip) do you have.

Awaiting to hear your input
Boostedliberty

Car: LGT-20T (183/300 Tuned By STi)

Re: King Springs for gen4 liberty. I want your input

Postby Boostedliberty » Sat May 04, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm currently have 1 pair of custom made springs. Made with the same specs, just with wire diameter of 0.5mm thinner.
This will allow the cool to stay trapped and have approximately another 10-15mm lower without affecting the current spring rate.
Boostedliberty

Postby Boostaddict » Sun May 05, 2013 8:59 am

Sorry maybe a odd question.

Why dont you just go a set of coil overs and have all the adjustability that you need in terms of damper etc and then get custom springs made to your spec and.... Done!! Exactly what you want.

Why bother mucking around with king springs ??

Ive had kings in most of my previous cars incl my B4 and the ride was horrible. So i will be going coil overs so i can adjust them to my liking.

You have all the access in the world working at wholesale suspension !!
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby SH30RB » Sun May 05, 2013 9:36 am

I had those springs in my H6 wagon paired with bilstein shocks before I got my coilovers.
The ride was quite harsh and the rear sat a little higher than the fronts, uneven ride height which I didn't like.when the springs were first installed, the rear was raised 10mm over the stock springs but did eventually sag.
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby Boostedliberty » Mon May 06, 2013 8:47 am

What part number spring did you have in the front? ... if you remember?
Boostedliberty

Postby SH30RB » Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 am

KSFL-42 in the front and KSRL-27 in the rear.

They were for an MY04+ GT sedan because at the time of purchase, that was the only model Liberty they catered for (thats what I gathered from their online catalogue)
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby Clearlight » Sun May 22, 2016 2:29 am

I have Koni yellows in the rear of a gen 4 , with standard springs . The spring platforms supplied were shorter than the standard setup
meaning ride height was raised about 30mm . Not a bad thing in this case as I often carry up to 150 kg in the boot and back seat .
A slightly stiffer spring would match the valving better , as it does jack down slightly over several fast bumps . As the Koni's loosen
up they are starting to match the spring rate better , top adjusters are on 0 . Car is much nicer to drive on gravel roads now than
previously .
Will be contacting Wholesale Suspension again soon to do the front struts as well , which are tired standard units . Am interested to
hear if anyone has had King Springs fitted with only a slight rate upgrade and standard or higher ride height , rather than lower .
Clearlight

Car: Liberty BL

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun May 22, 2016 7:21 pm

Intriguing... Std Konis in front or Billies???
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Clearlight » Sun May 22, 2016 11:35 pm

Fronts are some kind of KYB . Odo is 170k , apparently they were replaced by the previous owner at 120 k .
With the higher rear ride height the car turns in much better , and understeers a lot less . With the rear drive
disabled , its a hoot to drive on gravel with a little left foot braking . Will polly fit Koni yellows to the front
once I do some calculations on wire diameter and free length and get some springs made .
Clearlight

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon May 23, 2016 7:17 am

Rear drive disabled???
bigBADbenny

Postby fedaykin » Mon May 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Clearlight wrote:Fronts are some kind of KYB . Odo is 170k , apparently they were replaced by the previous owner at 120 k .
With the higher rear ride height the car turns in much better , and understeers a lot less . With the rear drive
disabled , its a hoot to drive on gravel with a little left foot braking . Will polly fit Koni yellows to the front
once I do some calculations on wire diameter and free length and get some springs made .

Are you high?
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby Clearlight » Wed May 25, 2016 12:55 am

fedaykin wrote:
Clearlight wrote:Fronts are some kind of KYB . Odo is 170k , apparently they were replaced by the previous owner at 120 k .

Are you high?

No , are you incompetent ? Drive on gravel much ? Competed in any rounds of the ARC ? Have you ever driven a French car or a Jag ?
Clearlight

Postby Clearlight » Wed May 25, 2016 1:00 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Rear drive disabled???

Clutch assy on rear of gearbox ( auto ) was dying so I inserted FWD only fuse , car is more fun to drive
In this configuration . Much more co operative doing hand brake turns and front end throws …..
Clearlight

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 am

Fascinating, raising the rear is said to increase oversteer potential.
What's a front end throw?
Induce understeer to oversteer transition? Or a scandi flick?
bigBADbenny

Postby Clearlight » Wed May 25, 2016 11:55 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Fascinating, raising the rear is said to increase oversteer potential.
What's a front end throw?
Induce understeer to oversteer transition? Or a scandi flick?

Corrrect on increasing oversteer Benny , or decreasing understeer on a plough master like the Liberty ,
especially on dirt . I appreciate its very unfashionable to raise ride height on this site , and not run
18 inch rims , but I do a lot of gravel driving . For longer trips out west , I will be acquiring some
15 or 16 inch rims and higher profile tyres to match the OD of the standard 17 inch / 45 profile setup .
The bump travel at the rear of my Liberty was a joke when I got it , around 1.5 CM to the bump stop .
I now have around 6 CM , and still have enough droop travel , although more would be better .
Actual wheel travel is a little more due to the motion ratio involved . The increased ride height is
useful avoiding grounding the underside of vehicle on the crown of gravel in the centre of a lot of
country roads .

A front end throw may be achieved by reversing at speed , turning steering wheel left or right as
appropriate rapidly , and applying brakes . If executed correctly , the front end of the vehicle will
rotate around , first or second gear can be selected and vehicle driven forward in the direction it was
reversing in . A fairly standard evasion technique . Works best in a vehicle without ABS , or 4WD .

A word of advice to all you folks who think 4wd is the quickest way to get around , have a look on
You Tube for some " Jean Ragnotti " rally videos . He regularly placed in the top 10 places in WRC
rounds , in a GP N front wheel drive Renault , against turbo 4wd opposition ….
There used to be a 2litre front wheel drive ' kit car' category in the WRC . It was abandoned at protest
of the major manufacturers running turbo 4wd cars , whose entries were being royally beaten on
most tarmac rounds .
Last edited by Clearlight on Wed May 25, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clearlight

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.