Page 1 of 1
Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 pm
by TheFirstEskimo
I'm looking at getting some front and rear sway bars and would like opinions on the difference of fixed and adjustable.
For example, if I was to buy adjustable fronts would it be necessary to get adjustable for the rear?
Has anyone run a combination of the two different types?
Also, what is the comparison of the two adjustible settings to a fixed bar? (In terms of stiffness)

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm
by zch91
We really don't have many choices with sizing - assuming you're talking whiteline.
To my understanding, the adjustable bar gives you 2 settings, we'll call them "stiff" and "soft"
Whereas the non adjustable has one setting - which is in the middle of the above "stiff" and "soft"
I am not a suspension specialist nor a mechanic so the above is only my opinion

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:11 pm
by shav
I would only go adjustable if I was setting my car up for track days. Otherwise the fixed versions are considered 'in between' soft and stiff. Perfect for the street.
Re: Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:25 pm
by HyRax
There is little difference between "hard" and "soft" settings. Besides that, once you feel the difference that it makes to your handling, invariably everyone leaves them on the "hard" setting anyway.
Thicker swaybars will firm up your ride a little, but it doesn't necessarily make it harsher. It means you'll feel potholes and speed bumps more readily but daily driving (except the corners) feel the same as before.
Re: Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:30 am
by TheFirstEskimo
Thanks for the comments people, much appreciated.
I think I'll end up going for the fixed on front and rear.
Re: Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:20 pm
by shav
TheFirstEskimo wrote:Thanks for the comments people, much appreciated.
I think I'll end up going for the fixed on front and rear.
Good idea, I think you'll be pretty happy with those. This is what i will be doing.
Another thing you will want to do when you do this is get the better sway bar mounts due to the stock ones being quite weak. Speak to Garage 88 for those.
Re: Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:53 pm
by overl0ad
consider endlinks as well. the stock ones aren't that stiff. and the setup will only be as strong as it's weakest link.
Re: Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 pm
by dawesy
shav wrote:TheFirstEskimo wrote:Thanks for the comments people, much appreciated.
I think I'll end up going for the fixed on front and rear.
Good idea, I think you'll be pretty happy with those. This is what i will be doing.
Another thing you will want to do when you do this is get the better sway bar mounts due to the stock ones being quite weak. Speak to Garage 88 for those.
Mounts are a good idea if you look it's like a 1.5mm bit of sheet it mounts too .
Although im not sure If anyone has bent or snapped one will just road driving.
Deff a worthwhile upgrade makes a noticeable difference in the feel of the car
Re: Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:14 am
by Kekotic
dawesy wrote:Although im not sure If anyone has bent or snapped one will just road driving.
Yep they have.
Re: Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:34 am
by PoidaGT
I had whiteline adjustable sways added to my Lib.
The rear were put on the firmest setting and the front on the softest setting.
MSR said this was the best street setting for my car which reduces body roll and understeer.
MSR also said I didn't need to upgrade the mounts, links or bushes etc.
I think this was a pretty good upgrade and well worth the cash.
Re: Sway Bar Advice

Posted:
Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:31 am
by Statts
Nice going, MSR. You will snap the rear mounts, at which point you'll work you just spent the extra $150 at the time.